Author Topic: OHIP coverage...?  (Read 2536 times)

Offline scrudge

Just getn starded.  My fam thinks OHIP wone cover... :(
Anybody covered by OHIP have this done?  Its alot $$ for us.
tnx for your help   :-[

Offline Achilles

• Silver Member
Scrudge, where are you from exactly?  I think it's rare to get it covered by OHIP as they see it as a cosmetic issue and not a health problem.  There's some doctors that have good rates though.  A lot of people on here speak VERY HIGHLY of Dr. Fielding and the most he's charged I believe is 1600 or so.  He also has a student fee for 1070 gst included.  I have an appointment with him on Monday (he's in toronto, i'm going from ottawa) so I'll let everyone know how it went.... give us more info on your situation and you'll get more detailed responses.

Offline Creek

• Posting Member
Depends on what treatment and where you're getting it. I'm getting the surgery done by Fielding- the main excision of the breast gland and all hospital fees are being taken care of by OHIP, but the liposuction of the fat around the gland (a procedure I don't even want to do, but apparently it's necessary because this isn't the type of fat you can loose on your own) is costing me $1070 + tax. Now if I were to do this with another plastic surgeon at a private clinic, I'd be paying a few thousand more; thankfully I'm not.
There's also drug treatments through endocrinologists (sp). Frankly I don't know jack about this stuff, but it seems to work for some people- especially teenagers that are still growing and usually have a hormone imbalance. If your family already knows about your condition, you should get them to take you to your family doctor. Then you can get some more info and probably a referral.
Good luck.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024