Author Topic: Finding a suitable bra & supportwear  (Read 3970 times)

Offline hawkdaboo3

• Posting Member
So I just joined the forum after discovering I got the man boobs. 
My breasts are EXTREMELY tender (especially left side). I really need some bras and garment to support my breast though they are pretty small
I measured my "underbust" and it is about 39" and my breast is about 41.75" which is like an A cup i think. 
How in the world are you even supposed to measure your boobs? my goodness- never ever thought I would have to ask this kind of question.
I really feel the pull & bounce as I exercise, run, jump or do burpees etc. It hurts and my nips get chafed. 

Finally found a sport bra by Livid at Lane Bryant that offers me SOME support and compression. I ideally would like something more support. 
The sport bra I got is just a pull on racerback style 

I also tried the Esteem compression garment and absolutely hated it as it digs into my armpits. The seams also feel very rough.
I am considering getting some kind of chest binder. But those do not look very comfortable to wear for long periods- kinda even dangerous.
Have anyone tried like Ace bandages? 

Also how in the world do you put on & take off bras with clasps? or these pull on sports bras? It feels like I am gonna tear it by accident

bikerbob

Welcome.  You are where I was about 5 years ago.  Holy crap, I have boobs, what do I do now?

90% of the guys on this forum wear underwire bras.  You may find that that is what you prefer, but you do not need to run out and get a bra fitting first thing.  You can ease into this with a pullover type leisure or low impact sport bra.  They are sized according to chest measurement and they are easy to conceal under a shirt.  By all means, try underwires, but you don't have to jump right into the deep end.  Rhonda Shear and Hanes make good pullovers, among others.  Build up your confidence and work your way up to big girl bras.

You do not need to learn to hook your bra in the back.  I am 74 and have had 2 wives and several serious girlfriends.  I honestly can't recall a single one who hooked her bra in the back.  Hook it in the front and spin it around and slip your arms into it.  Until you get the hang of it, removal is the reverse of installation. 

The first trip to Home Depot wearing a bra is terrifying but eventually you realize nobody knows you are wearing it.  I wear a bra every day and don't even think about it.  If you are more comfortable with a bra than without one, you need to wear it.  It isn't a big deal once you get used to it.

Offline brock123

• Silver Member
Well, you seem to be in the "sports bra" zone to me. To that end, you're also likely going to need trial-and-error if this is the way you want to go.  Based on your post, I don't think you are anywhere near the "legit bra" zone; you're probably just in need of some compression to attain the comfort you seek.

In my experience, many/most (OK, all) female sports bras will also dig in under the arms when worn by a man, this might be something you need to get used to for a while if this is your path forward.  The garments are designed for women, who tend to have a notably smaller underbust (32"-38" as opposed to our 38"-44"?) and a notably larger actual bust than we will.  It's pretty easy to visualize the conundrum; the garment would "boomf" out much more for a woman and stretch away from her armpits, but it's also designed to conceal the side breasts of a woman, so the manufacturers can only make those armpit holes so big.  Put that same sports bra on a man, understanding that we need to use the bigger sizes to accommodate our larger underbust, and it just doesn't work the same way. At this point of your journey, you simply do not have enough physical tissue to push that garment forward and pull it out of your armpit.

Unless you opt into surgery and are being monitored by a physician, I think you should avoid ACE bandages or a surgical-grade compression vest (binders).  Both of these options can cause you more physical harm than good.  To that end, have you consulted with your PCP?

Can't speak to dealing with clasps, but dealing with taking on/off a sports bra (racerback or not) seems pretty straightforward to me; pull it off the opposite of the way you put it on?  I imagine that clasps are best handled by rookies like us by moving said clasps around our body to be on our chests and just ... unclasping them? Have never had any problems removing a racerback sports bra myself; just undo what you did.

If you are looking for a sports bra suggestion, I found my best "solution" with Oalka Sports Bras, which seem to be only available from Amazon.

To me, your best option is to go back to the retailer, vocalizing your complaints, and seeing what they can do for you.

aboywithgirls

Hawk,

Measuring yourself is a great starting point. Based on what you got. I think that a 40B would be a good size to start with. There are quite a few minimizer underwire bras that you may even enter the C cup range. The minimizer underwire bras tend to have broader underwires so they can spread out the breast tissue rather than project it.

