Author Topic: Seeds eaten three times a day, risk of exacerbating gyno?  (Read 96 times)

Offline Dgc12

• Posting Member
I'm trying to ensure my diet is 100% optimise to minimise oestrogen and currently it looks like this,

Breakfast: gluten-free porridge with almond milk, a quarter of an avocado,,Chia seeds protein powder,, teaspoon of pumpkin seeds, Half a Kiwi

Lunch: chicken breast, sweet potatoes, Vegetables
With a small bowl of porridge, Made with almond milk including a teaspoon of pumpkin seeds and Half a banana

: Dinner:  Chicken breast, brown rice, vegetables,
Another small portion of owes with another teaspoon of pumpkin seeds and half an apple

Due to my MS, I am underweight for my height, hence the regular porridge to increase my calories
But as I will also be eating 3 teaspoons of pumpkin seeds a day, I am thinking about switching to sunflower seeds as I googled it and apparently pumpkin seeds contain oestrogen whereas I can't find anything about sunflower seeds including it

The half portions of fruits I eat has to reduce my sugar consumption as it is not good for my MS
-for the same reason, this is why my diet is 100% free of dairy/gluten/artificial sugar/soya/red meat

- I only drink 3 L of filtered water per day so no alcohol Caffein

So before I buy a big bulk batch of sunflower seeds, does anyone know whether based on my regular consumption of pumpkin seeds whether this would have an impact on my gonna Asa and whether you would advise

switching from pumpkin to sunflower?

By the way, I only eat organic food  now
I also take supplements, fish oil, magnesium, vitamin D3, K2 MK7, zinc 50 MG, Every day

Would you add/remove/change anything in my diet in order to prevent the gyno getting worse?

I don't take any medication that exacerbate the guy

« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 10:54:01 AM by Dgc12 »

Online Evolver

• Gold Member
This article lists which foods of which food groups are generally high in phytoestrogen, which may mimic the effects of estrogen if taken in high amounts. It includes almonds, but I looked up almond milk separately, and it is actually phytoestrogen free. 

This article lists the phytoestrogen levels of common fruit and vegetables, and this one does the same for beverages, nuts and seeds.

Good luck!

Offline Dgc12

• Posting Member
Thank you, evolver for these useful links,

And I feel a bit torn because I had chemotherapy eight years ago for for my MS (Not For Cancer) so this has elevated my chances of developing it later in life so want to do everything I can to avoid the risk and if having high oestrogen being some reduced risk of cancer then I'd rather have gyno then cancer

But how do we balance it, so that we have enough oestrogen to protect us from developing cancer yeah still not too much oestrogen so that the gyno doesn't worsen?

As the webpage lists pumpkin seeds as containing oestrogen is a shame it also doesn't list the content in sunflower seeds, as I hope this would be a good replacement
« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 02:18:50 PM by Dgc12 »

Online Evolver

• Gold Member
You're more than welcome.

I wouldn't get too hung up about minimizing your intake of foods that contain a higher amount of phytoestrogen. By having a healthy diet and lifestyle, you are doing all you can to maintain a proper hormone balance anyway. Fruit, nuts and seeds are good for us, period.

Think of it this way - you were probably already aware that soy products have the highest level of phytoestrogens compared to any other food source. I was too, but until I read those lists, I didn't know that it could be 10x that of the next highest, instant coffee, and 100x that of peanuts! My point is, the link between plant or animal-based phytoestrogens and actual estrogen which may lead to gynecomastia is in my opinion theoretical, anecdotal and tenuous. Some folks consume bulk amounts of soy or other products to actually promote breast growth, and they fail dismally. Even those undergoing transition who actively take estrogen as part of their hormone therapy regimen are not guaranteed of any significant breast growth, so what chance would pumpkin seeds have of making your breasts grow? Zero, I would bet. Disclaimer: I am not an endocrinologist and I'm happy to stand corrected.

Offline Dgc12

• Posting Member
Thanks, I take on board what you said and it does make a lot of sense to think that way

I just find this list very suspicious as they don't seem to add up with the general consensus of oestrogen content

Red wine: 76
Beer: 68

Pumpkin seeds: 539
Sunflower seeds: 111

And it doesn't specify the quantity, So How can we know if they are using like for like or more or less of the same as the food / liquid?

I eat 30g of seeds per day but how can I compare this to an unknown amount of alcohol?

So according to these figures I'll be better off having red wine and beer every day versus any type of seeds 

it feels as though someone is just taking wild guesses at Creating these figures

I'm just trying to do the best I can to reduce the chances of the gyno worsening

Offline Moobzie

• Silver Member
Alcohol is an anti-androgen, and inordinate consumption is a major cause of ED, so ... drinking will DEFINITELY NOT stop (nor even slow down) gynecomastia.  As the old country / western tune lyrics went:
"Dohn come home a drinkin with luvin ahn yer mind"

Online Evolver

• Gold Member
Alcohol is an anti-androgen, and inordinate consumption is a major cause of ED, 
Also known as Brewer's Droop. 😉

Online Evolver

• Gold Member

it feels as though someone is just taking wild guesses at Creating these figures

I'm just trying to do the best I can to reduce the chances of the gyno worsening
There's more to the figures than meets the eye. Did you notice Brazil nuts at 887? I looked into what other things they contain elsewhere, and also learnt that not only are they high in phytoestrogen, but also testosterone and they are also high in zinc, which inhibits the aromatization process of converting excess testosterone into estrogen! So, despite their high phytoestrogen content, they are probably more likely to put hair on your chest instead of breasts, lol

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024