Author Topic: Parents/Family/Friends....  (Read 39117 times)

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Very nice post Grandpa Bambu wish my parents can read english and understand what im going thru.Im thinking about tellin them soon but i cant really speak my language very well and they cant understand english so im just hopin they dont think bah its nothing its a waste of money to get surgery because if they say that then i dont even know what im going to do.

You must know someone who knows both languages fluently. Get them to be an interpreter.

There's always a way dude! ;)

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Jan

• Posting Member
Very Nice Topic!!! ;D

My parents were never that open minded about it...

Lucky are those sons who have open minded parents...

So if I were you, open it up to your parents..

Its either you win their support or not....

jUST do it :)

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
This is a brilliant post GB, I wish I had said that!

Truly it needs to be brought to the top of the pile every once in a while.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Grandpa Bambu

Thanks Dan...  ;)

GB

Offline jigupse

• Posting Member
thx...it worked :)

That's great! What was your parents reaction?

So... now that it's in the open and you are no longer suffering in silence, something can be done about it.

How old are you jigupse?

GB

You know, I am forever indebted to you! That post of yours might just have changed my life...as I just had my surgery 3 weeks ago. Even though I am financially fairly sucessful and independant now, having my dad read this was really an ice breaker and helped me a lot emotioanlly.

If only the stupid doc had not suggested to do chest-exercises to get read of gyne then (in 2007), I would have gotten my surgery a lot more sooner..as both me and my dad trusted the doc to death!

And oh I am 23 now...was 20 at that time ;)

Offline Grandpa Bambu

jigupse...

That's awesome dude!  ;)   Welcome to the 'Other Side"...

Glad to hear that you've finally had surgery...  Now you can get on with your life!

GB...

Offline mak23

• Bronze Member
Amazing post Grandpa, God bless you in Jesus' name! I'm a 30 year old sufferer in India and my parents just don't take this seriously. Infact, my mother once told me that no girl would marry me if I underwent gynecomastia surgery, they would think that something is wrong with me and reject me. This post of yours gives me confidence. Hope I can live the rest of my life without the ill feeling I've felt so far. Thanks again for posting this :)

Btw, I had visited a plastic surgeon and he told me that he will have to use lipo to get rid of the fat. I'm a bit overweight, so I also asked him if he could get rid of the love handles and the beer belly...he said that he can do it all in about 85000 rupees (85000/ 50 US dollars). I want to do this because having the love handles and a ponch with a flat chest may not look so good.

And yes, hope I get to see the 'other side'

Offline avku

• Posting Member
hi.ppl.good to c some success stories.feeling that u r not alone in the world and some have got rid of it is good.

waiting for suggestions.even i want to go for surgery.
@mak

did u go for a surgery..?

Offline fortheloveofmyson

• Posting Member
This site is heaven sent. Reading these forums made me cry. I’m so glad I’m not alone. I’m a single mom with two wonderful boys, and I have watched my oldest son suffer with gynecomastia.  My son is sixteen and will be finely having his surgery in three weeks. We are so excited!!!! I have literally spent every penny I have to get this procedure done for my son. Funny thing is that the people in our lives that I thought would be supportive are not and the ones I thought wouldn’t be are. I know this surgery is going put a huge impact on me financially, but nothing will compares to the even bigger impact it’s going to have on my son’s life. This means everything to him and he deserves to feel as good on the outside as he is on the inside. Thank you all for sharing your hearts on this forum.  :)

Offline Grandpa Bambu

FTLOMS...

Let us know how your son makes out with his surgery...

GB...

Offline fortheloveofmyson

• Posting Member
I will, thank you!

Offline Momreg

New to this forum.  My 19 year old son has a significant case of gynecomastia. 
His surgery is scheduled in 2 1/2 weeks.  I'm really glad for him, but especially as I read stories I feel so bad for not helping him sooner. 
We did agree at age 18 but some other circumstances did not allow a procedure.
I know he has suffered so much since age 10/11.  His family dr. Said it resolve, but didn't.  He works out and is by no means fat. 
His dad and I thought we should give it until he reached 18 years before surgery.  I really regret not helping him get surgery earlier.  I feel sick when I think of all the teasing he has endured, wearing rash guard shirts to the pool, compression shirts, trying to hide when changing in locker room.  Even in his Freshman year of college I know of at least one jerk who said something to him.
I know it greatly hurt his teen years and by waiting I feel responsible for taking that from him.
I hope his surgery is successful and most of all his self-esteem can be regained.   Of course, surgery on your child is scary but I am more concerned if he will be happy or if too much damage has been done.
It took quite a while for me to convince husband/dad that it is a BIG deal.  He finally got it and he worked a bunch of extra days to save for surgery. ($5k).  Proud of him.

Other parents- did you feel a lot of guilt letting it go on so long? 

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Hi Mom, Thanks for caring enough to bring this excellent post back to the top of the pile.

The Author of this thread does not often check in but when he does, he is sure to see your comment.

And, Thanks for doing what you have for your son. We do not often hear from parents, I wish it was otherwise.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024