Author Topic: Bruising??  (Read 4088 times)

Offline Slide931

• Posting Member
What are the signs for bruising after surgery, and what are the best ways to prevent it?

Offline lighting506

• Posting Member
It will appear as any kind of bruising - bright colored patches under your skin. It starts with yellow (the lowest) and can come in purple, green blue...etc

I don't think there's anyway to NOT get bruising, it's something your body automatically produces after the lipo. Best way to control it is wear the compression vest right away.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Bruising is due to free blood under the skin (ie blood not contained within blood vessels). 

It usually starts as red/purple areas and as the body heals and removes the blood, it gradually turns to yellow/gray/green -- and then it disappears.

Bruising is extremely variable.  I have some patients who don't bruise at all -- and others who may have extensive bruising.  Assuming there is no collection of blood within a cavity (your surgeon can tell if this is so), the bruising is innocuous and will disappear within 1-3 weeks with no after-effects.

Sometimes arnica cream, applied to the skin areas away from any incision, can be of help to diminish the bruising more quickly.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

What are the signs for bruising after surgery, and what are the best ways to prevent it?

Bruising is the color changes seen with blood in tissues outside the vessels.  The signs of Bruising after Gynecomastia Surgery are the same as bruising from any other trauma except for the white of the eye.  In most tissues bruising starts as a red brown color that changes quickly to purple.  As the body metabolizes the blood, breakdown products are green, yellow, and brown.  That is what generates the spectrum of colors as bruises mature.

The best way to minimize bruising is with surgical technique, patient education, Compression Garments, and After Surgery Care.  Bruising seen on my demonstrations on my website are typical for my patients. Not all doctors have the same techniques and most will not show their early after surgery photos due to the typical swelling and bruising they have with their methods.

Healing After Gynecomastia Surgery can be a lot quicker with less bruising.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024