Author Topic: I'd like to hear from the people who actually exercised  (Read 3552 times)

Offline rick57

• Posting Member
I know the question has been asked before about when to start exercising, however I'd like to hear from the people that actually do workout. I want to know when you started after post op, what you did and how it felt. I know you start slow and when you incorporate chest exercises you go light, that's not what I'm looking for.

Oh yeah...and I know everybody heals differently and you need to listen to your body. But I would like to hear from people who incorporated working out again and their experiences. 

Thanks guys

Offline unsure101

• Bronze Member
started to run post 3 weeks.... note, I did run with the compression vest under.

I should have waited 6 or 8 in my opinion. Caused more swelling and when i went to the gym at the 4 week point my areolas always hurt.

To me this means it was not healed 1 0 1, and it is now a silly thought to me to do any upper body work for 6 weeks post.

Offline as400

• Silver Member
Went back to the gym after two weeks. Just light Cv work like cycling and also used a cross trainer with arm movement.

After 4 weeks started to incorporate chest specific excercises and lat pull downs etc though with very light weights.

Great to be able actually see my pecs working!

Also waited 4 weeks before I jogged as my nipples were still sensative and the going up and down motion felt weird.

I wore my vest 24x7 for a week then stopped.

No ill effects felt at all.

My case wasn't major, surgeon took out 1100mls of fat and about 10 grams of gland.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 05:29:11 PM by as400 »
Before you criticise a man walk a mile in his shoes, after that who cares? your a mile away and have his shoes.

Offline mrpower33

• Silver Member
My surgery was pretty minor, but I still waited a full 8 weeks before I went back to lifting.  I think I really needed it.  There was still some swelling and tenderness up until then.  Increased blood flow can really make things a lot worse if you try to go back too early.  I am 11 weeks post-op now and pretty close to where I was pre-op, I think most people can take 8 weeks off and not really be any worse off in turns of strength gains, it will come back pretty quickly (unless you really pig out, which you shouldn't do anyway). 

Offline rick57

• Posting Member
Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback, I'll put in my .02. I'm four weeks post op, I started light cardio about a week ago, bike and elliptical. I thought that would be better than running. I didn't feel too bad afterward, when I got home I massaged my chest and it felt better. I think I might stay with cardio for about another week then try some light weights.

Now that I finally got rid of my gyne I'm anxious and enthusiastic about getting in shape, in fact I've lost thirty pounds since March to get down to 195. I've got about ten to fifteen pounds I'd like to drop before August. I think I'll go to the water park for the first time since I was a kid.

Offline mrpower33

• Silver Member
That's awesome man, I know exactly how you feel.  I am super motivated now to really get in shape. 

Offline Sheldon

• Bronze Member
Spam Chest Dips once ur recovered, i think it wud really help the chest to look good.

Offline don_joe

• Silver Member
My PS told me I could do whatever I wanted 1 month post-op. All I did in the meantime was walking. I actually went fr a 2hrs walk in Toronto 4 days post-op.

I wore the vest the whole time (6 weeks total). Healing is going great, almost no swelling and scar tissue. I am 5 weeks post-op now, 4 days of wearing the vest left !

Offline Sheldon

• Bronze Member
Do u workout at the gym? any concave or crater?

Offline don_joe

• Silver Member
Do u workout at the gym? any concave or crater?

My chest looks great, except for a little scar tissue and barely noticeable swelling.

I do some weight lifting at home, a dozen of reps everyday. I started about 10 days ago. Like I said I did not workout for the 4 first post-op weeks except for walking.
Most of all, I've been wearing the compression vest 24/7 vest for almost 6 weeks now. I'm sure that this, along with the daily massages with Arnica Gel, contributed to the great results I'm experiencing.

Offline x1weak

• Posting Member
I was allowed to workout 3 weeks post....

Your best bet is to just work out when allowed...start slow...and take it from there.  Answers from here are helpful but experience from doing it is the only way you will get the idea where your at.  I wear my vest too.

Offline latediagnosis

• Silver Member
I started working out 4 weeks post op, with about 70% of my usual intensity... I actually found doing chest workouts less painful than back workouts, stretching your arms out for a pull up bar or lat pull-down can really hurt. I think it took me 6 weeks before I could comfortably do a back workout.

I also started cardio on the bike 3 weeks after, I found the treadmill hurt more.

Offline Sheldon

• Bronze Member

Offline rick57

• Posting Member
I started working out 4 weeks post op, with about 70% of my usual intensity... I actually found doing chest workouts less painful than back workouts, stretching your arms out for a pull up bar or lat pull-down can really hurt. I think it took me 6 weeks before I could comfortably do a back workout.

That actually makes a lot of sense to me, as I raise my arms above my head I can see where that stretching could be painful. Working shoulders seems like it would be difficult as well.

Offline Cellar_Door

• Silver Member
I workout like crazy, so this is a severe kick in the stones! But so be it, it's worth it a thousand times over.

I plan to start going for walks around 2 weeks into it, then getting back into the weights 5-6 weeks later, and avoiding chest workouts for at least 6 weeks.
Surgery completed. Mission accomplished!
2/6/09. Dr. Karidis, UK.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024