Author Topic: Surgery complete - Harley Medical Group and Dr. Solomos (now with pics)  (Read 4261 times)

Offline Tonytony

• Posting Member
So, my surgery is booked for the 1st of March and will cost just over £6,000. I couldn’t afford the surgery on my own, but reached out to my parents (which was a little embarrassing considering why I wanted breast reduction as a male) but they have been great, so are paying half of the cost, with me paying for the other half.

The reason it costs so much is that I am having it done in central London for the sake of convenience, and also because there will need to be skin removal as the elasticity of the skin is gone and simple lipo/gland removal will leave sad flappy pockets.

The approach my surgeon is taking is to take something like a ‘donut mastoplexy’ which removes a ring of skin around the areola, pulling the rest forward and keeping it in place with permanent gore-tex sutures. The idea of permanent sutures is a little daunting, alternative is to go for the normal method, which will leave a lot more scarring.

Anyway, hopefully this will help me deal with my low confidence and body issues. I still have wobbly flab loose skin around my belly after the large weight loss, which I am going to have to address in the future, but having this done first has been my main priority.

I am most nervous about the success of the surgery itself - I can't push thoughts out of my mind that he might mess up the delicate surgery or i'm unhappy with the result, but I suppose these are natural.

Are there any tips for the day of the surgery and the recovery? Im going to get some tins of pineapple and take a large button up shirt on the day, but that's about it?

Of course I will post my experience and recovery as I go along for anyone else who wants more idea of what to expect :).

Here are some current pics of my chest:

« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 03:17:25 PM by Tonytony »

Offline McGilli

• Silver Member
My only recommendation is - that in the days following the surgery - if you look at your chest - do not get discouraged. It might look swollen, or misshapen etc. I see most people, myself included get all worked up about it not being perfect within days.

Resign to the fact you need to wait a few months to get the look you want.

Also - you didn't mention taking a compression vest. Do you need to?

Just asking. I had to be fitted by a third party, and take mine with me to my surgery.

Good luck.

Offline sjwsjw

• Gold Member
Good luck mate.

Don't worry about things too much mate out. We put ourselves through this op because it effects our life that much. As long as you are happy with your reasons and your surgeon what more can you do to give yourself every chance of the best result you can achieve. Don't worry about the first few months this takes time. I'm still changing physically and mentally at 3 months but I'm happy I did it and even I can see how much taller I walk.

Offline sjwsjw

• Gold Member
As for what you need to take you can travel as light as you wish tbh. I only took a button up shirt and jacket. You could take some entertainment but no need for much else from my experience.

Is your procedure a day thing or do you stay over night?

Offline sjwsjw

• Gold Member
Oh.. Ok this site glitched my first post but you get the idea

Offline Tonytony

• Posting Member
Hi guys, thanks for your kind words. I am mostly excited, only a little bit nervous.

To answer your questions:

- I will be supplied a compression vest there and will be wearing it for four weeks,
- Staying overnight until they kick me out the next morning.
- Probably going to take my phone and mp3 player to keep me entertained. I was considering my ipad, but that's probably not necessary as I will hopefully be- passed out for most of the time. I suppose I will wear the clothes I intend to leave with - jogging bottoms and a button-up shirt so I can get dressed easily.

Also McGilli, I have resolved to not look at my chest properly for a good few days as I know it will be bruised and battered to hell and back and accept the fact that its a long-term healing process.

I am going to hit Tesco tonight and get lots of bottled water and snacks for my room at home and several tins of pineapple as my surgeon said that helps with swelling. Probably some wet wipes too to replace showers for the first few days!

Offline improving

• Silver Member
I'll be following your progress, would be good to see some pre op pictures. Best of luck mate! Your parents are cool helping you out like that.

Offline Tonytony

• Posting Member
Hi guys, well I made it to the other side and am propped up in my bed watching a shitty Julia Roberts movie, eating steak and chocolate cake! I am dreading having to go to the toilet as I can't really move much at all, and any movement wakes up the pain.

Pain is manageable but definitely present. would probably put it at 6.5. I asked for more dope and the nurse brought me a shot of morphine - not an injection but an actual little glass of it. I had no idea you could just drink it.

Morphine is awesome. I want more because it put me in such a nice haze but it's just pills from here on out it seems.

No regrets so far, but I do wish I had given them a goodbye squeeze - it'll be quite odd for a while i imagine not having them there. My compression vest seems too large and loses, kind of defeating the purpose. Will tell my surgeon tomorrow morning.

Will update my progress over the next few days.

Offline McGilli

• Silver Member
Congrats. Well - you're over that hump now - from here on - the ride is going down. BUT. It'll be bumpy.... but you're on your way!

Offline Tonytony

• Posting Member
Just a little updates- am now at home, in bed and watching tv. Sleep comes in little bursts, as couple of hours at a time. It's going to be a long night. I might take some painkillers to help me reach the drowsy stage.

Pain is not bad, until you move to get out of bed for something,, then your whole abdomen shouts at you to stop moving, but that's to be expected the day after the surgery.

I have no idea how much chest looks and probably won't look until Friday, when I get my bandages removed.

Offline Tonytony

• Posting Member
Well, a little update 9 days in.

- Getting better every day - can now lift arms above head (slowly) and more or less have complete mobility although am a little slow and careful bending down to pick stuff up etc.
- Going to stop sleeping on my back exclusively. Its too uncomfortable and the nurse said after a week, sleeping on the side is ok.
- I hate the compression vest and the thought of 5 more weeks with it sucks. It rides up all the time after I set or bend over and gives me a lumpy appearance.
- Not much pain really, Is still sore and aches but I don't use any painkillers.

See some pics below of the vest, and my chest.

Offline Nips

• Bronze Member
Hi, hope you don't mind me contacting you. I've seen your posts regarding your surgery. How are you now a few months on?

Two days ago I had surgery by Dr Solomos so in the very early stages.

Offline Tonytony

• Posting Member
Hi mate (and everyone else reading the thread).

I've been meaning to update for a while as it has been almost 4 months since my op. I will post a full update of my experience in the months that followed the op with before and after pics.

My surgery was a bit more complicated than most because I had skin removal as well as the boob tissue and fat so the scarring and recovery was a bit more than a normal procedure. For now I will say I am more than happy with the result (in clothing) and while i'm a long way from being comfortable with a shirt off in public, the results are quite amazing considering what was done.

Happy to answer any questions about the OP or recovery until I get my update together. I seem to remember this website making it a little difficult to post pictures...

Offline KSS24

• Bronze Member
Good to hear you are happy with your results so far mate! Would be good to see some pictures of your progress you never actually posted any with your black vest off straight after.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024