Author Topic: do pecs show after surgery?  (Read 5498 times)

Offline ell456

• Posting Member
im a pretty muscular guy but i have pretty bad gyno...as in full blown man boobs..and i was wondering if anyone can tell me if surgery would make my pecs stand out? when i got a consultation the doc told me the skin would contract heaps...does that mean around the muscle? or just so there arent skin folds etc

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
If you have well defined pecs, you should be able to notice them now. Your pecs sit much higher on the chest than G. If you don't have defined pecs, then getting surgery will not magically make them such....  ;)

Post a pic or two...

GB...
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 12:40:24 PM by Grandpa Bambu »
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline ell456

• Posting Member
well yeh they arent like cut or anything but people know i have them and u cant tell and stuff...was just wondering if the surgery would effect the look of them or anything thats all

Offline Grandpa Bambu

Naw dude, the surgeon doesn't touch the muscle, AFAIK...  ;)

GB...

Offline ell456

• Posting Member
haha cheers man...ill be getting the surgery i just wanted to make sure u know

Offline Grandpa Bambu

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I always tell my patients that properly done gyne surgery will reveal the pecs that are there -- but hidden by the gyne.  Surgery, of course, cannot add muscle nor will it remove muscle -- but the pec contours will be revealed.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Grandpa Bambu

but the pec contours will be revealed.

Dr Jacobs

The extent of which will be dependent on how much adipose tissue was there to begin with...

GB...

DrBermant

im a pretty muscular guy but i have pretty bad gyno...as in full blown man boobs..and i was wondering if anyone can tell me if surgery would make my pecs stand out? when i got a consultation the doc told me the skin would contract heaps...does that mean around the muscle? or just so there arent skin folds etc

I work with many Bodybuilders with Gynecomastia and it does not take much to distort the muscular male chest contour. You can find many examples of how surgery can let the muscle contour be revealed.  For most, skin does retract quite well. How much skin contracts depends on many factors. However, it will only contract to the base level fat left on the body. 

The extent of which will be dependent on how much adipose tissue was there to begin with...

GB...

Quite right! Surgery is not an answer to contour problems of generalized weight issues.  Male Body Fat Distribution extends around the chest and will also obscure muscle contours.

Dr. Jacobs is also correct, surgery will only reveal muscles that are already there.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
this seems like it's worth the followup question.  i assume the gyne is pretty discrete and identifiable once it's opened up, and maybe not too hard to detach, with a little patience, from the skin or the other side.  the standard medical disclaimer, reasonably, is that it's not possible to get every bit of it, that there are shreds or fingers left behind in places.  is it safe to say, though, in an excision case, that if you've got a thin mass but spread out over a larger area that you can still get 95+% of it as sort of a solid mass, or is it less well defined at the outer edges and harder to work with and get at there?    
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 10:50:57 PM by headheldhigh01 »
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline ell456

• Posting Member
yeh thanks everyone...i do have bulk muscle there to begin with, so im expecting to see it a lot more clearly once surgery is done. skin folds of the actual chest are normal because ive built up muscle, its just around the nipple and under the pecs where the fat and gyna has built up. so i should expect with skin contractions to see some good results  ;D

Offline Grandpa Bambu

I'm sure you'll see an improvement dude...  ;)

GB...
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 10:17:57 AM by Grandpa Bambu »

DrBermant

this seems like it's worth the followup question.  i assume the gyne is pretty discrete and identifiable once it's opened up, and maybe not too hard to detach, with a little patience, from the skin or the other side.  the standard medical disclaimer, reasonably, is that it's not possible to get every bit of it, that there are shreds or fingers left behind in places.  is it safe to say, though, in an excision case, that if you've got a thin mass but spread out over a larger area that you can still get 95+% of it as sort of a solid mass, or is it less well defined at the outer edges and harder to work with and get at there?    

How defined the gland is varies from patient to patient and often from side to side.  You can see some examples of how this gland disperses through fat in these drawings of the Anatomy of Gynecomastia or in these Male Mammograms.  This Picture Gallery of Glands Removed shows how extensive the gland can be, but it is kind of like looking at jelly fish out of water, the original shape is not the same after removal.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
it does - thanks. 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024