Author Topic: Gynecomastia discovered on CT scan  (Read 4193 times)

Offline Gemineye

Hi, I'm new to this group. Sorry if this not in the right area of the forum! I recently had a CT scan to screen for lung cancer. One of the incidental findings was gyno. I have noticed a persistent itching in my right breast area for a couple of years.I have an appointment with my doctor in a couple of weeks and wanted to know what questions to ask. I'm a 61 year old male and overweight. Should I ask for hormone tests?Will it get worse? I've read that even early lung cancer can cause gyno. Is this true? I had 2 small nodules in my lung and have multiple risk factors so that's why I ask. Any info you can give this newbie would be helpful. Thanks!

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
The incidence of gynecomastia seems to increase with age. Partially because the Testosterone levels fall and partly because of some of the medications we take as we get older.

While gynecomastia can be a symptom, it is not a disease itself. If the condition was found on a scan, it is probably true to say that you had no prior awareness or concern. Under those conditions, It might be best to simply ignore it.

I've had the condition since age of 12. That would have been in 1949.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 11:18:27 PM by Paa_Paw »
Grandpa Dan

Offline Neil123

• Bronze Member
wanna hear something funny grandpa Dan, my dad has a huge gyne, he is your age and get this - he doesn't even know it! it's like he doesn't care and NEVER bothered him. I, in the other hand, have gyne half his size and it has affected my life in ways you would not believe. Sincerely

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I do not wish to seem rude, but you must ask yourself a few serious questions.

What is there about your father's character that allowed him to ignore this and what is missing in you that makes this a big deal? Answer that and you'll be a tough character to reckon with thereafter.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024