Author Topic: Quote from the late actress Jill Clayburgh  (Read 3477 times)

Offline Rich meier

• Gold Member
It's funny. My chest has hardly changed in the last two years. However, it's not only accepted, it's expected that I wear a bra. Two years ago, I could go top less (which I didn't) and nobody could do anything about it, now because I have long hair and wear makeup, I can be arrested??

I'm not complaining, our society it full of double standards.
Sometime in the mid 1990s I read an Ann Landers quip where she stated, "as a matter of fact the city of New York has a very old statute that allows women, (females), to be topless and unfettered by any decency laws." Interestingly the bathing costume, (swim suit), of the day, even for men, was, (a full coverage), outfit not unlike a leotard with three quarter arms and three quarter legs. *In a culture well known for it's use of double standards this begs the questions Who? How? and Why? was this statute written. AND she stated, (the statute is still viable.)                                Graham
yes it is still to this day. it is also legal to be topless on a federal beach

gmast

"Why is it OK for men to go topless when some of them have bigger boobs than many women?"
Because society used to have respect for women.  But now that many women want to be treated as equals, so it doesn't make sense to some to give them honor.

Offline Evolver

• Gold Member
^ Back in the day, it was probably extremely rare for a man to have bigger breasts than any woman. Now, it seems like half the male population would make Homer Simpson look ripped by comparison! 

"But now that many women want to be treated as equals" is a bit mysogynistic, don't you think? Why SHOULDN'T they be treated equally? 

Dudewithboobs

The reason is generally and this is still true in my experience, in person experience. Women have breasts, they are sexual characteristics by science not by men who like them. They are female and feminine and considered sexual. Where as a man who has c d cups and beyond are often morbidly obese. “Half the male population would make Homer Simpson look ripped by comparison” exactly. The American population is quite honestly fat and lazy. And is quite honestly why men can do it and women “can’t”, cause even if a woman is overweight she had breasts before that where most men got their breasts from donuts and cereal not estrogen imbalance lol. Nature vs lazy. 
On men It is not sexual it is not a characteristic of such a man with quite large breasts usually is indicative of being insanely unhealthy. 
That’s why women can’t go topless, same reason neither of us can go bottomless. I disagree with why they can’t but this is america not Europe. But I’m certain it’s a western thing cause of course Europe is infamous for normalized nude beaches. 
Of course there are guys here and everywhere who are like me 5’11 186lbs with almost c cup breasts. But we in me and us are a very rare breed. We aren’t going to our super markets and kids soccer games and seeing other men and dads with boobs on an otherwise healthy body and wearing bras. As much as I hope to see Matt at the deli with a pair of c cups and a bra hanging with his kid gettting steaks for the grill later I don’t see that ever happening in my life. Until something is normalized it will always remain in the norms of the society that said this and that. 
So yeah some men have bigger boobs than women they are generally just about 200 pounds heavier that caused it. Def not the case here for all but certainly the mainstream case. 

Confused old man

Actually women can go topless in a lot of cities and states in the u.s. the top free movement and several law suits for equal rights has secured that. Now if they choose to of course is up to them. I’m sure there are those who would harass them to keep them from doing it. There are parades across the country every year that celebrated free the nipple and total nudity....before covid...not sure now. I am also 5-11 185 the same as dude with boobs. Two months ago I went to a indoor water park with the family. I was going to wear a t shirt but it was really hot in there. So I braved it. Yep!...got some looks...no one said anything. But 99% of the people were just having fun. Could care less that I have boobs. I’m sure that some women were thinking to them selves...if he can go topless...why not me? Well in that state and city it is legal for them to go topless...but, at this private water park, it was against the rules...darn it!😂😂😂

Dudewithboobs

Haha nice. Yeah I seen the movements parades etc and just chalked it up to ok for today it works but tomorrow cover up lol. Good to see the tides turning in some areas. Yeah my concern is since last summer I’ve gone from between an a and b cup more a than b to now almost a c cup. With a daughter who is entering swimming lesson age and general vacation I’m like guess we’ll see what happens lol. 
I was buttoning my shirt the other day before work and buttoning the top my hands hit the top of my boobs I was like that’s new and then was like great the top is filling out now lol. 

gmast

"But now that many women want to be treated as equals" is a bit mysogynistic, don't you think? Why SHOULDN'T they be treated equally?
 Because they aren't,  They are different.  If they were the same, there would be not be men wanting to change into being a women.  It is  not mysogynistic to honor and cherish women because we appreciate those differences.

p.r.1974

With the differences between all of us, it is always best to understand and respect those differences. Yes, we are all equal, and should be treated that way as well. However, I refuse to make some broad generalities regarding health, and gender / sexual identities. Just because someone is overweight does not mean they are lazy, as a whole host of variables exist that show otherwise. And just because joe ass hat can't see someone's internal struggle with identity doesn't make it less valid. Yes, we all make assessments that may turn to judgements if one sticks their foot in their mouth. Way too much experience in my life to not expect these occurrences. My apologies if that was not the intent.

