Author Topic: Torn muscle from surgery???  (Read 3721 times)

Offline nikl99

I'm about two weeks post op of getting lipo and the swelling and bruising is gone. My problem is when i flex it looks like my left pectoral is torn  as it does not really fill out to to middle of my chest. I'm 6ft 195lb and lifted on a regular basis before surgery. Is it possible to hurt or tear the muscle from lipo or will this fill out? My surgeon seems to think that nothing is wrong and it's not a big deal this early in recovery, but I'm still concerned. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Yes, it is theoretically possible to injure the chest muscle if your surgery has been done improperly.  But this type of injury is rare.

It is only two weeks after surgery and there is still a great deal of swelling present and a great deal of healing to go.  If you are concerned, then go back to your surgeon and inquire.  I am sure he will echo what I am saying -- that it's too early in the healing process to make any firm assessments about the results of the operation.

Being patient after this surgery is difficult -- but if you sit back and allow things to heal, I am sure many of your concerns will disappear.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline nikl99

I appreciate the info. I have another check up appointment here in a week or two so i'll ask again. I'm hoping its nothing serious. Thanks again.

DrBermant

I'm about two weeks post op of getting lipo and the swelling and bruising is gone. My problem is when i flex it looks like my left pectoral is torn  as it does not really fill out to to middle of my chest. I'm 6ft 195lb and lifted on a regular basis before surgery. Is it possible to hurt or tear the muscle from lipo or will this fill out? My surgeon seems to think that nothing is wrong and it's not a big deal this early in recovery, but I'm still concerned. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

At 2 weeks it is probably too early to tell. Standard After Gynecomastia Surgery Pictures only tell part of the story of this dynamic problem. Standard Video for Male Chest Documentation is much more revealing.

I have actually seen pectoral muscles torn from other doctors' misadventures. What I found during my revision surgery was muscle contracted and scared pulled away from its attachment to the rib cage. While this can be part of breast implant placement under muscle, it should never be a part of normal liposuction or male chest contouring. Here is an example of muscle no longer attached to the chest wall by the prior surgeon who placed breast implants and then removed them in this Transgender Male to Female to Male. It is the second video on that page that shows the weird movement that lack of muscle attachment creates when the arms are on the hips flexing the pectoral muscles. You do not see as much distortion on lifting the arms up over the head. You can also see the early result of this quite extensive Breast Reduction Chest Lift where I also reattached the pectoral muscles.

On the patients I saw who had muscle injured with liposuction, the movement was different. Each injury produces its own variation on dynamic action.

I have never created such an injury in my practice but with such an extensive Revision Gynecomastia Practice, seem to have attracted so many of this problem. Not all patients with this problem want to have revision surgery. It can be quite difficult reattaching the muscle after it scars down and contracts.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Revision Gynecomastia and Chest Surgery

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024