Author Topic: funding  (Read 3292 times)

Offline Darrion

• xena... her's I like - mine ARE GONE!
Hello all,
Pleased to find this website, as I have been dealing with this bymyself for almost 30 years.  I am nearing the end of my rope and considering suregery.  like so may, moneyis my main concern.  i am an ontario resident just now, but willbe moving to nova scotia soon.  i read above that it is not covered in ontario, but wondered if anyone knows if it's covered in nova scotia.  i guess the concern then would be finding a doctor out there...  
Although I am sure that my wife knows how difficult the issue is for me, and is very discrete about it (she never lets her eyes wander,  and certainly never makes a comment), I am concerned about what her reaction will be if I decide to spend many thousands on something that we can't afford.  Since the subject has been taboo for us, I don't really know if she is aware how painfull it is for me to talk about, and how upsetting it would be to hav her make light of my concerns.  I guess i should have more faith in her, but still... can't help it.  I'm just looking at all those smileys up there, but  won't add any, since ther are about 3/4 of them that apply to how I feel!
Power Assisted Lipo Aug 6/02!

Offline have5kids

• Bronze Member
  • Have 5 kids
That's really sad. I'm not sure how ontario is about cover the cost of surgery in adults, but I got my sons (15) surgery covered by OHIP.  I simply sent them all the doctors report and a letter from a loving mother telling them how this was effecting my son's life and that I feared that being diffierent and teased about this may lead to mental anguish and although my son was not yet suicidal I let them know that thins could eventually become a concern.  I thought I was going to have to fight to get this covered, but those things, sent to my MPP, and then forwarded to the Ministry of helth was all it took.  Just before Christmas we recieved a callfrom a Dr. Langley saying thy would cover all expenses, which they did.  Two months ago my on underwent surgery, and he and I both feel it was one of the best decisions we have ever made.  Good luck, and I'm sure your wife will understand.
Michelle

Offline Darrion

• xena... her's I like - mine ARE GONE!
Thanks Michelle,
I am starting to compile a similar "case" for OHIP.  Other Ontario residents have managed by going directly to OHIP with their case, but you're the second person to mention going through their MPP.  I hadn't thought that this would be useful.  How exactly did you go about it?  Did you simply send everthing (docs reports etc...) to the MPP and trust them to do what was required?  Any specific details of the kinds of things that you wrote in letters etc... that wer successful would be greatly appreciated.
thanks again
esox

Offline toronto

• Silver Member
  • Gyne Free since April 27, 2005
I guess it's people like this that paved the way for getting it covered by OHIP..

thank you, wherever you may be now...

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024