Author Topic: Discrimination  (Read 3133 times)

Offline AlfaQ

• Posting Member
A while ago, early in my bra wearing journey I decided to visit a renowned UK bra fitting franchise in the North with a unique visual fitting method.  I arrived wearing a stetch tee shirt so it was obvious I had breast development and politely asked for a fitting. I was told that they don't fit men and that Sadie the bra lady had an exemption certificate for this.  The shop was empty and the fitter then showed me several bras in my usual size. I asked if I could quickly try one on. She refused. I asked if I  could retrun the  bras if they didn't fit. This was also refused.  So why did she waste my time as there was no way I was going to pay their premium prices without the certainty of knowing the bra fits. I left exasperated.  Fortunately snce then I have several very positive experiences mainly in large department stores. If anyone wants any advice about where to go for  UK bra fit just ask. 

Offline Justagirl💃

• When life gives you curves, Flaunt them! 🤗
Several years ago was my first stroll into Torrid. The manager was a little nervous, but friendly (I was still 'sort of' presenting as a male).

Her first suggestion was a sports bra with molded cups as she said, "this will give you support without adding too much projection."

I told her I didn't care about projection, and wanted the support only found in an underwire.

After a free "fitting" I walked out with an armful of bras. The service I received at that store that day kept me coming back all these years. 
When life gives you curves,
flaunt them! 💃
💋Birdie💋

Offline TikTak

• Bronze Member
I try to rationalize the seller's behavior.
It can be understood this way: she cares about her business, which is based on women.
Above all, they are the ones who are supposed to feel comfortable in the store.
The company of the opposite sex, in the fitting room, or at the counter, where intimate lingerie is selected - rather does not serve this purpose.
No wonder the saleswoman wanted to get rid of the unusual customer as soon as possible, despite the fact that he could give something to earn.
It's not nice for us, but that's the way it is.

Offline gotgyne

Discrimination shouldn't happen. At least if a shop sells women's lingerie and men's underwear, it should be no problem, since the salesladies can take several bras to the men's fitting rooms.
A bra is just an article of clothing for people with breasts.

Offline AlfaQ

• Posting Member
But she didn't try and get rid of me ASAP. That's the issue, she proceeded to try and sell me something that I  couldn't try on or return.  She even seemed to enjoy having this curiosity in the shop and took her time showing me a selection of suitable bras.  I am always polite and accepting of the situation as I have no wish to make anyone feel uncomfortable.  

Offline Johndoe1

I suspect many of us who prefer/require support have had this happen to us. I too have been told my money was not desired. There's a shop here in my town that does not fit men and makes it very clear up front. Even some large women's stores will not fit men. That's why I will call ahead and ask for the manager or owner and inquire their policy on fitting men. It seems to always come back to the small single proprietor shops that are the most accommodating. I also become just another customer with them and they know what my tastes and needs are. It becomes personal and enjoyable. A trust is built up. That's something you don't get in a large department store. 
Womanhood is not defined by breasts, and breasts are not indicative of womanhood. - Melissa Fabello

Offline Justagirl💃

• When life gives you curves, Flaunt them! 🤗
But she didn't try and get rid of me ASAP. That's the issue, she proceeded to try and sell me something that I  couldn't try on or return.  She even seemed to enjoy having this curiosity in the shop and took her time showing me a selection of suitable bras.  I am always polite and accepting of the situation as I have no wish to make anyone feel uncomfortable. 
Seems your came across someone that shouldn't have been in her position at all. 

Before going into Torrid I called Soma. I asked the girl about being fitted for a bra but told her I was male (I was still in boy-mode). 
They said they would by "appointment only". 
I went in and they never measured me and simply said they didn't have anything in my size. They did recommend Torrid. 

Here in my building one of my neighbours was diagnosed with gynecomastia. He asked where I buy bras, and how do I know what size. I told him Torrid would be happy to get him sorted. He of course said he was too embarrassed to go in, so I measured him myself out in the lobby (I always carry my Torrid tape with me in my handbag).

He measured in at about a B cup, and I told him Amazon has free returns. But the measurements are just a starting point. He will have to "shop and return" until he finds the right one since he is embarrassed. 

Bra shopping can be quite disturbing if you come across the wrong shops! 

We have some of the girls at Torrid that will simply measure you and hand you bras to try on (no hands-on fitting). Male or female, they just aren't comfortable with it. Everyone has a different comfort zone. It does sound like the woman you described in the UK needs to take a job selling washing machines instead. 

Offline Gino

• Bronze Member
The best way I found to buy a bra is after finding a brand that works and then buy online. 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024