Author Topic: NHS Surgery  (Read 1635 times)

Offline Dreamchild

I have had gynecomastia with large puffy nipples since about the age of 15. I am now nearly 49. I spent hours upon hours in my twenties and early thirties in the gym trying to build my pecs up to alleviate the issue and get rid of any stubborn fat. No matter how hard I tried the puffy nipples remained along with a bit of fat. I learnt over time that the glandular tissue under my nipples was oestrogen sensitive and attracted fat. The only time I was ok with my shirt off was when my nipples were goose pimply because of cold air or when they were wet with cold water.

I learnt to accept that this was the way things were until I had testicular cancer in 2009, after surgery and chemo I found out that studies in Scandanavian countries had found a link between testicular cancer and testicular damage to hormone imbalances and gynecomsatia. Armed with this information I asked my Oncologist for a referral to an NHS breast surgeon. After a three month wait I had bilateral mastectomy yesterday (Thursday 16th January 2014) and all I can say is wow!

I had around 30g of glandular tissue removed from under each nipple, both nipples were removed for this procedure and put back in place afterwards. Drains fitted so that any liquid/plasma/blood would be taken away from the chest area and into two bags, one for each side of my chest. Fortunately there has been very little fluid build up and the drains were removed three hours after surgery. I am wearing a compression vest which the surgeon recommended and can be bought from holisticgarmentsdirect.co.uk

I feel fine, just a little sore and early signs are that I will get a good outcome. My areoli (area around nipples) are 50% smaller than they were and my chest looks completely flat when I take the compression vest off. I am up and dressed but will relax for the first 3 days, then go for walks and by day 7 I have been told I will be able to drive. Day 10 I have an appointment with my surgeon to check things over. I will wear the garment for at least 3 weeks and then by week 6 I will be able to exercise my chest and back areas in the gym without fear of damaging my recovery. I thoroughly recommend this surgery to anyone who is embarassed to remove their shirt in public because of gynecomastia. Life is to short ...

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024