Author Topic: Talking therapies/counselling  (Read 2712 times)

Offline shiftend

• Posting Member
Hi, im interested in whether anyone on here has ever had, or has considered having any kind of talking therpapy for their gyne? So many people, including myself talk about the large social and emotional impact that gyne has on their lives, and for many people, they are never able to fully share this with anyone, which is harmful in itself in my opinion.

I know this forum serves as a way for people to express and discuss their gyne, and the impact its had, but has anyone ever gone beyond this, and had some kind of talking therapy? If you have, what was your experience of it?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Good idea.  The only problem is finding an expert to talk to.  Most therapists have no inkling about gyne and its emotional ramifications -- so how they they provide guidance and emotional support?

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline xelnaga13

I could not agree more. During my adolescence I had access to a top notch psychologist (300perhour!) in order to get assistance in a plethora of my issues. The sessions were incredibly helpful in almost every area other than my issues with gyne.

After 2 years of treatment I read my diagnosis and treatment report. He ( the doc.) mentioned my gyne in one of the paragraph, referring to it as fatty deposits. He felt that this was an irrational concern of mine, and that my parents didn't do me any favors indulging me and paying for eventual surgery.

I dont think he fully understood how loaded the issue of gyne is. Its more than just being concerned about a nose, or stomach fat.. because it has a sexual/gender component.

Offline shiftend

• Posting Member
Yes I have never really researched the availability of thalking therparies for supporting people who have, or have had gynecomastia. That's a great shame if there is a lack of provision. We all know there is a need, and from a business point of view, possibly a market?

Offline xelnaga13

Yes I have never really researched the availability of thalking therparies for supporting people who have, or have had gynecomastia. That's a great shame if there is a lack of provision. We all know there is a need, and from a business point of view, possibly a market?

They have psychologists that specialize in different fields of mental health. However,  I highly doubt any practice would limit themselves to just dealing with gyne sufferers.

Offline xelnaga13

I also think talk therapy/medication is an option for those that are truly obsessed with their condition.

I had gyne surgery twice; once at 14 and again at 27. In that period of time no more than 3 hours has gone by with out thinking about gyne or having the urge to examine my chest for further growth. The fact that my paranoia was confirmed after my gyne fully grew back made my obsession worse.

Im prone to obsession in general. I consider it an eccentricity rather than a mental defect. As a child I would consume one single source of food for months at a time. I also had a constant rotation of strange object obsessions like picking buds from plants.

Offline greatlakes

• Silver Member
Without going into off topic explanations and a long story, I ended up with a female psychologist therapist for issues other than gyne 4 years ago. Eventually I became comfortable enough with her, and decided to discuss my Gynecomastia and related health issues behind it - this talking therapy went through my surgery last march and continues now. Never in my life would I have felt comfortable talking to a female about something like this - but strangely she was amazingly supportive, even more so than my wife. I have benefited enormously, i think perhaps the her being a supportive listening female has been very "releasing" for me on this male issue and related health issues I have.

However, this board, the doctors, and my fellow brothers who are dealing with this - has been a true blessing as wel. I am old enough to remember no internet, and this kind of support group would have been impossible to find.

So yes counseling is highly recommended. My therapist runs about 130/Hr, but I have some partial insurance coverage for it.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024