Author Topic: Discharge after having stitches removed  (Read 5566 times)

Offline Sandstorm

I had my gyne surgery about 2 weeks ago on Sept. 2 and I've been doing pretty well since then. There wasn't much pain, and less swelling than my surgeon expected. I had my drains removed after 6 days because I wasn't discharging much. I had my stitches removed about 12 days after the surgery and since then I've been told to massage myself to break up the scar tissue that has developed. Yesterday, I noticed that the holes where the stitches were clipped (they haven't completely closed yet) were discharging some blood and something that looks like pus but is brownish when wiped off. Is this normal? What is the pus-looking substance? Do I have an infection? I'd really appreciate it if someone could clear up my concerns about this.

Offline drdeadlift

• Posting Member
Is there any swelling or pain? That is usually a sign of an infection.

I had the same problem as you, there was a reddish/brown discharge on a dressing from a small opening in my right nipple about 5 days after the stitches had been taken out. I was too vigorous with my massage and had opened up the scar  :-\

I was really worried that it was infected, but I just kept it clean and applied some antibiotic ointment to be safe and now everything seems to be ok.

I think the discharge may have been a mix of blood and serous fluid, so nothing to worry about. Just keep an eye out for any localised pain, swelling or redness as this could indicate an infection.

Offline Sandstorm

Thanks. I went ahead and used the antibiotics and there hasn't been any discharge today since I haven't massaged at all. I think I'll wait a few days before starting to massage the scar tissue again. Thanks a lot for the helpful reply! :>

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024