Author Topic: 20 Years Old  (Read 1234 times)

Offline confusedandfrustrated

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 1
Hello All,

I recently (past ~4 months) have developed minor unilateral gynecomastia from unknown reasons. I'm 20 years old and fairly thin (5'7" 130lbs.) I've long passed puberty and am able to grow a full beard/have body hair. I'm not incredibly fit or active. I don't eat much/have much of an appetite. I don't have any sexual dysfunctions. I've never taken steroids.

Over the past year I've been diagnosed with low testosterone. My total testosterone has fluctuated between 212-400. This range is a lot lower than it should be for a male my age. I understand hormonal imbalance can cause gynecomastia.
I've met with my urologist on several occasions and he hasn't been much help.

I'm having a tough time researching similar situations online. It seems most people who have gynecomastia developed it at a young age, have had it for a long time, and were/are overweight. This is not my case.

What can be done for someone like me? Is surgery the only option?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

  • Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4740
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Since your gyne is relatively recent origin, there is the possibility that hormonal or other treatment may improve the situation.  Suggest a visit to an endocrinologist to assess your overall endocrine status and possibly treat with estrogen blocker medication or aromatase inhibitors.

Best of luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Website:  http://www.gynecomastianewyork.c


SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024