Author Topic: 48 Hours Post Op  (Read 3122 times)

Offline ben4219

Hi,

I'm 16 and managed to get my op on the NHS in the UK. My body fat is quite low, 5ft 10"  65kg.

There was not a huge amount of glandular tissue however they were puffy, enough for me to be very self conscious and for others to comment.

I had surgery on Thursday 17th December - as of yet there has been very little pain. I have stopped taking any pain killers as I don't feel the need to. I asked after surgery if I should have a compression vest, they said that I should be happy with the results and as only a small amount of tissue has been removed there shouldn't be any need.

I have been told that i could remove the large outer sticky plasters today. I have done this and found that they are very swollen, with an array of steri-strips at the extraction site.

How long should it take for the swelling to go down, should I be looking at obtaining a compression vest and will I be OK to take a shower. I feel that the strips will unstick if I take a shower.

Thanks.

Offline decimal

• Silver Member
I am surprised you are not wearing a compression vest already. I think they are a MUST for the first 2 weeks after surgery atleast. From whatever I have experience myself in the last two weeks, I believe a compression vest does wonders for the swelling.

Offline wantridofgyno17

• Silver Member
I think you should definitely get one. I've got my NHS op on Tuesday and I believe they're providing one, however I've bought my own anyway so i've atleast got 1 and otherwise I'll have 2 to rotate!

Could you get some before/after pics up?

Offline ben4219

I will get some pics up later on.

For the time being I have added compression by placing bandage wadding under some elastoplast - it is fairly tight now and feels better.
I will give the surgeons office a call to see if they would be able to provide me with one - if not where did you get yours from?

In another 24 hours I shall take a look to see if there has been an improvement.

Offline wantridofgyno17

• Silver Member
I got mine from a company called "Firm 51" on eBay. It's a vest made by underworks, they're a popuar choice.

Offline ben4219

UPDATE 8Days.

I have been using a tight back support and it seems to have done the job for the first week.

Since I have stopped wearing the support the swelling has returned with slight pain.

The scar tissue that has built is beginning to worry me as it is fairly thick and raising the lower area.

These are pics from the 8th day...
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/165/img0352qn.jpg
http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/2276/img0349s.jpg
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/2550/img0353lp.jpg

Offline decimal

• Silver Member
The swelling WILL return very easily, ben. That is why it is VERY important to wear a compression garment. Not only does it help the skin to contract, but by creating a higher pressure on the injured tissues, prevents blood/fluids from flowing into operated area, thereby alleviating swelling.

Do wear a compression vest for almost 24/7 for the first 2 - 3 weeks atleast.

I am around 20 days post op, and even i start to see a bit of swelling if i take off my compression vest for two long. As time progresses, the intensity of the swelling will gradually subside to nothing when you take of ur compression vest.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024