Author Topic: Knowing If You Have A Hematoma/Fluid?  (Read 3809 times)

Offline creative

• Bronze Member
Hi,

Can anyone please advise how you would know if you had any of these problems? I'm a few days post-op with no problems that i know of (touch wood), but since i have a bandage on, i can't see what is going on.  ::) Just a precautionary question really: what sort of sensation should there be if you had this problem?

I feel as though during the day, my chest swells, but when i go to sleep and wake up in the morning, it seems to have gone down? Perhaps it's just me! ;)

Offline bmwman

• Posting Member
hey man my doctor told me that it would hurt alot when u touch it if u had hematoma... the fluid come out on its own for me...

Offline Jopet

• Silver Member
  • MANILA, PHILIPPINES
hi there... how will the fluids come out on its own?
where it will flow? right in the stitches?
*** THE GREATEST AMOUNT OF WASTED TIME IS THE TIME NOT GETTING STARTED. ***

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
A hematoma is a collection of blood in a space.  You would know if one side of your chest is much larger than the other, if there is more discomfort on that side, and if you are bruised more on that side.  Your surgeon can diagnose it with two fingers or two hands.  Place them on each side of the suspected hematoma.  If you press on one side and the other side rises, then a hematoma is suspected.

Many hematomas can be treated, if they are small, by either removal with a needle (don't worry, the skin is numb) or by watchful waiting.  If it is a large hematoma, then the surgeon may opt to open the incision (in the operating room) and remove the hematoma in this way.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

Hi,

Can anyone please advise how you would know if you had any of these problems? I'm a few days post-op with no problems that i know of (touch wood), but since i have a bandage on, i can't see what is going on.  ::) Just a precautionary question really: what sort of sensation should there be if you had this problem?

I feel as though during the day, my chest swells, but when i go to sleep and wake up in the morning, it seems to have gone down? Perhaps it's just me! ;)

A Hematoma Complication After Gynecomastia Surgery can be a real problem and your own surgeon should want to know about such issues immediately.  Such a collection of blood tends to get bigger with bleeding or trauma, and goes down with drainage or as the body slowly metabolizes the blood products.  As the skin expands with pressure, many have pain from the expansion yet the skin may be numb from the nerves being further stretched by the extra fluid.

Swelling After Gynecomastia Surgery depends on the problem treated, what was done, After Surgery Compression, After Surgery Care and many other factors.

For my patients, peak swelling should be at the time of surgery.  New swelling that occurs during the day can be a sign of pushing healing tissues too far too soon.  Such issues are best directed to your own doctor.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024