Author Topic: weight loss before and after surgery?  (Read 4441 times)

Offline mcpuffles

Hi all,

Over the last year I've kind of fluctuated between weights. I started running and working out quite a bit during the summer and went from 225lbs down to 185lbs. Then when winter came, i stopped running (i really enjoyed running outside), since it was too cold for me. Soo I also ended up not eating as healthy as I was doing, and I ended up back at around 210lbs. I've just been hanging out around 210 for the past few months now, but I have started doing the P90 workout videos, and plan on getting back down to about 190 before my surgery. I'm 5'11 by the way, if you need to know how my weight is compared to my height.

My questions are: Is it going to be an issue losing more weight after my surgery? I realize i probably wont be able to workout for a month or so after it...but like say during the next 6 months, if i were to lose another 10-20 lbs...would that be a bad idea in regards to my chest? As in, would losing more weight..make my chest look weird?

Also, I do plan on getting into the P90X hopefully by next January, and really start to tone up. So yea, has anyone had any issues with it being a bad idea to lose roughly 20 lbs AFTER surgery and also toning up?

And last but not least, looking for a rough answer regarding the compression vests... With Dr. Bermant (who i plan on going to for my surgery) he makes use of a Stage 1 Vest, and then a Stage 2 vest. Roughly how long have any of you had to wear your vests? I'm getting the sense that its anywhere from 4-6 weeks, depending on how your body heals.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Losing weight and staying steadily at that weight prior to surgery is your best bet for a good outcome.  Up and down weight gain/loss (called "yo-yoing") is not great for your skin's elasticity -- and the elasticity is necessary for a good outcome for gyne surgery utilizing minimal scar techniques.

If you lose a few pounds after gyne surgery, it really won't matter.  But if you lose substantial weight, then the results of the surgery could be affected.  That is why it is best to lose as much weight as you feel comfortable prior to surgery.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

Hi all,

Over the last year I've kind of fluctuated between weights. I started running and working out quite a bit during the summer and went from 225lbs down to 185lbs. Then when winter came, i stopped running (i really enjoyed running outside), since it was too cold for me. Soo I also ended up not eating as healthy as I was doing, and I ended up back at around 210lbs. I've just been hanging out around 210 for the past few months now, but I have started doing the P90 workout videos, and plan on getting back down to about 190 before my surgery. I'm 5'11 by the way, if you need to know how my weight is compared to my height.

My questions are: Is it going to be an issue losing more weight after my surgery? I realize i probably wont be able to workout for a month or so after it...but like say during the next 6 months, if i were to lose another 10-20 lbs...would that be a bad idea in regards to my chest? As in, would losing more weight..make my chest look weird?

Also, I do plan on getting into the P90X hopefully by next January, and really start to tone up. So yea, has anyone had any issues with it being a bad idea to lose roughly 20 lbs AFTER surgery and also toning up?

And last but not least, looking for a rough answer regarding the compression vests... With Dr. Bermant (who i plan on going to for my surgery) he makes use of a Stage 1 Vest, and then a Stage 2 vest. Roughly how long have any of you had to wear your vests? I'm getting the sense that its anywhere from 4-6 weeks, depending on how your body heals.

For my patients, I advise them to get to a weight they are comfortable with before surgery. Weight loss after surgery is not predictable, you cannot pick where the weight goes on, nor where the weight comes off. I just operated on a patient who lost 15 -20 pounds after sending me his photographs before surgery. A major amount did come off his chest for that patient, but that was before surgery. But from the picture point of view, it really was as if I was looking at 2 different people. Now the amount of weight that makes a difference can vary from individual to individual.

As a surgical sculptor I prefer using a coarse tool first and then one of refinement. Losing weight is that coarse tool. Plastic Surgery is best reserved for refinement.

I also have had patients who lost weight after surgery. Some got away with it. For others it came off in a fashion that left results less satisfactory, you just cannot predict. The unhappy patients were those from other doctors' prior surgery, and then had lost the weight. Most said they were angry that they had not been educated about such issues before surgery.

There is an exception to this format. The extreme athlete / bodybuilder. For these patients, I prefer to sculpt their off season weight. As body fat gets extremely low, healing can be impaired and there are few resources left to target gland first. A great example is this Competition Body Builder with Gynecomastia. Look at his body fat before surgery in his competition posing, the fat he had during surgery (obviously more), and the competition posing after surgery.

I prefer to adjust the time for wearing After Surgery Compression Garments based on the original problem, what needed to be done, after surgery issues, patient skin type, healing, and many other factors that I help patients explore during their education with us.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I had a patient lose weight and really bulk up on the P90X regimen.  It was a very, very tough exercise and diet regimen -- but he stuck to the letter of the program.

While I don't usually recommend specific products, this one really did the job on my patient and I was impressed by it.

Good luck with your weight loss and let us know how you fared on the program -- I am sure many guys on this forum would be interested..

Dr Jacobs

Offline mcpuffles

Thanks for the replies.

I've been able to deal with this issue for 10 years, surely I can deal with it for a few more months in order for me to lose the weight again  ;D

It was kind of depressing before, when I lost all the weight and still had the issues with puffy nipples...soo i think this time once i lose the weight and then have surgery, I'll have a lot of confidence to push forward and continue to workout! (not to mention save up more money, so that i don't have to borrow as much!)

I will be taking photos throughout this process, and hopefully at the end ill have enough pride to post them! I've only messed around with the P90 program for a few weeks, and I would say it is definitely a great workout, and can't wait to get into the P90x after surgery healing.

Also if anyone is interested in trying it out, you should check out youtube videos of people who are currently undergoing it. The results really provide a TON of inspiration, as well as their situations. (Like working full time, with 2-3 kids..and still finding the time to put in the workout 6 days a week, for ~45 min)

thanks again for the replies!

~Puffles

DrBermant

Thanks for the replies.

I've been able to deal with this issue for 10 years, surely I can deal with it for a few more months in order for me to lose the weight again  ;D

It was kind of depressing before, when I lost all the weight and still had the issues with puffy nipples...soo i think this time once i lose the weight and then have surgery, I'll have a lot of confidence to push forward and continue to workout! (not to mention save up more money, so that i don't have to borrow as much!)

I will be taking photos throughout this process, and hopefully at the end ill have enough pride to post them! I've only messed around with the P90 program for a few weeks, and I would say it is definitely a great workout, and can't wait to get into the P90x after surgery healing.

Also if anyone is interested in trying it out, you should check out youtube videos of people who are currently undergoing it. The results really provide a TON of inspiration, as well as their situations. (Like working full time, with 2-3 kids..and still finding the time to put in the workout 6 days a week, for ~45 min)

thanks again for the replies!

~Puffles

Unfortunately, weight loss will not get rid of the gland and loose skin may become a factor. Being patients helps to get to a better final contour. That is why I show my patients such stress reducing temporizing Body Shaping Compression Garments that hide the contour temporarily while being worn.

Here are the Standard Pictures for Men Losing Weight that I developed to show the progress and possible loose skin issues. Carefully showing what is going on with the contour, weight, and do not forget Body Fat Analysis, can be helpful in understanding what compromise a patient want to have. (You need to consider body fat since the scale will not show changes as fat is converted to muscle and so it may not be weight loss that is the final issue, but body fat that remains.)

Good luck on your progress.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024