Author Topic: I am bigger then I thought!  (Read 5454 times)

hammer

I've been saying I'm a double D plus for so long I was beginning to believe it myself, but at the same time I've been complaining that my bras have been bugging me more and more! I know that I have posted that my primary care doctor told me to go for a formal fitting but I haven't done that, truth is I really don't go out that much when the weather sucks like it has been!

Well for the last couple days I've research bra fittings and today looked at "Linda the bra lady" so I put on the best supportive bra and had Debbie do some real good measurements on me, double and triple check them, and low and behold I'm a 48H!

I've been stuffing them into some 50DD minimizer bras so it's no wonder I've been feeling pinched! I found some nice full figure back support bras on "Linda the bra lady's" web site but it said that they run small and to order the next size up, so I sent them an email to be sure that I'm ordering the right size, but I think that would be a 50F/FF according to web site sizing chart!

Now I know that a good support bra is really going to require them to get their own zip code, but what else am I to do, my beard still has several inches to grow to cover them and they still will stick out into the next county!  Maybe I can get a gig as a bearded lady, ha, ha!

aboywithgirls

Hey Hammer,
You're in good company. I was putting my girls into a DD and when the fitter came back with a rack of 38E & 38F bras for me to try on, I was a bit shocked. I definitely had a case of.bra size denial. The bras are much more comfortable, however the girls are also more projected than I was at a DD. I'm not sure if they'll ever stop growing??

hammer

I think they have grown a bit again! I started wearing a bra off and on several years ago, it went through ups and downs as for how I felt about it. I started with a "C" cup. When I finally started wearing one most of the time I was in a 50DD that fit just fine. This is why I've been saying for years I'm a DD!

About a year ago the bras stated pinching me and feeling very uncomfortable after a couple hours but I would tough it out, and my breast were hurting along the outsides of them. That is when I finally talk to my primary care doctor at the VA about it. She ask if she should order another monogram, as I had one at the U of MN before coming to the VA, But I didn't think that was needed, so she did an exam and then said I needed good support! I told her that I have been wearing a bra and she said that I needed to go for a fitting.

She also at that time said she could try to make an argument to the VA for me to see if they would do the surgery for me, as they do not normally do it. Both my wife Debbie and I said no, as we don't think that this surgery is a needed surgery, while all the others I've had are. Beside that I'm not sure that they would have anyone that could do a good job on this type of surgery with all the extra skin I would have. No need to make a mess of things!

I don't plan to ever parade around like I'm proud of the breast, but yes one still needs to be comfortable and take care of yourself.

Bob

hammer

Well I had my fitting today and as everyone said it went great! I was measured to a 46H and then fitted to a variety of different style bras. Some I needed 46H, some 46G, while others 48F and I found one that I really liked that was a 46F that fit very nice. It isn't a underwire, however I did find one underwire that I did like, so the plan is, I bought one without the underwire (I'll post the picture, then if I like it I'll order two more). I will hold the one with the underwire in reserve, as that one made me stick out even more, but was very comfortable too in size 46G.

Heres a pictures, I'll also post on "if the bra fits"

Offline Bman41

• Gold Member
Was wondering if you were more fond of underwire or wirefree.   I like underwire better, it is more stable and doesn't give me as much of a uniboob look through my shirt.  So underwire it is.

Yeah, I guess you could say you need a bra!  I look at myself and think oh I don't need one, but my pain sensors tell me otherwise.  We went to Wis Dells recently and I went swimming very little, but looking at the other women there (and some guys), most were smaller than me.  Some guys really could have used a bra.

hammer

These new bras are not underwire, however I did try on and find one that I liked but not as much as these.

There is no question about it, I need a bra!

Offline ALAR

• Posting Member
New member coming to terms with my growing breasts. I need a bra as not only are the nipples really sensitive now and firmer and it just hurts to have a shirt fabric rub on them but the larger and more breast like the tissue the more modest I am about "them".  I cover up when I get out of the shower even at home.  Does a bra help with overall support if I am going to have to live with these objects they might as well look as healthy and attractive as possible.

