Author Topic: I saw a guy with gyne...  (Read 5695 times)

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
I saw a guy with gyne today walking by my truck in a parking lot.  It was severe.  He was wearing a t-shirt and you could see them bouncing through it.  I don't know about you guys but I wish there was a socially acceptable way to say, "Hey dude, I noticed you have gynecomastia.  There's this great web site.... ".  

Have any of you ever noticed somebody's gyne and said anything to him about it?

It's amazing the things I think about when I'm drinking Cruzan Rum and Coke.   ::)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 06:12:45 PM by Mr_Nip »
MR. NIP

I come from nowhere
And you should go there.
Just try it for a while.
The people from nowhere always smile.  -  Frank Zappa

Offline Worrier

• Gold Member
I see quite a few people with it to various degrees in the pool and in the gym. Even some of the serious swimmer types seem to suffer from it. And I think it looks even worse if you see a guy with a hairless chest with it.

Would I say anything no. I don't know these people and don't know how they react or even consider themselves with a problem.

When I had breasticles if some total stranger had come up to me in a public place and said 'dude you have gyne' I would have said 'what's that' and when he explained I  would thought he was taking the pi$$ out of  me.I know your only trying to help but I probably wouldn't have thought that.I don't think I would have said 'thanks for educating me' , put it that way.If I  was drunk I would have thought you were directing me to a gay website or something and there would have been fireworks....

Knowing about this condition now, If a friend had a case and it was affecting him then yes I would .But a stranger no because I don't think it is any of my business.Maybe it is because Iam  British ;D

« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 12:56:34 AM by Worrier »

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Have any of you ever noticed somebody's gyne and said anything to him about it?

Yeah, a student that was working for the summer where I work wore two shirts all the time and looked as if he might have Gyne. I told him about this Site.... Left it at that. Not sure if he ever checked the Site out tho.

I've seen some guys (like you mentioned) that have a very obvious case of Gyne and want to tell them that it can be corrected. However, you don't know how they may take your concern in their physical appearance. They may feel insulted.

John.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 07:01:13 PM by Bambu »
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
still my favorite post ever on this board out of tens of thousands, for newer people who've never seen it.  just remember it's not a recent/current thread:    

http://www.gynecomastia.org/cgi-bin/gyne_yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=1069020120;start=0#0

of course in any discussion situation i'd be REAL sure nobody else was around listening first ;)  
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 07:54:27 PM by headheldhigh01 »
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline Bradley07

• Silver Member
well, my gyne case is very mild..my doc says it's the smallest amount of tissue that he will ever have had to remove. what makes me sad is when i go to my gym...well, there are several guys who have it  in one form or another, but there's this one guy in particular...and he seems to have a pretty bad case of it, and i always see him trying to bench press heavy weights..and he's NOT a big guy...not muscular at all. and i try not to stare, but i *know* intuitively that he's over there bench pressing 'cause he thinks the breasts are going to disappear. he prob doesn't know anything about gyne. probably thinks he just needs to "shape up". but i can't just walk up to a total stranger and mention it. but maybe i could get some brochures about gyne from a plastic surgeon's office and post them on 1 of the bulletin boards in the gym.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
I can't just walk up to a total stranger and mention it. but maybe i could get some brochures about gyne from a plastic surgeon's office and post them on 1 of the bulletin boards in the gym.

Exellent idea dude....  ;)

John.

Offline Mr_Nip

I agree that is a great idea.  
To take it a step further, I may get some business card blanks for the printer and print on them "gynecomastia.org".  You could hand out that card and/or post it on bulletin boards without embarrassing anyone.   You know that curiosity would force people to look at the site.  Maybe Merle would need to approve the card before showing it, or perhaps he would prefer to design a card and make it available for PDF download (hint, hint, hint  ;)).   Maybe it's because I was in the dark for so long, but I'm beginning to feel an obligation to let suffering men know about this.  

