Author Topic: Approximately 10% of men who get the procedure have a secondary one done  (Read 4128 times)

Offline Wayne1985

• Silver Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa2HaT36BAs&feature=related

I've never seen that published anywhere on the forum.  According to this video at about 5:35, one in ten guys who gets the surgery goes back for a revision.

Offline wolfman

• keep fighting my friends
start a poll and see what the result is.

i had 2 surgerys
i finally feel like im a man

DrBermant

I've never seen that published anywhere on the forum.  According to this video at about 5:35, one in ten guys who gets the surgery goes back for a revision.

I perform alot of Revision Gynecomastia Surgery. However, these are patients from other doctors who were unhappy with their prior results.  My revision rate for my own cases is less than 1%. 

In the literature, some publish revision rates as high as 60%.  That is why it is so important to be careful picking a doctor for surgery.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia Surgery

Offline johnsmithreturns

• Posting Member

I perform alot of Revision Gynecomastia Surgery. However, these are patients from other doctors who were unhappy with their prior results.  My revision rate for my own cases is less than 1%. 

In the literature, some publish revision rates as high as 60%.  That is why it is so important to be careful picking a doctor for surgery.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD

Are your revisions mostly because the previous doctor did Lipo only and left the gland or because they were not aggressive enough with the lipo?

Also, are you able to reach all fat deposit areas which contribute to the gynecomasia from the 2 cm incision on the bottom on the areola. I realize you do this to reduce the number of scars required for the procedure however do you find that you are able to remove the amount of fat required and reach all the areas from this incision point?

The reason I ask is because I have never seen a doctor use this method before and I was wondering why not since it seems reduce the scars required for the procedure.

Thanks.

Offline smithers

• Bronze Member
Two weeks away from surgery and this is something I don't want to read about. However, my surgery is with Dr. Fielding in Toronto has performed a couple of hundred to say the least.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
All the numbers that you may hear about regarding revision surgery are anecdotal.  There are no scientific studies to justify them.

I do about 150 gyne cases a year -- and my revision rate is maybe 1-2%.  I do see and operate upon patients who have had surgery by other surgeons -- but there is no way to deduce that a standard revision rate is 10% or even higher.

Lesson to be learned:  choose your surgeon wisely.  One of the questions to be posed to your surgeon-to-be is what his personal revision rate is.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD

Are your revisions mostly because the previous doctor did Lipo only and left the gland or because they were not aggressive enough with the lipo?

Also, are you able to reach all fat deposit areas which contribute to the gynecomasia from the 2 cm incision on the bottom on the areola. I realize you do this to reduce the number of scars required for the procedure however do you find that you are able to remove the amount of fat required and reach all the areas from this incision point?

The reason I ask is because I have never seen a doctor use this method before and I was wondering why not since it seems reduce the scars required for the procedure.

Thanks.

Most of the Revision Gynecomastia Surgery is performed for contour deformities resulting from residual gland left after other doctors' liposuction only techniques.  Check out the link Remaining Gland After Gynecomastia Surgery.  Move your cursor over that link under the images to see what I mean.  I have posted several examples on my website of actual cases, but probably really need to add to that section since I have done so many cases over the years. 

I also see many Crater Deformity Defect Complications after Gynecomastia Surgery by other doctors.  Some of these problems have surgical solutions.  Others do not.  It is easier to remove tissue than put back.  That is why it is so important to chose your surgeon wisely. 

My areola edge incision now typically is between 1.6 and 1.8 cm for normal gynecomastia.  This central incision permits access to the fat I need to sculpt and minimizes the number of surface scars.  You can see Pictures of My Gynecomastia Liposuction Access Here

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Revision Gynecomastia and Chest Surgery

Offline shen

• Posting Member
Will surgeons usually give discounts for revision surgeries? I just had mine done yesterday, I haven't seen the results, but if I end up needing revision I would not be very happy (after spending $4K).

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I can only speak for my practice.  I have a very low revision rate.  If, however, I feel a revision is necessary, I do not charge anything for my services.  There would be a small charge for the anesthesia doctor if anything other than local anesthesia is needed.

Many surgeons have different policies for revision.  It would behoove a patient who is considering a surgeon to question him about his financial policies about revision.

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024