🤗Sophie🥰

Offline SideSet

Welcome. 

You have already made the biggest and hardest step.  Admitting you need to start wearing a bra and doing that.  It is probably hard for you to imagine, but before too long putting on your bra when you get dressed will become second nature, as automatic and routine as putting on your socks. 

Offline hawkdaboo3

• Posting Member
Welcome.  You are where I was about 5 years ago.  Holy crap, I have boobs, what do I do now?

90% of the guys on this forum wear underwire bras.  You may find that that is what you prefer, but you do not need to run out and get a bra fitting first thing.  You can ease into this with a pullover type leisure or low impact sport bra.  They are sized according to chest measurement and they are easy to conceal under a shirt.  By all means, try underwires, but you don't have to jump right into the deep end.  Rhonda Shear and Hanes make good pullovers, among others.  Build up your confidence and work your way up to big girl bras.

You do not need to learn to hook your bra in the back.  I am 74 and have had 2 wives and several serious girlfriends.  I honestly can't recall a single one who hooked her bra in the back.  Hook it in the front and spin it around and slip your arms into it.  Until you get the hang of it, removal is the reverse of installation. 

The first trip to Home Depot wearing a bra is terrifying but eventually you realize nobody knows you are wearing it.  I wear a bra every day and don't even think about it.  If you are more comfortable with a bra than without one, you need to wear it.  It isn't a big deal once you get used to it.

thanks felix. i really do not want my boobs to grow anymore. lol. And I am just trying to find a compression bra I think... have no idea what all the various bra types are- i thought they were just the silk, frill & lace undergarments you see showcased on the display of Victoria Secret or Macys at the mall. I have so much trouble getting the sports bra off. 
It is much more comfortable having the support but I am starting to notice a ton of small annoyances- like how the band kinda dig into my shoulder and I have to adjust it every half hour. The racerback look kinda "sexy" but I have to keep pulling them down and adjusting the straps 

I really do not want my boob to grow cause like I can more or less get away with just wearing my normal trunks when swimming. I don't know what I would do if I had pair of C sized boobs - would i then have to get some bikinis or women swim wear? I would feel even more emasculated than I am now

Offline hawkdaboo3

• Posting Member
Well, you seem to be in the "sports bra" zone to me. To that end, you're also likely going to need trial-and-error if this is the way you want to go.  Based on your post, I don't think you are anywhere near the "legit bra" zone; you're probably just in need of some compression to attain the comfort you seek.

In my experience, many/most (OK, all) female sports bras will also dig in under the arms when worn by a man, this might be something you need to get used to for a while if this is your path forward.  The garments are designed for women, who tend to have a notably smaller underbust (32"-38" as opposed to our 38"-44"?) and a notably larger actual bust than we will.  It's pretty easy to visualize the conundrum; the garment would "boomf" out much more for a woman and stretch away from her armpits, but it's also designed to conceal the side breasts of a woman, so the manufacturers can only make those armpit holes so big.  Put that same sports bra on a man, understanding that we need to use the bigger sizes to accommodate our larger underbust, and it just doesn't work the same way. At this point of your journey, you simply do not have enough physical tissue to push that garment forward and pull it out of your armpit.

Unless you opt into surgery and are being monitored by a physician, I think you should avoid ACE bandages or a surgical-grade compression vest (binders).  Both of these options can cause you more physical harm than good.  To that end, have you consulted with your PCP?

Can't speak to dealing with clasps, but dealing with taking on/off a sports bra (racerback or not) seems pretty straightforward to me; pull it off the opposite of the way you put it on?  I imagine that clasps are best handled by rookies like us by moving said clasps around our body to be on our chests and just ... unclasping them? Have never had any problems removing a racerback sports bra myself; just undo what you did.

If you are looking for a sports bra suggestion, I found my best "solution" with Oalka Sports Bras, which seem to be only available from Amazon.

