Author Topic: 2nd Opinion?  (Read 3584 times)

Offline Emmitsm03

• Bronze Member
So the nurse of the Endocrinologist called me back today for my blood and "mammogram" results. She says the Doc said to lose weight, cut back on my drinking, and stop Marijuana use. Well yes i think i do have somewhat of a drinking problem, but honestly i think it is due to G!.. this is something that i have had since i can remember, and it is truely ruining my life. I do smoke pot, but not very much.. maybe 2 or 3 times a week. Should i call him and ask him to maybe write a letter of recommendation or something to my insurance company just to see if they will cover the Operation? Its just time for me to do something about this problem. Im so sick of it.

DeeDubStyle619

I think you should set up a free consultation with a plastic surgeon. From my experiences, weed does nothing for my gyne. I got gyne from puberty at 13, I started smoking years later. If you want the operation to be covered, it cant be for cosmetic purposes, therefore you would have to say your gyne is interfering with daily activity and is causing pain.

Offline Emmitsm03

• Bronze Member
I didnt think it did either.. I just dont understand why he said that.. I mean when i went in to talk to him, i told him it hurts, causes real bad anxiety, and i just cant deal with them anymore, and for him to say "lose weight, and quit drinkn. I personally think that is some BS. But ya im gunna call a PS tomorrow and schedule a appt. thanks

Offline Dr. Cruise

• Supporting Doctors
  • Gold Member
  • Dr. Cruise
    • http://lagynecomastia.org/
Even with the best insurance policies, it is difficult to have gynecomastia covered.  Rare exceptions include gynecomastia created by hormonal treatments for cancer and well defined and documented hormonal problems.  You may have to consider coming out of pocket to address the issue.
Dr. Cruise
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
2081 San Joaquin Hills Road
Newport Beach, CA 92660
949-644-4808
Before and After Pictures
Types of Gynecomastia

Offline Emmitsm03

• Bronze Member
really appreciate the replies.. I have BCBS of MN. I looked up the policy on gynecomastia  surgery.  If you would be so kind and take a look at this link, i see nothing that would make it difficult to be covered thru these guys??

http://notes.bluecrossmn.com/web/medpolman.nsf/8178b1c14b1e9b6b8525624f0062fe9f/d768aa5dffb67e29862567fb00833467/$FILE/Gynecomastia.pdf

Offline Emmitsm03

• Bronze Member
So is Mastectomy for the removal of the actual G, and the lipo for fat?

DeeDubStyle619

I think a Mastectomy is when they remove the ENTIRE breast itself. When removing the gland, the term "glandular excision" is usually made. Where they make a small incision under the areola line. Hope it helps.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
The only problem with going through an insurance company (if you are fortunate enough to qualify) is that you do not get to choose the surgeon... they do! What if the surgeon has only done female breast reductions. Quite a different technique I would think... Or, what if the surgeon has very little experience with Gynecomastic Reduction Surgery?  You would, in essence, be his/her guinea pig...  :o :o :o

If someone else pays for the procedure, they are in control, not you...   Food for thought!   ;)

GB...
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Grandpa Bambu

I think a Mastectomy is when they remove the ENTIRE breast itself. When removing the gland, the term "glandular excision" is usually made. Where they make a small incision under the areola line. Hope it helps.

Mastectomy is defined as: full, or partial removal of the breast and is not gender specific...

Google: Mastectomy Gynecomastia

What you should ensure, is the particular 'technique' used for procedure... You don't want to end up with two massive horizontal scars on your chest... as I have seen in the past...  :o :o :o

GB...

Offline Whiff

• Bronze Member
Emmit you can get this sorted mate in fact you look very much like I did (see picture). Yes you could loose weight but it'd only make them more prominent I was 3 stone lighter than in this picture and they were still really bad  I couldnt take my shirt off then. Not sure about the term mastectomy that in my mind is removing the lot. That would worry me you want a normal (as far as is poss) looking chest. Anway I've attached a before and after at (4 weeks) I was v pleased with the result I'm sure you'll agree we look similar before.

Offline Emmitsm03

• Bronze Member
The only problem with going through an insurance company (if you are fortunate enough to qualify) is that you do not get to choose the surgeon... they do! What if the surgeon has only done female breast reductions. Quite a different technique I would think... Or, what if the surgeon has very little experience with Gynecomastic Reduction Surgery?  You would, in essence, be his/her guinea pig...  :o :o :o

If someone else pays for the procedure, they are in control, not you...   Food for thought!   ;)

GB...

I totally understand, but im to the point where i really dont care, im so sick of having these dang things.

Offline Emmitsm03

• Bronze Member
Emmit you can get this sorted mate in fact you look very much like I did (see picture). Yes you could loose weight but it'd only make them more prominent I was 3 stone lighter than in this picture and they were still really bad  I couldnt take my shirt off then. Not sure about the term mastectomy that in my mind is removing the lot. That would worry me you want a normal (as far as is poss) looking chest. Anway I've attached a before and after at (4 weeks) I was v pleased with the result I'm sure you'll agree we look similar before.

Congrats man! Great results.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I think you should not throw out completely what the Endo has said.

While there is some disagreement on the extent of cause concerning Marijuana, Animal studies have shown that marijuana can and often does raise the estrogen level in a male. The chance of a user having gynecomastia is greater than the chance of a non-user having it.

Alcohol is a double whammy. We all have a certain amount of Estrogen, which is taken care of by the liver. Since alcohol is toxic to the liver, frequent use of toxic levels of alcohol could render your liver unable to get rid of the surplus Estrogen. The second whammy in that alcohol is also toxic to the testes. I don't think a glass of wine with dinner would be a problem, but drinking to the point of intoxication could be bad news. Because of the time it takes for the liver to recover normal function, a binge drinker could be in pretty much the same boat as a regular drinker.

Weight loss, it could be valid advise as well or it could be a copout. Weight loss will cause a slight decrease in breast size but it seldom reduces the breast size to a significant degree. Be realistic, you should know if you are overweight.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Grandpa Bambu

The only problem with going through an insurance company (if you are fortunate enough to qualify) is that you do not get to choose the surgeon... they do! What if the surgeon has only done female breast reductions. Quite a different technique I would think... Or, what if the surgeon has very little experience with Gynecomastic Reduction Surgery?  You would, in essence, be his/her guinea pig...  :o :o :o

If someone else pays for the procedure, they are in control, not you...   Food for thought!   ;)

GB...

I totally understand, but im to the point where i really dont care, im so sick of having these dang things.

That's cool... as long as you know what you are getting yourself into...  ;)

GB...

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024