Author Topic: Scar Tissue build-up after 10 weeks of amazing results  (Read 50936 times)

Offline pDiddy2

• Posting Member
Hey guys,

This is my first time posting on this site.  Like so many others I have virtually lived on this site for a few years now. I had a mild case of gynecomastia since I was 13...just puffy nipples with some additional gland extending towards the outside of my pectoral muscle.  When nipples were erect, everything looked great, otherwise they both nipples appeared 'cone-shaped'.  

On May 14, 2012 I had gynecomastia surgery from Doctor Baxt in NJ (14 weeks ago). Also, I live out of state. Since my case of gyno pretty centralized beneath my nips, I figured his special microexision cannula was the safest bet. Plus, I loved the idea of no external scars.

Recovery
The recovery was extremely easy.  No bruising and very, very little swelling. Just a little sore for a few weeks. Oh and one of the incisions by my armpit took 3 weeks to finally heal...its red and noticeable if I have my arm up in the air, but the other one almost invisible.

Weeks 1 through 9
AMAZING!! Flat as a board, with a muscular looking chest.  I could not have been happier.  I was at the beach a lot, had my shirt off every chance I got, received a few compliments from women telling me how great my chest looked (they didn't know I had surgery)

Weeks 10 through 14
Feel like sh*t. Both of my nipples have hard tissue underneath them.  My nipples are puffier than they were before surgery and they look very cone-like. I've been pretty depressed and have avoided many situations where I had to remove my shirt.  What a terrible feeling. The first 9 weeks were the happiest and most confident I've ever been. I thought gynecomastia was finally over with and I can start living my life.  I even bought a few tighter fitting shirts..of course I wouldn't where them now.

I contacted my doctor via email and phone.  He said that this was not uncommon at all and that maximum scar build up typically occurs during this time. His advice was to continue massaging the area and contact him again in 6 months..when the tissue and swelling settle down.

Me being so incredibly shocked of how my body suddenly changed, I called him and asked him if there was anything else I could do such as get a Kenalog or Cortisone injection.  He said that if it was really bothering me that I should seek out another surgeon or cosmetic professional who has experience administering Cortisone injections and ask them to perform one on me(since i live far away).

After reading a several posts about successful results on scar tissue after steroid injections, I contacted a well known PS in Chicago.  He has much experience (performs close to 200 gyno surgeries per year) and a couple popular doctors on this site have spoken very highly of him.

I had to pay $125 to see him (no big deal), I told him my situation and showed him my chest. He looked at it for a few seconds, then felt my chest for a another couple seconds and said...drumroll please..."you still have gland there and need a revision surgery".  ???  He said scar tissue doesn't just show up over a weeks amount of time. he also said that the first 9 weeks of good results could have been more or less an illusion due to some residual swelling. Weird though, b/c I remember my chest looking very, very good with no swelling.
He even said he would operate on my in the next few weeks. He seems to know what he's talking about and I did get a great vibe from him, but after reading 100's of posts, most all doctors recommend waiting at least 6 months to a year before doing a revision.  

Note: I do remember Dr. Baxt saying that he did leave a little bit of gland in there.

I also recall doing some light massaging in the shower during the first 9 week period.  I remember feeling a little something behind each nipple, but it never looked like this.

Scar Tissue
Dr. Baxt is convinced it's scar tissue and that it will go away in time. So here's my plan.  I made an appointment to go see him on September 24 (4 months and 1 week since surgery).  He's going to give me a shot of Cortisone to reduce the scar tissue...if that's even what it is.

I'll report back on how that goes. Until then, I'll keep massaging, exercising, and eating healthy (I read that lots of raw foods can actually help break-up scar tissue).

« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 05:38:23 PM by pDiddy2 »

Offline pDiddy2

• Posting Member
I'm starting to think this is left over gland and not scar tissue.... When I flex my chest muscles, the lumps behind my areolas feels very similar to the gland tissue i used to have prior to the surgery. It moves just like it.

I spoke with the doctor in Chicago, and he said that if it's not scar tissue (and that it is gland), one shot of Cortisone shouldn't hurt anything.

Side Note* Worrying about post operation healing/results is such a waste of energy.  And its super stressful. Yesterday I wrote a list of options down with a date attached to each one.  It was really helpful and made me feel a lot better! For anyone reading this post, I highly recommend you do the same.  I'm starting to realize that gynecomastia shouldn't be running my life. I'm going to beat this.  If it means giving myself more time to heal or getting a revision, I know it'll happen.

Here's my new plan:
Option 1
Visit my original doctor in a month (4.5 months post-op). If he thinks it's scar tissue and wants to inject it with Cortisone, I'll do that.
If it doesn't get better by (7 months post-op), I'll have a revision.

