Author Topic: Scared ... post op  (Read 5464 times)

Offline js8577146

• Posting Member
Like many here I went through more then 10 years of hell living with gynecomastia.

I don't know if I can go through it again.

I'm not from the states. I finally took a trip to the states a couple of weeks ago

and had the surgery about 10 days ago at a well known doctor.

I have quite a lot of internal scars on the bottom part of my chest and towards the arm pit

the left side looks very tight at the bottom and lifts the chest up somewhat.

I met with the doctor the other day and I'm meeting him again next week before I go

and he assured me that it would go down but it would take months. I don't know, what else would he say.

I'm worried. It doesn't look good.

Any advice would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 09:43:08 AM by js8577146 »

Offline gyneco_1001

• Bronze Member
Posting pictures would help.. I'm pretty sure all the scarring, bruising and swelling are a part of the healing process though.

Offline js8577146

• Posting Member
I'll post some pictures

but does that even happen ?

The internal scarring tissue tensing up and causing that kind of deformity

and then going down with time ?

I don't think I've heard that one before.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 09:57:39 AM by js8577146 »

Offline js8577146

• Posting Member

Offline js8577146

• Posting Member

BTW what about icing ? massaging ? or anything else ?

Offline gyneco_1001

• Bronze Member
Your results look good bud... you have nothing to worry about and I am confident with time you will be very happy with your result as the scars subside, etc. etc. Massaging scars has known to help minimize scar formation so you may wanna try that... just keep massaging those areas to the point that the hard formation underneath them breaks but don't massage so hard that it causes you pain... but in all honesty, you're panicking for no reason... look at the other post-op pics on this forum and you'll see that you actually look in better shape comparatively. Good luck with everything!

Offline js8577146

• Posting Member
Thanks for replying !

Sorry if I am panicking. It's a sensitive issue.

So you think it will go down ?

The whole ordeal was pretty quick and so was the recovery.

I was feeling pretty good 2-3 days later.

The doctor and staff were extremely nice and understanding which made it a lot easier.

They made me feel really comfortable from the consultation to the surgery

and I've never talked to anyone about it including family and friends, not that I haven't been asked.

I remember talking to the anesthesiologist on the operating table with my glasses on.

The next thing I remember is waking up with my glasses and shirt back on in recovery.

I remember thinking to myself - did I just have the operation ? that's it ? I don't remember putting my shirt back on :)

A little over 10 days post op and there are absolutely no external scars around the nipple (knock wood!) and I'm very light skinned. Haven't tanned in over a decade :)

I was told the stitches would be done internally.

The cuts were very small, about a quarter not half way around the nipple.

I had (wow! I had) serious gyne. I probably lost a few pounds in the operation :)

I still can't wear a T-shirt, not a plain one because the left side doesn't look right.

The bottom part looks somewhat empty even through a shirt.

I hope it get's better from here ...

Any other comments or second opinions are welcomed.

I'll keep posting.

Offline kwl04

• Posting Member
I wouldn't worry.  I'm looked very similar and it's starting to go away.  Parts of your chest will turn really hard and then soften up. I was told not to begin massaging until after 4 weeks. I'd ask your Dr. if you have any concerns and follow is direction.

Offline js8577146

• Posting Member

Thank you.

I feel much better.

How long after did you start seeing changes ?

Offline pinchy68

• Posting Member
Don't worry. It's actually looking very good. Yes the tissues will relax and loosen as healing progresses. Judging from the length o the incision you mentioned, it looks like you picked a surgeon that knows what he is doing.
In terms of healing my experience was - peak scaring 6 wks, internal scars softening and relaxing ~3 months. Lymphatic system starting to work and thus reducing occasional swelling after ~6 - 10 wks.
Keep wearing the compression vest. It really does work in minimizing scaring.
I know mentally it's tough not knowing the final result and it's easy to panic. The way I dealt with it was that I gave myself milestones and I told myself I won't allow myself to think about it or to panic other than at those milestones when I will assesses how the healing is progressing. I gave myself 1 month, 3 months and 6 months milestones.
At 3 months you should have an idea which way things are heading. At 10 days it's completely impossible to tell. An area that looked like a bulge at 10 days in my case ended up being completely flat, an area that I was freaking out about being depressed filled in. It's weird how it works, but it does.

Offline js8577146

• Posting Member
Thank you.

I'll use your idea.

Ill post pictures at the 1 month, 3 month and 6 month mark.

Although no compression vest.

My doctor doesn't believe in them.

He said that from the 20-30 years he's been doing gyno it hasn't made a difference.

There are no external scars around the nipple. I've looked.

Where did they go in ? through the mouth :)

Actually even in the last 2 days it has gone down a little or the swelling around it has gone down and looks more rounder now.

So there's still a lot of changes happening.

I feel comfortable enough to wear a plain T-shirt (haven't done that since I was 14).

and no one on the street is looking at my chest :)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 09:04:52 AM by js8577146 »

Offline gyneco_1001

• Bronze Member
I would suggest you use a tensor bandage at the very least if you're not planning on wearing a compression vest... compression helps when it comes to fluid build-up so that you don't have fluid build-up anywhere on your chest... the consensus among doctors is that compression is also known to quicken the overall recovery from the surgery.

Offline js8577146

• Posting Member
I have no problem doing everything that's needed. I'll stand on my head 6 month if it helps.

But my doctor recommends against it.

He's probably done tens of thousands of them.

I'll talk to him again tomorrow when I do my last check up before going home.

I'll post pictures.

Offline gyneco_1001

• Bronze Member
Let me put this another way... EVERY top-notch gyno surgeon (the likes of Dr. Bermant, Dr. Delgado, Dr. Fielding, Dr. Lista, Dr. Pope, etc. etc.) that you'll ever talk to will make absolutely sure that you have on a compression vest immediately after your surgery... without discrediting your doctor... regardless of what he/she says... to ensure an optimal result you should definitely use some sort of compression.

This info is found right on Dr. Delgado's FAQ on this forum:

Do I need to wear a compression vest? What is it for? How long do I have to wear it?

It is necessary to wear a compression vest for about four to six weeks following the procedure. After the gland is excised and liposuction is performed, a large open space exists. The compression garment helps the tissue come together and close properly. The placement of the drains helps as well. Another function of the garment is to help reduce the initial swelling and contract the skin over the surgical site.

Offline js8577146

• Posting Member

Honestly I don't know.

Where do you even get one ?

He's as well known as any of these.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024