Author Topic: I might tell my mom soon. People here inspired me to do it.  (Read 6364 times)

Offline GynRuinLife

• Posting Member
I'm 19, entering my 2nd year of college. This condition has pretty much ruined my later teenage years. My gynecomastia started to develop in my Junior year of high school. I was always 10-15 pounds overweight, but my 'man boobs' started to develop right then. In class, three guys pointed them out in front of everyone.I tried brushing it off, but one of the guys just said "No dude...those are breasts". Then, everything just started going down hill. I started to loath beach trips with the family and vacations in general. I started to hate summer, I couldn't work out with friends anymore, I avoided sports. The comments from my chick friends were brutal, they had no idea how much it hurt. Things started getting worse in senior year of high school. Getting into a good university was the only thing I had going for me. I had more friends than ever, but was also extremely detached. I started wearing layers of tight shirts underneath to make my chest look normal. Sometimes, I used duct tape, and have scars from it.

Right now, I'm entering my second year of college, and I've done everything I can to get fit. I'm eating healthy, working out, and my weight is almost at normal range now. Still no progress. It's summer, and my mom keeps nagging to me about just wearing one t-shirt. She hasn't seen my chest in years. I think I'm going to tell her soon, along with my dad. I'm just worried about breaking down. All of the good times I've missed, the lies, the excuses. Freezing when a girl runs her hands across your body, worried she'll touch your chest. I'm fed up with all of it.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Enlisting the help and support of family is the first step and an important one.

I would have to say that gynecomastia never stopped me from anything I wanted to do. My attitude about the Gynecomastia is what actually got into the way.

People who have had surgery describe the feeling as though they had been liberated. Even so, While an out-going person may open up even more, a genuinely shy person will still be shy and a depressed person will find something else to brood over.

Before you seek the help of a surgeon, you should be sure your expectations are realistic.

Dealing with Gynecomastia is a matter of mind over matter. I don't mind so it does not matter. When I got past that, Gynecomastia was reduced to a relatively minor embarrassment that I could deal with.

Grandpa Dan

Offline GynRuinLife

• Posting Member
Paa_Paw

I understand where you are coming from completely, and my story is probably typical, so there's no actual context as far as what kind of person I am and what I want out of life. As a 19 year old, that's something I'm still trying to find out.

That being said, do understand I'm not perfect by any means, but before gyncomastia, I was never uncomfortable in my own body and there was never something about myself I obsessed over. The scars on my body and the glasses I wear are all things that are a part of me I love and embrace. They never made me self conscious and feel less masculine like gynecomastia has. They never stopped me from working out, wearing a t-shirt with friends or going to the beach/pool.

Anyhow, thanks for your input, sometimes it is important to consider the possibility I might grow to accept my condition; although I'm not expecting surgery to give me a perfect, sculpted chest if I don't,

Offline fortheloveofmyson

• Posting Member
I know what you’re going through because I have watched my 16 year old son suffer from this. He has had this for a while. It never stopped him for playing sports, but it has hindered his performance. He will wear layers of clothes and not run as fast as he can because of the bouncing it causes. He will be having surgery in 3 weeks.  Talking to your parents is the first step. You’re not alone and everything your feeling is normal. You need to do what makes YOU feel better. You are still young and you still have time to live a fulfilling live. Keep your head up and follow your heart :)!!!!!!

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
I started to loath beach trips with the family and vacations in general. I started to hate summer, I couldn't work out with friends anymore, I avoided sports. The comments from my chick friends were brutal, they had no idea how much it hurt.

That sounds familiar...

GB...
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Grandpa Bambu

Dealing with Gynecomastia is a matter of mind over matter. I don't mind so it does not matter. When I got past that, Gynecomastia was reduced to a relatively minor embarrassment that I could deal with.

Dan...

Did any of your peers 'tease' you about your Gyne???

GB...

Offline Grandpa Bambu

Paa_Paw

Do understand I'm not perfect by any means, but before gyncomastia, I was never uncomfortable in my own body and there was never something about myself I obsessed over. The scars on my body and the glasses I wear are all things that are a part of me I love and embrace. They never made me self conscious and feel less masculine like gynecomastia has. They never stopped me from working out, wearing a t-shirt with friends or going to the beach/pool.

Agreed!!!

Gynecomastia 'robs' the sufferer of the many pleasures that life offers...

GB...

Offline scottsurgery

• Posting Member
Tell her how it makes you feel (we have all felt that way), get surgery. Good luck!

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
GB Yes I got a lot of teasing but was dependant upon the situation.

Starting at the age of 12 in the Boy Scouts I was more a leader than a follower and there was only slight teasing. Never really serious.

About the same age, I started in Junior High School and we had to change For Physical Education. The teasing got pretty bad. It got even worse in High School until a teacher who was a great mentor and friend encouraged me to get into wrestling. At that point I knew how to hurt anyone who thought my condition was a source of their fun.

From that time on, I refused to volunteer to be anyones victim so they left me alone.

After Basic Training in the Air Force, I was sent to a Medical Technical School. Frankly the teasing becdame less when I was in a group of more intelligent people. That may sound trite, but it is true. After the Air Force, I became a Police Officer. Serious teasing and harrassment were simply not allowed.

If a person is being teased a lot I have two suggestions. First is to stop volunteering to be the victim. Hurt someone if you need to and the teasing will stop. Second, raise your standards for your friends. Anyone who would tease you for something like this is NOT a friend.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024