Option 2
Same as above, but wait (15 months post-op...this will allow me to have a second procedure performed at the end of summer) and give me a lot of time to heal. If by then it doesn't get any better, I'll have a revision.

Offline xelnaga13

Both are great options. I had 4 kenalog shots per side, with outstanding results. My scar tissue formed very similar to the way you describe yours. That is to say that there was a striking similarity between my original glands and the scar tissue.

Offline cduub

• Silver Member
Xelnaga13 did it eventually go down because I just had kenelog shots 1 week ago on both side. If so how long and did it get flat after your first injections or did you have to go 1 month later for a second injection.

Offline pDiddy2

• Posting Member
Thanks for your reply guys! xelnaga13, that's great to hear that those Kenelog shots made a difference.
Xelnaga13, how long after your surgery did you notice the build up of scar tissue??

I'm curious to know the answer to cduub's question as well.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 04:03:39 PM by pDiddy2 »

Offline xelnaga13

Scar tissue is dense, so the kenalog injection's effect is VERY localized. Basically its like chipping away one section at a time, rather than injecting the whole mass and having it shrink.  I noticed results a week after my first set of injections. It took 4 more visits for me to be completely satisfied.

Offline pDiddy2

• Posting Member
Its been about a month since I first posted. I still look the same BUT, the hard tissue on both sides does feel a tiny, tiny bit smaller. I'm not sure if this is all in my head or if actually experiencing some mild progress. I gained about 10-12 lbs since the photo, so it might be affecting my results.   I've been massaging just about every day which kind of hurts, but I'm sticking w/ it. I see my doc in a couple days so I'm anxious to see what he has to say. I bet it'll be the typical "this is perfectly normal...just give it more time" response. Which is totally fine, after all docs can only do so much. And from what I read, it can take a while for scar tissue to go away...which I'm hoping it
 is.   Ill keep u guys posted after my visit and report back what he says.  Plus ill definitely try getting my weight back down.

Offline pDiddy2

• Posting Member
I had a Cortisone (could have been Kenalog) injection the other day. There was very little pain when he administered them. It took all of 3 or 4 minutes, if that. He said he wanted to use a smaller dose than usual, since it was only 4 months post op.

Maybe it was the massaging, time, or fast- acting injections, but the hard tissue feels smaller than it did a month ago. My nipples are still puffy; pretty much the same as a month ago...just a little softer.  It almost feels like there's fluid or fat inside. It might just be the Cortisone or maybe healing tissue. 

Dr. Baxt was extremely nice and understanding of my situation. He said he usually does about 12 shots a year for patients w/ scar tissue and has to perform a revision once a year. We both agreed that my chest was really flat after surgery, so we are both pretty confident this is scar tissue. 

His final set of instructions were to leave my chest alone, don't massage it or even think about it for a month. Then after one month, give him a call. He also mentioned that his technique for the surgery does require more healing time than others.

I'll keep you guys posted if anything should change sooner, and will definitely post back in one month.

Offline pDiddy2

• Posting Member
Its been 4 months and 3 weeks since the surgery and 8 days since my first Cortisone injection.  The scare tissue feels like it has reduced in size by 30 - 40 percent! This is making me very happy for a change  ;D The scare tissue is also much softer than before. When not stimulated, my nips are still puffy, but not as bad as last month. The left side looks flatter than the right, but the right has reduced in size as well. 

Ya know the feeling after you get out of the shower and you areolas are hard, well I just got out of the shower and looked in the mirror and noticed that my nips looked smaller than they've ever been.  I also noticed that my nips are not poking through my T-shirts as much as they've been over the past couple months.  If this progress continues, (fingers crossed) I just might be okay!

I also went to the gym for the first time in a month.  I can tell that my chest is not as swollen as before and the sensation is coming back (my left side used to be pretty numb).  I'll keep eating healthy and working out. 

Don't get me wrong here, my chest looked perfect for the first 10 weeks, and I'm not back to where I was...BUT if feels like I'm getting closer.

The Cortisone is supposed to continue working for up to 5 weeks

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Keep the faith.  Dr Baxt is a good and reputable surgeon.  Sometimes you may need an additional cortisone injection -- slower is better.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline pDiddy2

• Posting Member
Thank you Dr. Jacobs. I know I'm speaking for a lot of guys on here when I say we are all extremely appreciative of the time you spend on this site! Your insight, candor, and positivity gives many of us the hope we need, especially when times are tough.

Quick Update

It's bee 2 weeks since the cortisone injection. The scar tissue on my left side has reduced in size by about 70% ;D Right side has reduced by roughly 55% to 65%.  All I can feel on the left side is a small sliver of soft tissue. When not stimulated, the left areola barely puffs out. Honestly, I can live with how it looks right now.  The right is getting better, but at a slower pace; it still puffs out which can be seen through a shirt, but not as bad as before.

