Author Topic: Crater Deformity - My options?  (Read 3170 times)

Offline wingman

• Silver Member
    • My Twitter
Hi all,

I have been a member for nearly two years and I had surgery exactly a year ago. My main post can be found near the top of the UK section, for those wishing for more details.

Essentially I am querying my options regarding concaving on both sides of my chest. I have had one shot on each side of steroids for the scar tissue from my original surgeon (Mr Levick, UK), which I believe has reduced the scar tissue considerably since the injection, but the crater deformity appears unchanged.

I have heard that fat grafting is one way around this. If another dose of steroid shots do not help the deformity, is this my only option to get this "fixed"?

A few pictures will help illustrate;-

Today, three weeks post steroid shot (one year post op);

A few days post op;

Pre op;

Many thanks for any advice.

Follow my Twitter: www.twitter.com/wingman0401

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
There may be a few misconceptions floating here.  Steroid shots are used to reduce excess scar tissue, which frequently is manifested by a post op lump or a raised areola.  In essence, it deals with excess tissue.

Craters are due to excessive tissue having been removed and they are never treated with kenalog.  Treatment usually requires revision surgery to rebuild the craters, either with fat flaps or fat grafting.

Your photos look pretty good -- I must admit I cannot tell from them if you have substantial craters.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline ladiesman69

• Posting Member
There may be a few misconceptions floating here.  Steroid shots are used to reduce excess scar tissue, which frequently is manifested by a post op lump or a raised areola.  In essence, it deals with excess tissue.

Craters are due to excessive tissue having been removed and they are never treated with kenalog.  Treatment usually requires revision surgery to rebuild the craters, either with fat flaps or fat grafting.

Your photos look pretty good -- I must admit I cannot tell from them if you have substantial craters.

Dr Jacobs

So do you think it looks like too much has been taken out, excess scar tissue forming around the nipple, or a bit of both?

I was planning on seeing this surgeon though I'm a little hesitant.

And considering there is the risk of the surgeon taking too much, isn't having low bodyfat a good way to avoid this? If you don't have any fat on your chest then they can't really take extra out, huh?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024