Author Topic: How Common Are Revisions?  (Read 2653 times)

Offline Jim Smith

Assuming the initial Gyno surgery is done by a normal plastic surgeon with adequate experience in Gynecomastia, roughly how likely is it that revision will be necessary? I understand that most people only post in these types of forums when they have problems but it seems as if this type of surgery often requries revision. Also will most surgeons charge for a revision if they were the one to do the original surgery?

Offline DannyH

• Posting Member
I personally would guess revisions are frequent and unsuccessful, because of the dreaded crater scar defect. The lost fat tissue causes the skin above it to adhere to the flesh below it. I think a person is very lucky if they avoid this natural effect. Additionally, with time the skin sags slightly. The result is a chewed up concave looking area in the place of where there was once smooth flesh. Also an avalanche of confusing & conflicting nervous sensations in perhaps the most frontal, exposed part of the body, apart from the face. These sensations are with you almost constantly. That's crater scar for ya!

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
There are no stats available about gyne revision rates -- period.  What you should reasonably know is that if someone does an operation only a few times a year, he will not be as good as someone who does hundreds a year.  And since the best chance for success in gyne surgery is the initial (and hopefuly only) operation, it would behoove you to search for an expert in gyne surgery in your area.

All too often, guys decide to have surgery and look for the cheapest or most convenient surgeon.  It may not be a wise decision in the long run.

Dr Jacobs

PS  My revision rate is virtually 0%
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024