Author Topic: 1 day post op and a little concerned about bleeding.. pic avail...Docs???  (Read 3344 times)

Offline noobs101

• Posting Member
Hi guys, so I'm happy that I finally had my op and it was a breeze that took only an hour.. had excision and lipo.  Op took place at 1:30pm, woke up at 2:50pm and left hospital at 4:30pm and felt like normal.

Question:  I noticed after I got home yesterday that I had alot of bleeding under my right armpit that leaked out and soaked into my shirt.  It looks like it has all dried up now but should I be concerned or is this normal???..photo below.

(rant)Btw, I had the worse sleep in my life..lol.. I'm a side sleeper and my bed is really plush so I didn't sleep at all last nite as it's nearly impossible for me to fall asleep on my back =( .... the padding and tightness of the vest makes it worse!! (end of rant)

More Questions: I wonder if it's ok to adjust the vest myself??.... am I allow to take the padding off on my chest and take a peak at it???..LOL, I really want to take a peak but am reluctant to take off the vest and pads because I'm scared that I can't put it back on myself.

ummmm..no more questions for now...thanks all!
Dr. Craig Fielding    416.766.8890    Toronto
1st consultation: Sept 15th 2008
2nd consultation: Oct 17th 2008
Surgery date: October 29th 2008
Cost for freedom $2100.

Special thanks to : Grandpa Bambu

Offline Dr Kapoor

• Bronze Member
    • Dr. Kapoor, Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon
Hi guys, so I'm happy that I finally had my op and it was a breeze that took only an hour.. had excision and lipo.  Op took place at 1:30pm, woke up at 2:50pm and left hospital at 4:30pm and felt like normal.

Question:  I noticed after I got home yesterday that I had alot of bleeding under my right armpit that leaked out and soaked into my shirt.  It looks like it has all dried up now but should I be concerned or is this normal???..photo below.

(rant)Btw, I had the worse sleep in my life..lol.. I'm a side sleeper and my bed is really plush so I didn't sleep at all last nite as it's nearly impossible for me to fall asleep on my back =( .... the padding and tightness of the vest makes it worse!! (end of rant)

More Questions: I wonder if it's ok to adjust the vest myself??.... am I allow to take the padding off on my chest and take a peak at it???..LOL, I really want to take a peak but am reluctant to take off the vest and pads because I'm scared that I can't put it back on myself.

ummmm..no more questions for now...thanks all!

What you are most likely seeing is a combination of tumescent liposuction fluid mixed with some blood (very normal after this surgery). It is normal to have some external drainage for up to 12-16 hours post operatively. Unless you have significant pain or swelling on that side, I wouldn't worry too much. It's probably okay to adjust your vest, but I would try to leave it in place for at least 48 hours so you get maximum compression  during this period to minimize your bruising.

Offline GynosaurusRex

• Posting Member
Interesting I noticed something similiar 3-4 days post-op - not as much blood though

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Dr Kapoor is correct.  Virtually all surgeons inject tumescent fluid (a combination of salt water -- saline -- and some other medications to diminish bleeding) into the breast prior to liposuction.  Much of the fluid is suctioned out while doing the lipo.  But some remains and mixes with a little bit of blood (which is expected) and then drains out through any incision that the surgeon made.  It looks like all blood and can be frightening.

It is absolutely normal for this to continue for 12-24 hours after surgery!  No need to worry.  In fact, I advise my patients to expect that it may happen so that they are not surprised.

As to manipulating your vest?  I would call your surgeon for his advice.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024