Author Topic: Just how important is it to find a 'Board Certified' PS?  (Read 6062 times)

Offline crossfit99

• Silver Member
I'm sorry to hear about your experience. You certainly did your homework, and it's unfortunate that the outcome is disappointing.  I would caution you that you need to allow time for the chest to heal before jumping into a revision.  I won't typically do anything before six months to a year, depending on what the issue is. 

That said, I do sometimes do liposuction as a revision in the office if, for example, there is an asymmetry, for example.  This is easily done with local anesthesia, and if the patient is anxious, I will sometimes give some oral sedation. I'm not able to give more anesthesia in the office (intravenous sedation, for example), so if something more is required, the procedure would have to be done in the operating room--which has occurred only once in my practice. Otherwise, I've always done my revisions in the office with local.  In terms of pricing for such revisions, we only charge a nominal fee to cover our overhead and supplies (typically $300).  You should ask about your surgeon's revision policy.

Rick Silverman

Thank you so much for the response. It is nice to know there are docs that care. I haven't given you a dime, yet you have offered more advice and help than the dude in which I forked out 5k.

That is music to my ears as far as the local/lipo. I didn't get ANY lipo so I'm not sure if that matters or not. Also, in your experience does lipo help out with removing creases?? I just assumed that was the issue, but I'd assume it's a decent amount of lipo thar would need to be done...

Thanks again man, I really appreciate your input.

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
From my perspective board certification is a good start.Its like getting a drivers license.As far as gynecomastia or any problem for that matter the more experience an individual has with a specific problem the more likely an optimal result for the specific patient. However a great hand surgeon with lots of experience would not be the person you might choose to turn to for nasal surgery. Gynecomastia is a relatively rare problem that has only recently begun to get more attention nationally.I suspect there are relatively few individuals who has any significant experience with the problem.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline crossfit99

• Silver Member
From my perspective board certification is a good start.Its like getting a drivers license.As far as gynecomastia or any problem for that matter the more experience an individual has with a specific problem the more likely an optimal result for the specific patient. However a great hand surgeon with lots of experience would not be the person you might choose to turn to for nasal surgery. Gynecomastia is a relatively rare problem that has only recently begun to get more attention nationally.I suspect there are relatively few individuals who has any significant experience with the problem.

With all due respect, Dr, but do you even read the threads, or just the titles then respond?

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website

Thank you so much for the response. It is nice to know there are docs that care. I haven't given you a dime, yet you have offered more advice and help than the dude in which I forked out 5k.

That is music to my ears as far as the local/lipo. I didn't get ANY lipo so I'm not sure if that matters or not. Also, in your experience does lipo help out with removing creases?? I just assumed that was the issue, but I'd assume it's a decent amount of lipo thar would need to be done...

Thanks again man, I really appreciate your input.

Liposuction helps to reduce the amount of fat in the chest to provide a smoother transition between the area of excision and the surrounding area.  This gives a smoother contour after the area has healed up.  It may also assist with skin retraction, which will occur to some degree following the procedure.  I'm not sure if it would serve to remedy any creases--I'd have to evaluate you or at least see some photos to know if it would do anything for that. 

RS
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
Sorry to hear about your result.  It's unfortunate, especially considering how diligent you were in selecting a plastic surgeon.  But I know every doc on this site will still stand behind board certification in plastic surgery as the gold standard for gynecomastia surgery.  Your thread has attracted a lot of attention, as we're all concerned about unqualified docs performing surgery of any kind. 

Regarding local vs. general anesthesia and the cost, I often perform minor liposuction under local anesthesia.  If it's a small revision I will recommend local.  If it's a larger revision, and you have to consider that scar tissue from previous surgery will make passage of a cannula more difficult, I'll recommend general anesthesia.  That cost in my area runs around $300 to $350 per hour.

Dr. Pope, MD
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline crossfit99

• Silver Member
Thank you both very much.

As for now, I am just in the gym training my butt off and I will see how thongs progress. I go back May 14th, at that point I can discuss $$ with him. I have a gut feeling if I get in really good shape it will look OK, however I paid to have my chest sculpted and want lipo done to the areas I struggle with. At this point only time will tell.

Wrote this on my phone so excuse the poor grammar and choppy sentences.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024