Author Topic: Comfort and Sports Bras  (Read 8542 times)

Zufrieden

It seems that mentioning bras gets people's dander up.  So here goes.  Why do woman wear bras?
1)  Comfort
2)  Modesty
3)  To accentuate the breasts
Why should a man wear a bra?  Usually the first two reasons.  If you want to accentuate, it's fine by me.

It used to be that I only needed support for jogging, now I prefer it for walking and at work.  I've seen those manly chest compressors and I'll be damned if I'm going to strap myself into something like that the rest of my life.

Sports bras seem a reasonable solution.  There are basically two different types, compression and encapsulation.  The compression type (which bear no relation to the men's compression garments) are usually simply constructed with no separate cups for the breasts.  In contrast, the encapsulation type attempt to cup the breasts separately and are more similar to a standard "fashion" bra.  For most men, a compression sports bra will decrease breast projection to about what you have when you lie on your back and at the same time prevent jiggling.  The simplest sports bras are the no-hardware pullover type.  To a first approximation they resemble a man's athletic undershirt, although they are shorter, i.e. a crop top.

A compression sports bra works to a B cup, possibly C.  Local stores usually have sizes to 40, sometimes 42.  Larger sizes will probably have to be ordered over the internet.  I'd personally avoid anything with S-M-L sizing, especially if you're not brave enough to try it on in the store (I'm not).  Just remember, stores are in the business of selling stuff.  Just make your selection and go to the cashier, they can't shoot you.  I find a plain white cotton Bestform racerback sports bra serves my needs.  They go for about $4 at your local big box store.

And finally, if your breasts are actually that big, a regular softcup or underwire bra will be more comfortable than anything that compresses the breasts.

Offline WishmasterK

• Global Moderator
  • Bronze Member
I think that many men feel emasculated with the thought of wearing a bra when really all it is a piece of clothing. I know many men who would rather stuff themselves into a chest binder than buy a simple frog sports bra. Same function but more comfortable. I, long ago bought myself an Enell (http://www.enell.com/formen.html). Really it just depends on if you can get over the whole macho masculinity issue.

pjnIL

I really do not understand why people get all worked up about it.  Let me put it this way.  Some people will already think it is weird that a man has breasts.  Some people will think it is odd for a man to wear a bra.  However, they are probably thinking more of a very feminine bra.  I doubt many people would find the idea of a man wearing a sports bra weird.  They will think it is weird that they have breasts.  Then they will think that is weird that they have breasts, I am not surprised that they are wearing a sports bra.  I would probably think more people would find it weird that people would just let them sag and hang then to wear a sports bra.

Offline Jackd

• Silver Member
What if you're walking down the road, get hit by a car and taken to hospital and need to take your shirt off....

would you rather be wearing a vest looking compression shirt, or a ladies sports frog bra thing..

theres your answer.

Offline WishmasterK

• Global Moderator
  • Bronze Member
What if you're walking down the road, get hit by a car and taken to hospital and need to take your shirt off....

would you rather be wearing a vest looking compression shirt, or a ladies sports frog bra thing..

theres your answer.

It wouldn't matter to me, because I would have other things to worry about other than what clothing i was wearing.

i'd still choose the sports bra, if would be easier to get around in the emergency room

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Some of the sport Bras are not sized by chest measurement but S, M, L, etc.

Women's sizes tend to run a bit smaller than mens so if you wear a Large tee shirt, you would need an XL in the womens size. Usually, simply going one size up is sufficient.

The other thing is that men have larger chests than women. Sometimes getting the sizes right can be a chore. It really helps to have an understanding female around when trying to get a proper fit.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Bobcat54

• Posting Member
Paa Paw
See my posting under

Sports Bras or Any Bras

for sizing information that was given to me. It seems to work well.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 11:57:11 PM by Bobcat54 »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024