Author Topic: Need copy of medical history for consultation?  (Read 2334 times)

Offline i_dont_know

• Silver Member
I have my consultation scheduled for tomorrow and was just wondering for anyone who is knowledgeable on the subject whether it is necessary to have a copy of my medical history with me when I go? When I scheduled the consultation I was not told anything regarding that and when I received the confirmation call yesterday I wasn't, either. I would have assumed that if I had to bring it, I would have been told but I just want to make sure that if I don't have it, it won't be a big deal.

Any of the docs or anyone who's been through a consultation already that could give me a quick heads up, I'd really appreciate it. Also, if I DO need it, is it even possible to obtain it within a day? I've never had to do that before so I'm not really sure.

Thanks.

Offline dondante

• Gold Member
Your medical history isn't required for the initial consultation, but might be required once you book a surgery. My plastic surgeon gave me a medical history questionnaire for my family doctor to fill out. Depending on how you doctor keeps his medical records, it could take as quickly as a day or as long as a month to get them.

Offline Noseguard

• Silver Member
  • You t*t, what's he gonna do nibble your bum?
He's right.

Depending on your age, the medical history and pre-op testing can vary. I was 40 and required to get an EKG and blood work done.

No need to bring anything to the consultation, just your check book.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Most doctors will request a complete written medical history when you first come to their office.  Many young men with gynecomastia have relatively brief medical histories -- and you can probably write it from memory.

If you have any extensive medical or surgical history, then you should bring copies of your old medical records with you -- particularly if you have had surgery for gynecomastia, then bring the surgeon's operative report.  It will be very helpful to your new doctor.  Any of your former doctors will provide you with copies of their medical records at nominal charge -- but you will have to provide them with a written request -- not a telephone call.  This may take a few days or longer.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline mizuno

• Gold Member
Dr. Jacobs do you require a copy of medical history ?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I do require a medical history for my medical records -- usually it is filled out in my office just prior to the initial consultation.  If someone has a lengthy or complicated medical history (ie prior gyne or other surgery), then a copy of the operative report, if brought for the initial consult, will help make things smoother and clearer. Oftentimes, if prior gyne surgery has been done, I can make more appropriate suggestions for treatment (or on occasion refuse treatment) based on what has previously been done as described in the report.

Whenever I consult with patients from around the world by email, I always request background medical info as well.

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024