Also if I were to post pics could anyone help me with my size.  I can't figure the measuring out and at 510 165lbs I am wondering what people might think my cup is.  Nice to find this place!

Offline Bman41

• Gold Member
You need to be fitted really, you can ballpark it with a tape measure, but it is hard to accurately measure yourself.  A fitter knows how a bra should fit properly on the human body, male or female.  Honestly, get fitted.  It is nerveracking, but if you call and talk to the fitter and expain what you are looking for they will gladly help you though it. 

I am 5'11" but heavier and a 40C.  But I measure 41 under bust and 49 over, but a 40C fits best, but the bra calculators come up with like a 44 to 46H, but I am nowhere near that. 

Typically for men the underbust measurement is the band size, not the plus 5 calculation.  Get some idea how much the breast is over your ribcage, if you see roughly an inch, then try an A, 2 inches, try a B.  That seems to work pretty well for me and gives me good coverage and support. 

I have worn a Soma Embraceable Full Coverage 40B the last couple days and it fits ok, 40C is better.  The 40B really makes one side (that is larger) look much more like a female breast.  I feel better in a 40C. 

Try a Vanity Fair 76380 Full Coverage bra, it is a tad smaller in the cup and good coverage.  VERY VERY Comfortable, sides are very comfortable.  One of my favorites.  I like underwire bras far more than wirefree.  Wirefree bras just fits me a little weird. 

Try Macy's (Wacoal 65124 is a great choice to hide the bra from showing), or my favorite, Soma.  Soma bras are fantastic quality, but a bit expensive.  You get what you pay for.  I often buy bras on clearance to save $, the "fashion" colors are often on clearance.  If you buy a bra and it doesn't fit, don't hesitate to return it, just don't pull tags off till you are comfortable with it.  I have worn a bra for a day with tags on just to get a good feel for it.  Cheap bras fit cheap and don't last. 

Playtex and Bali bras run larger in the cups than Vanity Fair, Soma seems more on par with right cup size. 

hammer

My friend is right, go for a fitting! I wore bras for many years with just my wife and I doing the fittings and thought that I was a 50DD. I was just the opposite of Bman41 I was bigger then I thought, I was the 46H not the DD! I guess I was in denial as to how big I was!

I'm in the twin cities Minnesota and went to Allure in St. Paul Grand Ave. and I was treated great! My fitter was Erin and Debbie my wife was with me in the fitting room and said it was much better experience then when she took our daughter to Macy's years ago. Erin said they get men in all the time with gyne for fittings,

Once you get used to wearing a GOOD fitting bra you really don't want to go without one! My primary care doctor told me that I should be wearing one to be more comfortable, and to go for the fitting to be comfortable with the right bra.

The bra you see in my picture cost $59.00 but with the right care and having a couple to change will last about three years, so the way I look at that it is a small price to pay for comfort!

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Bob

Offline ALAR

• Posting Member
This is the one I'm wearing now. It feels too small around the bottom. No elastic mark tho and my breasts feel comfortable so maybe it's not. But I am going to muster up the courage and go for a fitting.

Offline Bman41

• Gold Member
Yeah, that is one of the general problems with bras, the lower band elastic can be a little tight on a male frame if the top elastic fits. 

You might try a Vanity Fair 76380 (or a 76080, the minimizer version of the 76380).  It is VERY comfortable and forgiving there.  You will love it. 

hammer

Gentlemen, I can't remember the exact amount of the portion of the support it provides, but the band is meant to be tight to provide a portion of the support!

Offline Bman41

• Gold Member
Correct, it should be 80% or more of the support.  But it has to fit correctly.  You can't have a loose band, but one that digs in under the rack is makings for a very uncomfortable day. 

What I was commenting on is typically most bras are a little tighter in the lower elastic of the band and the upper is a little looser.  It is catering to a woman's frame that women are usually narrowing in the mid section towards the hips.  Men usually aren't. 

hammer

I see said the blind man as he pick up his hammer and saw!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024