Author Topic: do I have gynecomastia??? HELP  (Read 3148 times)

Offline Anthony_James

I need advice/HELP. I have rubbery masses in my nipples.I am a 16 year old male that weighs 125 lbs. and I'm 5'8 in height. I've been insecure about my chest ever since I can remember. I will never take my shirt off bc I'm afraid of people laughing and ridiculing me. I used to get bullied bc of this in middle school when we had to change in lockers. I used to be really fat when I was a kid but I lost all the weight and slimmed down around mid 7th grade. The only thing is my chest never slimmed down. I've asked my doctor (pediatrician) about this but she says I don't have it. 

Offline igotum

• Bronze Member
Hi Anthony,
  Yes you have mild gyne. I assure you  there will not be any teasing on this forum. Rest assured we are all sympathetic. You are not alone. Do a lot of research before having surgery. There are several that are not satisfied after having surgery. If girls are your worry quit worrying. Any girl worth your time will be just A-OK  with your boobs. I have breasts too and wear a bra every day. That does not fix your problem though. Just don't get all wound up about. Pm me if you get to feeling low and I will try to cheer you up. Teenagers can be mean and cruel, just try to get through the crap they try to give you. You have showed me you are already a real man by posting on this forum.

Offline TigerPaws

I agree, no question you have some breast development and just as igotum said no one here will say anything negative. At you age it is generally too early to deal with this issue, your body is still changing.

Please there are a number of men on this site who like you had breast development while the were teens so feel free to ask questions and for support.

rrr

To me, it appears that you have some loose skin from being overweight - it just didn't tighten back up after dropping the weight.
But, as someone else said, your body is still changing (and growing), so you may fill out enough that it won't even show at all. If there really isn;t much tissue, perhaps gaining a bit more muscle would also make it appear less obvious.
In any case, nobody should bat an eye if you were once overweight. Loose skin can appear anywhere on someone dropping significant weight.
I would suggest to wait until you are done physically growing and then look at options.
Best of luck to you,
B

hammer

Young man stand tall and don't let anyone belittle you! You have done a great thing with the loss of your weight and you're a better man for that!

I too had gyno as a teen, and I now need to wear a bra due to large breast, but that does not make me less a man, nor does that excess skin and tissue or fat make you less a man! You're a good man, and we are here for you!

As igotum said, PM me if you need to, I'm here to help too.

Bob

Offline canadian55

• Posting Member
Congrats on your weight loss, you have done a great thing for yourself! 
Your story and images sound very similar to my experience. I too lost weight around your age, and had gynecomastia since puberty. My build was nearly identical to yours. Now at 27, I finally chose to undergo surgery. The decision to undergo surgery is yours and yours only - It took me over 10 years to decide to, for a number of reasons: knowledge (didn't even know it existed), money, time etc. So far I'm happy with my choice. 

But there is something I want you take away from this. Yes - it appears you have mild gynecomastia. But, that doesn't mean you should stop living your life to the fullest. I spent over 15 years with this, and I never let it stop me. During that time I had plenty of girls : ), went to the beach, made friends, and did my best to never let it hold me back. Talk to your parents, it can be tough but it's an important step. 
We all have good days and bad days, but live your life my friend, it's never as bad as you think. 

Offline Anthony_James

How do I word this to my parents? And do you guys know how much surgery costs/recovery time it takes to heal??

Offline canadian55

• Posting Member
You are not alone in finding it difficult expressing this to family. Perhaps an honest discussion where you sit down and explain how this issue is affecting you, using the examples you provided. You could explain that you researched the problem and it has a name: gynecomastia. Parents seem to be more receptive to the emotional toll it can take vs the physical abnormality. Sometimes it takes some time for them to understand, it did for mine. 
Another option that may help is putting your feelings down on paper/email, and giving that to your parents. Many people have found that helpful. 
As for surgery it will depend largely on your geographic location, the complexity of your case, your surgeon etc. A general figure of $3000-$10,000 is often used. Recovery also depends on what is done but generally involves taking a week or so off followed by gradually increasing activity over the next month. Your best bet would be to find a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in gynecomastia and undergo a consult. 
Hope this helps, your not alone. 

Offline Anthony_James

I live 40 miles away from Atlanta. Who should I go to considering I really want surgery so I will never have to deal with this again. I want to have an attractive body and CHEST like all of my young friends . Also might there be any workouts or any other considerations if I somehow can't get surgery??

Offline canadian55

• Posting Member
I can understand how you feel. I would suggest you take your time and do your research. Never rush into a procedure. Start by discussing your concerns with family and those you trust. 
Take your time finding a board certified plastic surgeon with gynecomastia experience in your area, this site has resources for that. You said you want to get it dealt with in one go; so pick the right surgeon. Unfortunatly there are many on this site who did not and have incurred considerable stress and expense.  A consult would be an appropriate first step regardless. 
Unfortunately for true gynecomastia there is no treatment other than surgery. There is no magic pill or exercise regime. You seem to be at a healthy weight, weight loss isn't really a viable option. Strength training and building your upper body muscles evenly can help mask it though, it did for me at least.
In the meantime, live your life and don't let it hold you back. 

Offline TigerPaws

I understand that you feel an immedeate need but you are young, take some time look into working out in order to fill in your chest with muscle.

Don't be in a hurry to have someone cut holes in your body.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
With all due respect to the opinions expressed by fellow members of this forum, I wish to offer an alternative opinion.

Gyne on a young, healthy, active male can be emotionally difficult.  And if you have had it for two years or more, then more than likely you will not out-grow it and you cannot exercise it away either.  The only way to permanently remove it is surgery.

Many parents and even many pediatricians urge a youngster to "wait it out" until they turn the magical age of 18, when everything in your life suddenly and magically is made perfect.  Sorry, nope, it doesn't happen.  You will have spent many more years waiting in vain for something that simply will not happen.

I have operated on hundreds of young men like you and to date, absolutely none have had a recurrence and virtually 100% have stated that their lives have dramatically changed for the better.

I would therefore recommend that you speak seriously with your parents and then visit a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who has demonstrated interest and expertise in gynecomastia surgery.  The opinion of the surgeon will be invaluable to you.

Best of luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline canadian55

• Posting Member
Well said Dr. Jacobs 

hammer

As a father and grandfather, I would recommend that you bring it up to your parents being prepared with the computer, so that you can have then do their research about the growing problem with gynecomatia in young men, and how it is affecting them!

This way they can read about it on medical sites and see for themselves that it can't be treated in the gym, or any other way!

Just my thoughts

Bob

Offline VICTOR_G

• Posting Member
I feel that the sooner the better. Take it from me, I have had to deal with this for 10 plus years and wish i would have talked to my parents sooner. I have a scheduled surgery for March 21! Cannot wait.
YouTube.com  (Victor Garcia Gynecomastia)

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024