To me, your best option is to go back to the retailer, vocalizing your complaints, and seeing what they can do for you.

yeah i noticed the sports bra do dig into my armpits some- nowhere near as much as the Esteem compression shirt does. but it is an annoyance. I will take a look at Oalka and stuff. I will check out Soma sometime and see if one of the ladies there can help give me better measurement and fitting. I have seen my PCP who ordered the mammogram & ultrasound and stuff. I have another appointment with my PCP tomorrow and hopefully I can get a referral to an endocrinologist or something. My boobs are extremely tender and it is annoying - is there any medicine or creams for that? 
In terms of taking off the racerback sports bras its like i have to contort myself to get it off or something.

Offline hawkdaboo3

• Posting Member
Hawk,

Measuring yourself is a great starting point. Based on what you got. I think that a 40B would be a good size to start with. There are quite a few minimizer underwire bras that you may even enter the C cup range. The minimizer underwire bras tend to have broader underwires so they can spread out the breast tissue rather than project it.

🤗Sophie🥰

What is a 'minimizer' bra even? i will take a look at that. I doubt i am a C cup yet- maybe a B???

aboywithgirls

Minimizer bras usually start out at a C cup and go larger from there. I haven't been a C cup since high school. If you're looking for a bra with wider or broader underwires, Elomi, Fantastie, and Freya have some great options for you.

p.r.1974

I have also found Curve Muse on Amazon for lower end minimizers. I did the whole hit and miss thing on line for a long time., but now that I have a better understanding of my starter point, I don't miss as much. Many brands differin sizing between brands and lines under the same brand. This makes my ocd twith a bit, but it is what it is.

I do Lane Bryent and Torrid in person more often than online, but Amazon had been a good source. I have been doing the Prime thing on Amazon for a long time as well, and the shipping time alone makes it worth it for me. I wish I had it when I was beginning the hunt for the right fit.

Confused old man

My BMI score was in the overweight range. Doctor told me to lose 25 lbs...now I’m in the normal BMI score range. Love handles and belly fat is what I lost. Wife talked me into getting a fit at soma. Wonderful sales women in her late 50s helped us. Fitted both my wife and myself. She said....you have a impressive set there fella....hahaha...anyway, I walked out with two underwire bras ...40c. Fit is amazing, can I can hardly feel that I have a bra on....so glad I did that

aboywithgirls

That's wonderful!🥰 I'm so happy that you got yourself professionally fitted! Some has some great bras and fitters.

Offline hawkdaboo3

• Posting Member
My BMI score was in the overweight range. Doctor told me to lose 25 lbs...now I’m in the normal BMI score range. Love handles and belly fat is what I lost. Wife talked me into getting a fit at soma. Wonderful sales women in her late 50s helped us. Fitted both my wife and myself. She said....you have a impressive set there fella....hahaha...anyway, I walked out with two underwire bras ...40c. Fit is amazing, can I can hardly feel that I have a bra on....so glad I did that

lol funny enough I just had a fitting at Soma and I LOVE IT! The saleslady was super kind and helpful - and she showed me this wonderful Bralette. It is extremely comfortable and super easy to put on & take off! It is a nice clasp bra with comfortable adjustable straps. And the material is sooo soft & silky smooth! Also the support is incredible- I removed the cups and the bralette is just keeping everything together!
I am gonna return the racerback sports bra I got from Lane Bryant - these are fantastic! And I love how Soma give you a personal fitting room and are super helpful.
And now my boobs hardly bounce when I do burpees or anything. I am extremely happy! Oh and they hardly dig into my armpits like other bras & compression garments do.

I have so much issue taking off those racerbacks- especially when I am super sweaty after a workout- these are now my go to. Good thing it is on sale.
I still feel very self conscious about walking into lingerie shops- but i felt it was worth it.

This is the one I got
https://www.soma.com/store/product/enbliss+luxe+adjustable+bralette/570309768?color=4570&catId=cat9969291

Offline Busty

That is wonderful you found a bra that works for you and had a good experience getting a fitting and trying on.  Now you have to build the bra collection you will be needing from now on 

Offline brock123

• Silver Member
Comfort and confidence are the most important things; I also say kudos to you!  I can only imagine how hard it would be to walk into a lingerie store.  I'm sincerely glad you were treated with the respect and patience you deserve.  Kudos to Soma as well :) Enjoy the ride!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024