Author Topic: Do areolas shrink naturally with the surgery?  (Read 5936 times)

Offline nygiants92

• Posting Member
Or is that a whole separate thing you need done?

Offline crossfit99

• Silver Member
My surgeon told me that MOST the time, as soon as the tissue/gland is removed from behind the nipple, it will in deed shrink back down. Basically the gland/tissue behind the nipple pushes it out, which in turn makes it stretch. From all the before/after photos it seems this is true.

Offline masked_1

• Bronze Member
I hope this is true just wonder what the frame is? Mine are still the same size. Please shrink!

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Absolutely yes!  Areolas do shrink naturally.

Best way to understand that is to think of a balloon with a circle drawn on it.  Then allow some of the air to escape.  What happens to the circle??  It shrinks!

Same thing on humans.  The skin is elastic -- that is why we can remove lots of tissue during a gyne operation and only rarely have to deal with resultant loose tissue.  The skin actually tightens by itself right during the operation.  And since areolas are skin as well, they too will shrink.

The natural tendency for areolas to shrink is why I virtually never need to perform an areolar reduction -- Mother Nature does it for me.

Actually, if you look at lots of before and after photos on my website or any other website, you will notice that the areolas shrink in diameter (roughly an average of 15 - 20%) but they also darken somewhat in color.  That is because the same pigment cells are now more crowded together -- hence more intense pigmentation.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline st23

• Posting Member
Ok,so the areola shrinks,but in my case the nipple in the middle of the areloa juts out about 1/8 inch or so. Will this flatten out as well and not be pointy after surgery?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
No, gyne surgery will not affect the actual nipple.  If it projects too far outward for you, then you might consider nipple reduction, which is a separate procedure from routine gyne surgery (although they are frequently combined).

Dr Jacobs

Offline st23

• Posting Member
That is very disappointing. I thought the excess gland pushed the nipple out and once it was excised then the nipple would be reduced-at least a little. You are saying that is not the case. So I will have a flat chest with pointy nipples? Thanks for your timely responses,your help is greatly appreciated!

Offline Cant_Believe_It

• Posting Member
You can have your areolas trimmed and grafted on... i did

Offline HellandBack

• Bronze Member
st dont be discouraged maybe so the doctors can see post a pic to better help

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024