Author Topic: Going to see a doctor HELP  (Read 2826 times)

Offline rn076q

• Posting Member

Well I'm new here so a little about me.

I live in England and Im 22 years old I have had this problem since 12 or 13.

I have never talked to anyone about it or let anyone know it is bothering me. I have hidden it and still do by wearing a jacket over my t-shirt or layering which is a nightmare in the summer.

Many people have made hurtful comments about it a few occasions come to mind.

I went on holiday with my then girlfriend and her uncle & aunt I did not want to go swimming but felt I had too. Her 4 year old nephew kept saying I had boobs like a woman. I felt like I wanted to just curl up and die. I realised that I had been trying to put a brave face on it and his reaction (kids say what they think) will be what other people think.

Girls asking what bra size I was when I had to wear a plain white t for physical education.

And numerous other times.

I am sick of this but I do not know what to do I do not have money for surgery. I have heard that the NHS in this country does referals and in some cases pays for the operation.

But my doctor is a family friend and having known him all my life I think he would dismiss my worries.

Theres hardly a time Im not thinking about it and thinking how good it would be to get rid of this when I was younger I would starve myself to try and lose weight as I thought it was just fat.

I just wanted to know if anyone else is in the UK and knows about what the NHS can or cannot do.

Offline jalen_rose5

• Posting Member
  • conditioning coach for the Indiana Pacers
i feel for you bro. Up here in the great north Canada my surgery was free since our health system here covers it, save the liposuction. You may want to appeal that to your insurance company and if possible your governmental health care system. Otherwise get a job and start saving... :(
Best of luck!

Offline ruggedtoast

• Silver Member
Theres more than  a few threads about this over on the uk branch. I started onethere  about my gp experience.

FWIW When  I went to my doctor I was absolutely petrified but its a giant weight off your shoulders when you go and get the ball rolling.

If you dont want to see your family doctor go and see another one as is your right under nhs regulations. You can call nhs direct about it.

My doctor didnt hesitate to refer me to an endocrinologist and said that if that doesnt work i can see a plastic surgeon. He said that was because I am slim and my chest is obviously disproportionate to the rest of me. You would have to be  a pretty insesntive doctor not to be able to work out that being a man with breasts is pretty psychologically debilitating, and theyre paid to help you anyway.

It also helps if you tell him/her its painful. In my case it is sometimes, I think for most people.

Generally with the nhs the less overweight you are the more inclined they'll be to help you.

Good luck.

Offline rn076q

• Posting Member
thanks for the replies i'm looking into getting another doctor to see , Im about 5'11" and weigh arourd 12 and a half stone so Im not obese but i do have a belly I have decided to sort the doctor out, and in the meantime I am starting to eat right and go running again who knows it may help sort the problem.

If not it's off to the doctors.

It has made me feel better talking about it with other people in the same boat so thanks.

Offline bathroom

• Posting Member
Just go to a doctor.  YOu'd better make an appointment now.  Dont' they have long waits in England?

Doctors have seen some of the most horrific, embarassing stuff you can imagine.  They deal with it coldly and clinically all the time.  That's their job.  Don't sweat it.  They've seen it all before.

How much is a "stone"?  14 lbs?  

Offline ruggedtoast

• Silver Member
LOL, it doesnt take THAT long.

Offline goaliesuperstar

• Bronze Member
hey jalen_rose,

Where u from in canada and did u have a bad case in order for the government to pay for it?

You can PM me with the info of your surgery. It would be appreciated.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024