Offline Bradley07

• Silver Member
well, it's interesting that people don't anything about it. especially since some statistics put the % of men suffering from it at btwn 40-60%  :o

we could be the *majority* and not the *minority*.

i remember there was a news piece about it on abc (on 20/20) a couple years ago, but other than that, i've never seen it discussed anywhere.  

i didn't find out about it  until i started doing google searches on excercises for "chest fat". little did i know that it wasn't "chest fat".  ::)

Offline igotit

well, it's interesting that people don't anything about it. especially since some statistics put the % of men suffering from it at btwn 40-60%  :o

we could be the *majority* and not the *minority*.

i remember there was a news piece about it on abc (on 20/20) a couple years ago, but other than that, i've never seen it discussed anywhere.  

i didn't find out about it  until i started doing google searches on excercises for "chest fat". little did i know that it wasn't "chest fat".  ::)

yeah same for me, I always thought it was "Chest Fat" cause I am pretty obese, did a search on yahoo on "how to lose chest fat" and this site came up, my first reaction Holy $***.  A guy that  works at the same warehouse as me once was wearing a shirt that read " Yeah Im fat, Youre ugly, I can loose weight" and I told him great shirt dude, and eventually started a conversation about being overweight which lead to a conversation about gyne.

Offline Yoshi

• Bronze Member
well, my gyne case is very mild..my doc says it's the smallest amount of tissue that he will ever have had to remove. what makes me sad is when i go to my gym...well, there are several guys who have it  in one form or another, but there's this one guy in particular...and he seems to have a pretty bad case of it, and i always see him trying to bench press heavy weights..and he's NOT a big guy...not muscular at all. and i try not to stare, but i *know* intuitively that he's over there bench pressing 'cause he thinks the breasts are going to disappear. he prob doesn't know anything about gyne. probably thinks he just needs to "shape up". but i can't just walk up to a total stranger and mention it. but maybe i could get some brochures about gyne from a plastic surgeon's office and post them on 1 of the bulletin boards in the gym.

What gym did you go to
<_<

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
bradley, judging by my pe classes or a beach, probably not.  i think those numbers include the guys who get it then lose it or barely get it to speak of.    

Offline merle

• Gold Member
  • Author, Psychotherapist, Consultant
    • Merle James Yost, LMFT
I have a card that just says Gynecomastia.org

If that is all that is on the template I could post it. I think that is an Illustrator file. It can be printed on anything.

Merle

Demystifying Gynecomastia: Men with Breasts
The first book on Gynecomastia

My newest book: Facing the Truth of Your Life is very relevant to members of this forum. It could save you a lot of unnecessary pain and time.

Book books are available on Amazon. FTTOYL is also available through your local bookstore or on Audible or iTunes.

Offline desi

• Gold Member
i sent an anonymous email to my friend regarding thids website. i dont think he still knows im the one ..
Formerly, 'Fattgayee', as in 'Torn Apart' or more so 'I am Screwed' :)

Offline Mr_Nip

Merle, thanks for that.

The Juice, I understand that any mention of gyne, even not having anything to do with that person, will make him feel more self-conscious.  I was self-conscious even when I saw my reflection as I walked by a store window.  Self-conscious is a given.  You're right, it should be mentioned in a constructive and respectful way.  That's why I like the card idea.  There's no real confrontation that way.   No on-the-spot public humiliation.  When the guy sees the site, I'd guess there's at least a 70% chance it will be appreciated, even if there's a little self-consciousness.  In my opinion, that's worth the risk.

Offline Mr_Nip

I completely agree about the card. I was just saying an anonymous email from "a friend" would practically be confirmation that others notice your gyno, and gives you more reason to feel self-conscious and think others are making fun of you. Of course, an anonymous email from a friend who also has it who assures you that this person probably isn't making fun of you and genuinely wants to help.

That's so right.  It's like when I was at the beach hanging out with the family and I was already self-conscious just being there without a shirt.  I felt like everybody was looking out of the corners of their eyes and laughing.  About the time I would convince myself that it was all in my head, some itch-bay would be smiling and looking my way.  She actually started pointing me out to her boyfriend so he could look and enjoy the hilarious spectacle of my gyne as well.  That kind of thing happened all the time to me.  No wonder we're so self-conscious.  

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024