Author Topic: Surgery with Levick - 28th November (With pics) - Post-op pics page 3  (Read 13098 times)

Offline flattmatt

• Posting Member
So after years of thinking about it and reading this forum, I'm finally getting my chest fixed on 28th. I feel that after all the great posts from others on here, it's only right that I post my experience!

I'm 24 years old, I've had gyne since I can remember and can't wait to get rid of it! After this summer I was determined to get it fixed by next summer, just lying on the beach topless and not worrying how it looks... the little things in life that most people don't even think about.

Anyway, I'm sure we all know how bad it is so onto getting the problem fixed...

1) Choosing a surgeon
This was a no brainer for me, after reading all the posts on here about Levick and the fact that I live in Birmingham, choosing a surgeon was easy.

2) The consultation
I booked a consultation through email, I think there was about a 3 week wait from when I sent the email to the date of the consultation. As others have said, the consultation suite is around the back of the Priory hospital and there is a free car park. When I arrived, I was asked some details about my local GP so it might be handy to have this on you. I was then taken upstairs to a waiting room and soon enough I was called into Levick's room. He really is a nice down to earth guy, after confirming that I did indeed have gyne, he explained exactly how he would fix it. He removes the entire gland (no chance of growing back) and then uses lipo on the fat either side of the nipple to prevent it looking concave.
He then showed me some pictures of previous procedures and before and after shots.

I was happy with everything and so I picked up the information booklet from Gail (Mrs Levick) enquired about surgery dates and went home to think things over.

3) Finding the money
I'm fortunate enough to be in a god job and I can afford to put away a bit of money every month for the op. I could have waited and saved the money but I thought why waste more time? I applied for the Tesco credit card which is offering 16 months interest free on purchases and got accepted with a limit high enough to cover the op  :) Time is priceless and I wanted to get this fixed ASAP, plus it's interest free so I'm not losing out at all.

4) Booking the op and preparing
The hardest part for me was telling my family, I haven't spoke to anyone about this ever so it was a bit worrying springing this on my parents. Luckily they were understanding and have booked days off work etc to help me out  :)

I emailed Gail and booked the op for 28th November (Levick operates on Wednesdays and Thursdays). I paid for the op, sent off registration forms and finally this was actually happening!

Now is prep time! As advised by Levick, I am taking arnica twice a day for the week before surgery. I have ordered the compression vest from Macom (Use discount code MYBREAST) and I'm starting to get together all the little things I'll need on the day. So far my list is:

• Dressing gown
  • Slippers
  • Zip up hoody
  • Button up shirt
  • Cotton boxer shorts?
  • Pineapple juice

Is there anything else I have missed? Also what is the deal with the boxer shorts? If they're cotton you can keep them on but otherwise you have to wear the paper pants? Is that right? Also, how long after surgery should I wait before I drink alcohol? I'm planning to wait at least a week or so but as it is the festive season, it's going to be difficult!

So that's it, just want to say thanks to everyone on here for posting your experience's, without you I probably would have never gone through with this.

I'll try to get some pics up soon.

5) The op!
... see you on the other side  ;)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 09:00:30 AM by flattmatt »

Offline farao_101

• Bronze Member
Congrats on booking the surgery!!!

About the alcohol, Levick told me at least one week. Longer is better, you should also avoid vitamin e for one week prior and after the surgery!

Good luck :)

Offline improving

• Silver Member
The pants thing is a mystery. I was told by a nurse "you should be able to to keep your pants on" - i was just wearing calvin klein boxers. But then Farao got the paper pants, i reckon he was wearing a thong ;D

I purchased plaster remover from boots (£1.99) to help get the dressing off along with some Bio oil for later on down the line if I required massage for the scar tissue. Then just stuff to keep you occupied at home like dvd's, computer games, magazines.

Well done on booking, its an important step, your in great hands.

Offline farao_101

• Bronze Member
haha:) i too had some cotton, bjorn borg! But i was told to change to the nice paper pants. I didn't really care.. Hade a few other thoughts at that moment :p

Offline sjwsjw

• Gold Member
I'm booked in for surgery with karidis on the 29th. I haven't started taking any arnica yet just says after in the pack? Should I start taking some?

Offline farao_101

• Bronze Member
I didn't take any before. Mainly because a read a post her, i think i was by dr.pope. Definitely one of the doctors, saying arnica could make your heart do funny things while under G.A! I didn't take any chances, but read that many have been taking it up to two weeks prior..

here it is

[quote author=Dr. Pope link=topic=20406.msg139437#msg139437 date=1270421364]
You'd better check with your surgeon.  The anesthesiologists I use don't want my patients to take Arnica preop, as that medication may make the heart do funny things under anesthesia. 

Dr. Pope, M.D.
[/quote]

Offline sjwsjw

• Gold Member
Thanks farao I'll stick with what the pack says and just take it after. Levick might have a different view.

Offline Pez2

• Bronze Member
Congrats on booking the surgery. 4 days to go! Mines with levick in 3 weeks time, its going fast and I can't wait. Telling family is almost as hard If not harder then deciding on surgery itself.
Gyno free :)

Offline farao_101

• Bronze Member
pez2: Agreed! I told my girlfriend 10 days before, and we had never had a conversation on the topic! Was way harder than book the surgery!!!

Offline flattmatt

• Posting Member
Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to it especially after seeing some of Levick's recent results!

As for the arnica, here's what it says in Levick's information booklet:

"One tablet should be taken twice daily for one week prior to surgery

On the morning of the operation, you should take two tablets and after surgery continue taking two tablets every four hours for another week.

Then reduce the dosage to one tablet twice daily for a further week

Discontinue two weeks post-operatively
"

Not sure what to do now? ???

Offline Poland2012

• Silver Member
If it's homeopathic arnica, scratch it, it's just a placebo.

Offline improving

• Silver Member
I took one tablet twice a day, for 5 days before. Mainly because I forgot, i would have taken them a week before.

I'm still alive :)

Offline farao_101

• Bronze Member
Like Levick said to me ; there are no scientific studies that prove the medical effectiveness of Arnica. It's only a homeopathic medicine. With that said, it cant hurt you. So might as well i take it. I have been taking it everyday after my surgery.. Only concern is what dr.pope wrote here earlier. Maybe just skip it on surgery day?? problem solved ;)

Offline Poland2012

• Silver Member
When you have small scientific trials, there may be a couple that show false positives just as a matter of chance alone. The solution to this is 'systematic reviews', which look at all the relevant trials that have been conducted, and weight them according to their quality. A systematic review found that;

"The claim that homeopathic arnica is efficacious beyond a placebo effect is not supported by rigorous clinical trials." (Ernst and Pittler, 1998)

As there is no scientific evidence to support the use of arnica, I think it's incredibly irresponsible for a licensed doctor to recommend it. It's not as if it were free.

Offline improving

• Silver Member
I'm quite happy with the placebo effect as daft as it sounds. I mean, i know the arnica probably isn't doing anything, but it gives me some comfort in taking it for some reason.

Similarly with the pineapple juice, I don't particularly think it has much of an effect, but it makes me happier that i'm drinking it. Maybe i'm weird :) I'll take the placebo effect it brings me comfort :)

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024