Author Topic: 8 Months Post-Op Scar Tissue Concerns - Docs and Simarlar Cases welcome  (Read 3228 times)

Offline jlg2003

• Posting Member
I had my Surgery back in March of 2011. Everything went great, but my last visit to my surgeon left me worried. He told me to be happy with my result and that my scar tissue on my left side probably won't subside. That made me pretty upset because I was under the impression that scar tissue eventually goes away.

Background: I had a very minor case and only had two small incision underneath the nipple. More gland was taken from the left side than the right, and there lies the concerns/problem. My right side looks better than I could have imagined, but my left has developed quiet a lot of scar tissue causing my left side to look puffy again almost comparable to pre-op. The uneveness is driving me insane. I continue to massage and while I feel it becoming less solid and more movable. Just not a noticeable decease in size.

Can anyone have a light to shed on this scar tissue issue? Keep in mind I'm around 8 months out.

Also, my doctor noticed that I wasn't pleased with his analysis and offered a solution. He said he was willing to do a small prodecure, free of charge, where he would numb my left side using local anesthesia. He said he would then take a needle and make small punctures into the scar tissue in the hopes it will break-up some of the scar tissue.

In my research I haven't heard of such a procedure. I asked if he happen to use Kenalog shots but he said he didn't. Has anyone heard or had this procedure done? Or has anyone done Kenalog shots and what was your result.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
If indeed your problem is scar tissue directly under the nipple, no further spontaneous improvement can be anticipated at eight months after surgery.  In patients similar to you, I usually employ injections of kenalog (a type of cortisone).  I have never heard of the procedure that your doctor mentioned -- are you sure you heard him correctly?  As you described it, I doubt if any improvement would be obtained.

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline jlg2003

• Posting Member
Thank you for your reply Dr. Jacobs, and yes I am sure I heard him correctly. He said that he would use a needle to try and help break up that scar tissue.

I am very disappointed my Doc doesn't use Kenalog injections. I was soooo pleased about my result right after surgery. Now, my chest is uneven. My right side looks great but my left looks puffy. I don't know what to do. I guess I will continue to massage until I find another option.

Where could I get Kenalog injections if my doctor doesn't offer them?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
My best suggest would be to contact the American Society of Plastic Surgeons for a referral to a surgeon in your area.  The number is:  888 4 PLASTIC

Alternatively, refer to w w w.plasticsurgery.org  (remove the spaces between the w's)

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024