Author Topic: Question about Ultrasonic Lipo  (Read 2398 times)

Offline cduub

• Silver Member
I went for a consultation with a gyno surgeon I researched today. When he checked me out he said I would need incision with ultrasonic Lipo. The question I have is whats the difference with this one fron regular lipo? Have any of you guys used this method? And do you recommend this method with your experience? Also he's charging me 5k for the procedure including hospital fee,do you think thats a reasonable price? I would really appreciate your answers thanks!!

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Ultrasonic lipo works well on fat but does nothing for gland.  Most gyne has a combination of both fat and gland.  There are a number of posts on this forum wherein the patient expresses dissatisfaction with the results of ultrasonic lipo alone.

If your surgeon intends to do only ultrasonic lipo without any consideration of excision, i would suggest another opinion.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline cduub

• Silver Member
He is doing incision also,im just curious Dr. Jacobs about the difference between the two lipo's because ive never heard of this one,and is there any type of advantages between this one and the traditional one from your experience.

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
There is minimal difference between the two techniques.  Traditional lipo uses muscle power of the surgeon to break up fat and then suction to remove the loose fat particles while ultrasonic lipo is essentially a two stage technique:  the first part is to use ultrasonic energy to liquify the fat and the second stage is to suction the liquified fat out of the body.  Some people claim it is less bloody, but I have not seen any major differences.  The one problem with ultrasonic is that, in the wrong hands, it can come close to the under surface of the skin and create a burn.  That is impossible with traditional lipo.

To put it into perspective, most plastic surgeons in the US have given up on ultrasonic lipo and sold their equipment -- 'nuf said.

Dr Jacobs
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 08:13:50 AM by Dr. Elliot Jacobs »

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Dr. Jacobs has it spot on regarding conventional versus ultrasonic assisted liposuction.  I have used it in the past, but I don't use it any more.  If it's the technique that your surgeon uses regularly, it's appropriate for him to do it that way.  The attraction of the technique is probably more in the marketing than in the execution. As per Dr. Jacobs, the combination of liposuction and excision needs to be an option, and it sounds like that's the case.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline cduub

• Silver Member
If I were interested in a consultation with one of you guys,how do you go about it if a person stays out of state? I live in Florida and would be willing to travel for the actual surgery,but a consultation is pretty steep for my pockets to fly just to fly back to come back again. How does this work? I think a few members on here would probably like to know also because you guys just seem like the most experienced with this procedure.

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I treat many patients from across the US and around the world -- and many cannot make two trips (one for consult and one for surgery).  I therefore arrange to do an online consultation so that only one trip -- for surgery itself -- is needed.

In order to get this started, would recommend you send me your real name and email address (and please mention gynecomastia.org and your online name on gyne.org) to my email address below.  In turn, I will provide you with some general information as well as a request for specific personal info and photos from you. I will then evaluate your information and get back to you with a specific operative plan. 

And then it is up to you.

Dr Jacobs

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I work the same way as Dr. Jacobs.  After you send some personal information, history and photos, we can "meet" on the phone or using Skype if that's preferable.  That can be helpful if you have something unusual to show that's not obvious in photographs.  Arrangements for the surgery can be coordinated thereafter.

RS

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
I typically perform liposuction with surgical excision in virtually all my patients. There are a number of liposuction techniques.I personally do like UAL ( Ultrasonic Assisted Liposuction) but I have found it needs to be combined with surgical excision of the glandular components.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024