Author Topic: FAO Guitarists who've had surgery  (Read 4897 times)

Offline 76ertia

• Posting Member
I really want to go ahead and book surgery but I'm kind of worried about the length of the recovery period. How long can I expect it to take until I'll be able to play guitar after surgery, standing up and using a guitar strap? As I play in a band and regularly have gigs and practices I'd have to time the surgery quite well and preferably wouldn't be out of action for much more than 2 weeks... is this unrealistic?

Thank you!

Offline mmaman

• Silver Member
You could play the guitar when you get home from surgery. IMO

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Well, we all heal at different rates but... yeah, you 'should' be good to go at the 2 week mark.

Don't get me wrong here. Your body will require more than 2 weeks (at least 3 months) to completely heal. However, as I mentioned, you should be able to stroke the strings at 2 weeks in...  ;)

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline mmaman

• Silver Member
GB is right.  We all heal differently.  After revision surgery i smoked a dub and took a nap. Then I drove 8 hours to my job. I am a wildland firefighter, had the surgery on my two days r&r, and i went back to work.  Pretty light duty but still NO problems.  Then again, I am far from sane. I swelled up like you wouldn't believe. Like two golf balls.  The only thing i worried about was the stitched skin ripping.  I was playing a pick up game of ball at two weeks and had a breakaway.  I couldn't not pack it and that hurt really bad.  I thought that i had ripped the stitches but luckily not.   

Interesting note:  I was swollen terribly until about a week later when I worked out my chest.  Once i got a good pump it flushed out the stagnant hematoma, never to come back... or so believe.   ??? ??????????????????????

Hope this is encouraging.

Peace

Offline turningacorner

• Silver Member
i had band prac the day after surgery

still wearing tight dressing

did'nt bring my guitar just sang

'i want to hear how well you guys r playing'

playing the guitar hurt.

Offline Hypo-is-here

This thread title would be a great Band name  ;D

Offline Grandpa Bambu

What does 'FAO' mean?

GB

Offline 76ertia

• Posting Member

Offline Grandpa Bambu

Offline enthusiastic

• Posting Member
I just had surgery on Tuesday.

It's Friday now.   

The surgery was big and I had lots of loose skin removed and the nipples moved.   The day of surgery I was woozy and tired from the general anesthesia.   The second day I was sore and took pain meds.   The third day I was starting to decrease my pain meds.   Today is the 4th day and I'm off the pain meds and taking aleve.    Feeling pretty good.

I play banjo (just learning) and I've been able to play today carefully.   Pain meds make playing "clean" a difficult thing.    Aleve is nothing, but vicodin makes playing too confusing.

You should be able to play within a week or so.    After a week you will feel pretty good.

Offline turningacorner

• Silver Member
you can't compare banjo and guitar

learn guitar man

banjo?!

no....

ur goin nowhere!

Offline outshined

• Bronze Member
yeah i play guitar and drums... i'll be taking about a week break i imagine post op

Offline enthusiastic

• Posting Member
you can't compare banjo and guitar

learn guitar man

banjo?!

no....

ur goin nowhere!

Already play guitar.

Banjo is just for entertainment, as are all of my musical instruments.    Education takes you places, guitars do not. 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024