Author Topic: Is there really nothing that can be done to remove scars?  (Read 2735 times)

Offline Xavier

• Bronze Member
I have 2 inch vertical scars below my nipple after surgery. The scars are fading a little but they are still obvious. I have sent a message to some of the doctors on here and they have seen the scars.

My question is, is there really nothing that can be done to cover the scar tissue besides a tattoo?

Offline joltera

• Bronze Member
I have found that lemon juice, coca butter, vitamin e oil, and massage seem to help. Is your issue scar elevation or pigmentation? I've also looked into certain topical medicines that increase the turnover rate of your skin cells. These medicines are very expensive and are traditionally used for acne, adapalene is an example, but in theory one would believe the faster reproduction of cells would speed up the fading process. Another thing you could do is eat well or take supplements that support the health of your skin. Your overall health and proper intake of vitamins and minerals will always effect your bodies ability to heal. I would stay away from over the counter scar gels and make sure you wear UV protection when you're exposed to the sun. Hope this helps.
f*ck gyne

Offline Alchemist

• Gold Member
I have 2 inch vertical scars below my nipple after surgery. The scars are fading a little but they are still obvious. I have sent a message to some of the doctors on here and they have seen the scars.

My question is, is there really nothing that can be done to cover the scar tissue besides a tattoo?

I go to nudist clubs and see all sorts of scars.  While they fade a bit, a persons complete history is visible in the scars 20, 30, 40, 50 years after whatever caused them.  Every body that has breast surgery has scars somewhere, no matter how the surgeons try to hide them.  The more skin that has to be removed, the more scarring.  The area under my gall bladder scar is still numb nearly 20 years later.  The scar is 3+ inches long and has a numb area 4+ inches deep and 4+ inches wide underneath that is numb or very reduced sensation.  Lots of hair will generally make the scars less obvious unless the hairs got sewn in so that they are permanently ingrown,  and that is a pain.  If a man shaves the chest and stomach all the scars are forever visible.  When people are asked why they are afraid of going to a nudist club, scars often come up in the top three fears. 

hammer

Zavier, I'm not sure of your age, but if those are your only scars you can be thankful, or imbarrased if you were going to compare battle scars!

You need to ask yourself, what is worse, the scars or the boobs you had removed? If the boobs were worse, accept the scars, if the scars are worse, than accept your mistake.

Bob

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Xavier  Give it one year for the scars to fade.  If you go out in the sun for the next year, be sure to apply sunblock to the scars.

Vertical scars tend to heal well and fade in time -- be patient. 

BTW, was this an experienced gyne surgeon who did your surgery??

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Xavier

• Bronze Member
Xavier  Give it one year for the scars to fade.  If you go out in the sun for the next year, be sure to apply sunblock to the scars.

Vertical scars tend to heal well and fade in time -- be patient. 

BTW, was this an experienced gyne surgeon who did your surgery??

Dr Jacobs

Hello doc,

Actually I have been tanning for a few days now in the hope that the scar will fade a bit. I'm naturally tanned so maybe the rest of my skin can adapt to the darker color of the scar?

The surgeon was experienced in gynecomastia surgeries. Although he never did an extreme case like mine and it seems he did a classic breast reduction also done on females.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
If you expose a fresh scar to sunlight, it will remain red for a longer period of time.  Would suggest strong sunblock on the scars. 

If you wish to tan in areas surrounding the scar, that is your decision, although I would suggest you check that out with your surgeon.

Give it lots of time -- the scars should fade in time.

Dr Jacobs

Offline moobius

• Gold Member

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024