Author Topic: The military could save my chest, pictures....  (Read 6257 times)

Offline JDubya1013

• Posting Member
For those of you thinking about joining (ive read on here some guys were afraid to join because of the gyne), I just saw the Doc on Thursday.  He knew exactly what I had and has even sat in on 2 gyne surgeries while in the military.  He took some blood work and even a chest x-ray, but the lab work will be back in about 2 weeks.  After that he will set me up with the General Surgeon at the hospital and its a 99% chance that I am going to have the surgery.  I was also told that this is a fairly common surgery in the military, and its absolutely free.  Ive been in the USAF for almost 2 years and just now brought it up, but looks like im getting rid of the gyne.  As far as I can see, I wont need lipo, just an excision maybe????  Kind of old picture, slightly more muscle in the chest area now...

« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 12:05:26 PM by web_admin »

Offline bigpapi34

• Posting Member
Hmmm. I'm a sophomore in high school, I was always afraid of considering the military. Doesn't your gyno make you uncomfortable a lot? I was thinking of joining the army.

Offline JDubya1013

• Posting Member
Well its only going to be as uncomfortable as you let it, and honestly, noone has ever given me flac for it.  Granted, I dont have a severe case, but its enough where I dont go to the beach, pool, etc...  Whatever you do, dont let your condition hold you back

Offline JDubya1013

• Posting Member
What is the difference between a General surgeon and a regular plastic surgeon?? When I meet with him I have alot of questions, and if he has done less than 10 gyne operations I might back off it..... any advice here?

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
As a former USAF Medic, (1955-1963) I can tell you that the armed forces recruit their doctors from among the finest.  The fields of reconstructive and cosmetic surgery had their greatest development in the treatment of battle wounds, Yes, by Military Doctors.  A military surgeon would be young, which means that you have a surgeon who may be short on reputation but who has the very latest, up to date training.  I'd accept that as a fair trade.

Good luck!
Grandpa Dan

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
You may be surprised to find out what a Military Hospital is doing.

As an Air force Medic for eight years, I spent three years in a pediatric clinic and a full year in an obstetric delivery room.  Military people have families too.

It was while working in the delivery room (with a Board Gynecologist) That I found out a great deal about my own Gynecomastia.  

If you do not have access to an endocrinologist,  A gynecologist is more knowlegeable  about glandular and hormonal issues than almost anyone else.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 03:51:53 PM by Paa_Paw »

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
there's merit on both sides here.  the main thing is how well does he know gyne technique.  if he's done ops before that's good, but if like many generalists he doesn't even know to do a partial cut on the areolar edge, he'll just give you a visible scar somewhere and figure those are just the breaks patients have to live with.  so definitely arrange to talk with the guy extensively beforehand.  

this is good.  i can't say how many pre-inductees i've told the military would probably do this for them.  one notch to the credit of the services, this ain't no elective botox stuff.  
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline JDubya1013

• Posting Member
As far as I can see, I dont need lipo.  Excision only seems simple, and I understand it can get f**** up, but I figure its worth a shot.  Also, does every gyne surgery require lipo for the desired look??

Offline zjab58

• Gold Member
  • Edging dangerously close to sanity.
Your signing your life away to have the operation

i may be wrong but isn't he already in the military? If he was just signing up for the surgery than the whole plan would be assinine. If, however, he has been in for a while already (2 years I believe is what was said) and there is a chance that he could have this surgery done for free than I say at least check it out. You do get what you pay for though.
   With regards to what Paw-Paw said, The military men/women have families too. He was refering to the fact that they recruit every kind of doctor. Doesn't anyone remember just a few months ago when  there was a big controversy about women using this aspect of the armed forces to get free boob jobs? This I think proves that there are plastic surgeons on the force.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2005, 09:37:57 AM by zjab58 »

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Gyno51, You are correct, Doctors in general do not stay in the service very long.  There is almost no incentive given the difference between their earning potential in the service as compared with what they could earn as a civilian.  I did know a couple of very good Doctors who remained in the service, But they were the exception.

Doctors are recruited in a way that many people will easily understand. You see it takes many years of very expensive schooling before one becomes a Doctor.  The services will underwrite the cost of the education of a promising Medical student in exchange for an agreed to term of military service.  That way the Services benefit from having Doctors with the latest, up to date, training; while the Med Student gets the financial help with their education.  The education and experience of these Doctors is quite complete, including residencies. Many of the doctors are board certified in their respective specialties before entering the military.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024