Author Topic: Surgery with Mr Levick 9th April - NEW PICS ADDED  (Read 9262 times)

Offline Squidge

• Posting Member
Hi everyone, this is my first post on here but I’ve been reading through others’ experiences to help me understand what I’m letting myself in for!  I have my surgery with Mr Levick booked for next week (Wednesday); feeling really excited but slightly nervous about it at the same time (despite feeling in very safe hands!).  My consultation was actually the first time I’ve ever openly talked about my gyno, but like others have said, my chest has caused me so much embarrassment & shame and has held me back in so many ways over the years, that it hardly feels real that I’m finally doing something about it!  I’m 30 in July (hence the timing!) and my 2 goals are to wear a t-shirt on my birthday (without a compression vest) and to go on a beach holiday this year without covering up.  Being able to sit in a steam-room without being paranoid about people laughing will also be pretty good!

I’ve half-thought about getting surgery for a few years, but a few weeks ago I went to go swimming (part of a pre-summer health-kick) and after about 10mins of freaking out in the changing cubicle, I couldn’t bring myself to walk through the locker area and to the pool without a top on, so I got dressed, went home and googled gynecomastia forums instead!  After reading other people’s posts and realising how similar other people have felt about their body and that surgery has given them results they’re (on the whole) really pleased with, I booked a consultation the next day.  So in a way it’s been something I’ve thought about constantly for about 15 years, but also a slight snap-decision as well!  I’ve heeded Mr Levick’s advice and I’m taking arnica daily, stopped drinking alcohol, not eating tomatoes or garlic, and have ordered a binder; I’ve also booked 2 weeks off work to recover in (relative) peace afterwards. Like others have done, I will upload some before & after pics and will post updates as I go.  Meanwhile, I’m trying to take it easy over the next few days and eat lots of fruit & veg, but if anyone else has any other advice for the build up to the op and directly after, it’d be really appreciated!  

Will post about my consultation experience separately, just wanted to introduce myself and say hello to others on here first.  
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 06:14:23 AM by Squidge »

Offline gj94x

• Posting Member
Best advice I can give us don't worry about it at all, you really don't need to, and you definitely won't regret it

Offline Donut

• Gold Member
Mr Levick is a genius.

I'd recommend lots of fresh pineapple / juice AFTER (NOT BEFORE) the op - it is supposed to help keep swelling down. I drank a litre of fresh juice a day which was same as 3.5 pineapples apparently, PLUS taking Bromelain tablets (the good bit in pineapple) which I got from Holland & Barrett.

Now, obviously I can't say how much swelling I might have got had I not done that, but I didn't get much at all I don't think, so I figure it was worth it. I did that for as long as 2 jars of Bromelain tablets lasted. Fortunately I love pineapple, so wasn't too much of a chore!!

As daft as it sounds, I almost wish I'd have taken more "before" pics now - I've only got a few. That sounds really stupid as I never want to see those moobs again! - but the pics are great to remind you how far along you've come when you're having a bit of an off day.

Offline Squidge

• Posting Member
Thanks guys.

Thanks for the pineapple juice tip, Donut, will stock up today (while I can carry the heavy bags!).  Will also take plenty of before pics, and will try to get the worst angles! 

1 more question - did you guys shave your chest before the op?  I don't have that much hair, just wondering if it's better to shave beforehand but then I don't want to be itching under the bandages either...

Offline gj94x

• Posting Member
Yeah I used hair removal cream before all over chest and armpits and back of your shoulders as the tape for the dressings go round and it killed when they had to be taken off

Offline Squidge

• Posting Member

Offline Samispeed

• Posting Member
Good luck mate, I'm feeling nervous now and mine is in 2 weeks!

Offline Squire

• Posting Member
Good luck squidge, I agree with gj, don't worry about it. Your goals seem realistic and you have the best surgeon. Before you know it, you'll be returning to work. I shaved my chest and armpits before the op but caught my nipple with the razor; that made my eyes water!

Look forward to seeing your photos and following your progress.

Offline Donut

• Gold Member
Yeh, shave everything!!

Looking forward to progress reports!

Offline Squidge

• Posting Member
Thanks for all the advice guys! I'm now in my room post-op - was seriously woozy for a few hours after! But feeling much better now, just slightly uncomfortable in the binder.  The staff here at the Priory have all been amazing, really warm and attentive. Mr Levick has come to check on me a couple of times and given me plenty of reassurance that everything went well, so fingers crossed for a good result!

Have managed a few hours sleep so far, just needed a break from my bed for a bit, will try for a bit more now. Any tips on how to sleep in binder will be v welcome! The food here is great by the way, would highly recommend the fish cakes!

I will be uploading some before and after pics (obvs will take the 'afters' be on/around 16th, when can take binder off). Just feeling quite elated to now be on the in other side and (hopefully!) in the gyne-free club!

Offline Myers

• Bronze Member
Congrats and welcome to the other side! I tell you now its a pretty exciting and weird experience when you get to take the bandages or binder off. I look forward to seeing your progress and if you need any advice and reassurance feel free to ask :)

Offline Donut

• Gold Member
Ta Da! - another one done!

Congrats and look forward to following progress... I didn't sleep at all in the hospital - I just wasn't that tired!

When you're tired and really need sleep, you'll sleep... it's nature... so don't worry about it too much.

Take it easy a few days, get chomping / drinking pineapple like it is going out of fashion, and keep that compression tight!

Offline Squidge

• Posting Member
Cheers guys!

Myers - already looking forward to taking the binder off to see the results!  Seeing my 'burgers' in the surgery pic is very surreal as it is!

Donut - I slept off and on at the hospital, woke myself up a few times by automatically trying to turn onto my side!  So I put my bed up to almost upright, which isn't a v comfortable position...looking forward to a night in my own bed tonight!  I have a glass of pineapple juice in front of me now while I try to upload some pics..

Offline Squidge

• Posting Member
Some before pics...(which I hope will be good encouragement along the way!)

Offline Squidge

• Posting Member
...and the obligatory Burger Shot!  I was (and still am) really shocked at how much came out.  I knew my gyne was pretty bad, but I think I'd become so good at hiding it over the years with compression vests/dark T Shirts/shirts with pockets etc, that I don't think I realised how big my moobs really were!  Taking the before shots at deliberately unflattering angles was also a bit of a shocker, and a good reminder that I definitely am (and have now) done the right thing. So here they are in all their glory...:

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024