Offline Evolver

• Gold Member
"But now that many women want to be treated as equals" is a bit mysogynistic, don't you think? Why SHOULDN'T they be treated equally?
It is  not mysogynistic to honor and cherish women because we appreciate those differences.
Okay, that part I can agree with.

I think we have a different interpretation of the word equal. I pose the question, if you deem that women are not equal to men, do you see them as inferior or superior? And don't say 'different'!

gmast

It is  not mysogynistic to honor and cherish women because we appreciate those differences.
Okay, that part I can agree with.

I think we have a different interpretation of the word equal. I pose the question, if you deem that women are not equal to men, do you see them as inferior or superior? And don't say 'different'!
If you want to have a discussion, we can.  If you want to be rude you can find some other sap to troll.

Offline Evolver

• Gold Member
Come on man, settle down.

I just asked you a question, the answer of which would demonstrate that we do indeed have a difference of opinion on what the meaning of 'equal' is. And that's fine, we are allowed to differ in our opinions and interpretations. But, we should also acknowledge that differences of opinions and interpretations actually exist. It reminds us that our own beliefs aren't exclusive, or necessarily correct.

For the record I have no problem going forward, despite your deliberate slur against me regarding trolling.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 08:37:17 AM by Aussie63 »

Offline MarcoB

• Silver Member
Because they aren't,  They are different.  If they were the same, there would be not be men wanting to change into being a women.  It is  not mysogynistic to honor and cherish women because we appreciate those differences.

Someone said to me that women just want to be treated as human beings.  But no; the truth is that bad things happen if I don't treat my wife specifically as a woman.

gmast

I just asked you a question, the answer of which would demonstrate that we do indeed have a difference of opinion on what the meaning of 'equal' is. And that's fine, we are allowed to differ in our opinions and interpretations. But, we should also acknowledge that differences of opinions and interpretations actually exist. It reminds us that our own beliefs aren't exclusive, or necessarily correct.

For the record I have no problem going forward, despite your deliberate slur against me regarding trolling.
When you pose a question and tell me how I can answer it, it comes across to me that you don't want a conversation.  Are Peterbilts superior to Cadillacs.  Its not a yes or no question.  It depends on what you want to do.  Are Women superior to men?  It is not a yes or no question. It depends.  When I say the aren't equal, it means they are different, (but you don't want me to say that, even though you know it's true).  Basically, women are feminine, and men are masculin.  In my view things that are equal can generally substitute for each other. Sometimes they can, but most of the time one is preferable to the other.

Offline Moobzie

• Silver Member
ok, guys - my two cents:
'Equal' can mean 'same' or 'identical'.
It can also refer to 'standing in law' or 'rights', which is a different meaning.

It's obvious men and women are not the 'same'.
It is also be obvious that they should have the 'same rights' in law.

Seems like one of the participants is 
'splitting hairs' and the other is:
'splitting hares'.

Until you see those phrases written you don't get the intended meaning ....

Offline Evolver

• Gold Member

When you pose a question and tell me how I can answer it, it comes across to me that you don't want a conversation.  Are Peterbilts superior to Cadillacs.  Its not a yes or no question.  It depends on what you want to do.  Are Women superior to men?  It is not a yes or no question. It depends.  When I say the aren't equal, it means they are different, (but you don't want me to say that, even though you know it's true).  Basically, women are feminine, and men are masculin.  In my view things that are equal can generally substitute for each other. Sometimes they can, but most of the time one is preferable to the other.
Mate, take a breath! 

I dislike getting bogged down in this as much as you, and I apologize to Johndoe1 for the tangent we're now on... but..."When I say the(y) aren't equal, it means they are different" is YOUR interpretation. Do you apply the same interpretation to race, religion, sexuality etc.?

When women fight for equality, what does that mean to you? A desire to undergo a sex change operation? 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024