The contour of the sides of my pecs is looking better and better.  I also lost some weight due to bettering my diet and light exercise and I think that has helped.  I looked in the mirror yesterday and began seeing signs that my old, 1 month post op, chest is making a come back!

Overall, the scar tissue has dramatically reduced in size and has become much softer.  That cortisone shot really worked wonders.  It's kind of scary to think that another top surgeon wanted to cut me open after only 4 months when all I needed was a cortisone injection and a little more time 8).
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 12:37:49 PM by pDiddy2 »

Offline pDiddy2

• Posting Member
It's been just under 1 month since the cortisone injections and I have without a doubt seen improvement.  I can still pinch a small amount of scar tissue on both sides, but overall I'd say it has reduced by about 80% on each side  :D. When relaxed, the nipples barely puff out. There feels like a tiny amount of loose skin, but I honestly feel like diet and exercise will take care of it.  I noticed my right side, when flexed, appears to have some very mild cratering. The areola seems to sink in ever so slightly. I hope it doesnt get worse. It might be from the cortisone, really not sure tho. It doesn't really bother me, but if it gets any worse than it is now, I'll bring it up to my doctor. FYI I'd much rather have some mild cratering than hard, puffy nipples! It's so true when doctors say not to expect 100% improvement, and that 90 to 95 percent should be interpreted as a successful operation.

I'm currently 5 months post op at this point. In addition to the scar tissue drastically reducing in size, it has become much softer as well. T-shirts look much better on me and my confidence has gone back up. quite a bit.  All I want at this point are no addition surprises. I just want everything to stabilize so I can put all this behind me.  Btw the small incision marks by my armpits are fading really well. The one on the right is not noticeable and the left side is fading. I actually forgot they we even there.

If my chest stays about the same for the next 3 months, I'll consider this surgery a success. I don't want to jinx it by praising Dr. Baxts' name just yet, even tho it has been great so far. Dr. Baxt and his staff have taken good care of me, and at this point ( 5 months post op) I would recommend him to anyone with a similar condition as I had.

Finally, I haven't massaged my chest since the injection. The cortisone does all the work anyway. My Nipples are not in pain nor are they sore or sensitive. In my case, I'm really not certain if all that massaging did anything to improve my condition. Just my two cents on that topic. 

Offline pDiddy2

• Posting Member
It has been a week since I last posted and wanted to give you guys an update on the scar tissue. It has been 1 month and 4 days since the Cortisone injections. I have noticed some additional improvement over the past week. I would say the scar tissue, on both sides has decreased by about 85%.  I've lost some weight as well and my chest is looking better as a result.

The rate at which scar tissue is diminishing has slowed down quite a bit. This is good because I'm not 100% sure if I even have any left. I might just be feeling the little bit of gland that the dr left in.  At any rate, I'm looking good and feeling great. I suppose the real test will be next summer when I have to take my shirt off at a pool or beach. I'm confident that I'll look great tho.

Please note, i don't have nearly as much muscle mass as I did prior to surgery. Before surgery, my motivation for lifting weights was to mask the flaws of my chest. I have been feeling differently on that subject the past month. I'm more interested in getting super lean and cut rather than big and bulky.

To that, my plan is to get back into fitness with a new plan, strategy, and philosophy about lifting weights and training in general.

I'll keep you guys posted on my progress (of how my chest looks that is). And If anyone has any questions regarding gynecomasia, the surgery, healing, travel, scar tissue, etc. I'd be more than happy to share my experience even further.

Offline rattrapbagpack

• Posting Member
Did you have only one round of cortisone shots? Why did you choose cortisone over Kenalog?

The results are amazing, I'm hoping for the same!

Offline pDiddy2

• Posting Member
I'm not sure if it was Kenalog or Cortisone, but I'll find out and post back. I only had one round of injections. In retro spec, I'm wondering if I should have waiting a couple more months prior to getting them. The mild  cratering on the right side looks kinda strange when I flex. Not a huge deal, but a part of me feels it might be due to the injection.  As mentioned before, if it doesn't get any worse, I'll still be very happy with the outcome.

On the plus side, I wore the thinnest polo short I own today at work and never felt prouder. My chest looked muscular and fit with zero signs of puffy nipples poking through  :D.

Also, my doctor said he used a reduced amount of Cortisone.  One thing I'll say for sure is that (in my case) this injections worked extremely fast. And it was the most dramatic reduction in size since the actual surgery.

side note: the healing process for this surgery is a combination of ups and downs. It'll be 6 months in less than a week since the operation, I'm really hoping for no more changes.

Has anyone noticed changes to their chest after 6 months? Doctors, is this a safe time to judge the final result or is it a full year after surgery?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024