Author Topic: How bad is the pain???  (Read 3582 times)

Offline Copespo

• Gold Member
As surgery date gets closer and closer, I keep gettin more nervous about the surgery. In two days I will be officially one month away from surgery. I can't wait but at the same time I keep thinking about the pain that will follow....how bad is it?
Lose 10 (kg) by August... Achieved
Lose 5 (kg) by Mid-September.....Achieved
Gain 20 (lb) in Muscle by December.......Achieved, Gained 24lb in Muscle
Gynecomastia Consultation October 17, 08......Complete

Surgery Completed January 8th, 2009 with Dr. Elliot Jacobs in NYC!

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Pain after surgery is very personal -- some men hardly have any and others have lots of pain.  It all has to do with one's "pain threshold."  That being said, the vast majority of my patients tend to have "soreness" for about 48 hrs.  They describe it as muscle soreness, as though one had done 200 straight pushups -- or as if they had been tattooed by Muhammed Ali (in his prime).

I would not become overly concerned or afraid about post-op pain -- most doctors will prescribe adequate pain medication for you.  And you may be pleasantly surprised at how minimal pain you actually do have after surgery.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline noobs101

• Posting Member
I didn't feel any pain at all...the most annoying part was sleeping and the compression vest thats all... I didn't have to take any medication.
Dr. Craig Fielding    416.766.8890    Toronto
1st consultation: Sept 15th 2008
2nd consultation: Oct 17th 2008
Surgery date: October 29th 2008
Cost for freedom $2100.

Special thanks to : Grandpa Bambu

Offline iki4life

• Posting Member
im 4 days post-op and having my fair share of pain.
the compression vest will cause uneasiness and itching. you will be unable to freely move your arms for a while. the worst will be sleeping, since you can only sleep on your back, and the back and neck area gets sore very quick.
drink lots of fluid and take multivitamins+pain killers to for fast relief and ease of pain.

DrBermant

As surgery date gets closer and closer, I keep gettin more nervous about the surgery. In two days I will be officially one month away from surgery. I can't wait but at the same time I keep thinking about the pain that will follow....how bad is it?

Pain after surgery depends on the problem to be treated, what was done, surgical techniques, skill of the surgeon,  comfort zones, After Gynecomastia Compression Garments, and many other factors.  Each doctor has his / her own methods and you should check out their patients' description when possible.  This forum has some experiences that may reflect what any particular surgeon tends to achieve. 

I prefer techniques that help healing after gynecomastia surgery.  This means minimizing Bruising, Swelling after gynecomastia surgery.  These are typical results, I work very hard and enjoy when my patients tell me that their results were just like or better than what they saw on my website.

Although I prescribe a strong pain medication for each of my patients, they usually tell me that plain Tylenol alone is more than enough to manage comfort and pain after gynecomastia surgery. They tell me it feels like they just had a heavy workout and their chest is sore.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Surgery

Offline MSJ108

I was sore but it wasn't that bad for me.

Offline cecly

• Silver Member
the compression vest will cause uneasiness and itching.

Try washing it with fragrance free/sensitive skin washing powder.

Offline flex1appeal

I felt as doctor Jacob's described it after a killer workout. I never really would call it pain but more of a soreness for me. Then again, I have a high threshold for pain. I was prescribed pain killers but never used them personally. It was a little uncomfortable sleeping any other way than on my back for the 1st 2 weeks I recall and uncomfortable to raise my hands over my head. But other than that I felt fine. Even was driving the next day no problem! Good luck to you!

flex

Offline jls187

• Posting Member
Good question. This is different for everybody. I had NO pain. At all. After surgery your chest feels numb for a number of weeks because the tissue is reconnecting. Since I was quite numb I took no painkillers. I have vicodin but never took it. Some people do want to take painkillers though.

I'm 1 month post op now and am slowly getting some feeling back. The most uncomfortable part of the whole thing for me was the drainage tubes and compression vest. I'm still wearing the vest 24/7. I'll probably wear it full time for 5 weeks then just wear it during the day.

So overall, no pain for me. Just discomfort. After the tubes were removed after the first week it got much easier.  WORTH IT.

Offline strato

• Posting Member
I am 1 week post op. first 1-2 days I had soreness but no big deal. until today I could not move my arms so well but now I am ok on that too.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024