Author Topic: after the dreadful doctor visit..  (Read 4026 times)

speckster

alright! so, i ended up e-mailing my mom about my problem and she booked me an appointment. i went to the doctor a few minutes ago, and he told me my case is pretty serious. it was pretty embarrassing, but it turns out that he had it to when he was a kid. he said that most people wait it out and it will most likely go away by the time i'm 18, but i asked him about any medication or other remedies. he said that i should go home and research a drug called "raloxifine", the product name for it is "evista" i was wondering if any of you guys have tried this. he said that he has dealt with many cases and has never perscribed this before. he told me all these risks and whatnot, but i'm only 16.. so i didn't really know what to say. please update me on anything about this drug! whether it be good or bad. what would you guys do if you were in my situation?!

thanks,
love ya!

DrBermant

alright! so, i ended up e-mailing my mom about my problem and she booked me an appointment. i went to the doctor a few minutes ago, and he told me my case is pretty serious. it was pretty embarrassing, but it turns out that he had it to when he was a kid. he said that most people wait it out and it will most likely go away by the time i'm 18, but i asked him about any medication or other remedies. he said that i should go home and research a drug called "raloxifine", the product name for it is "evista" i was wondering if any of you guys have tried this. he said that he has dealt with many cases and has never perscribed this before. he told me all these risks and whatnot, but i'm only 16.. so i didn't really know what to say. please update me on anything about this drug! whether it be good or bad. what would you guys do if you were in my situation?!

thanks,
love ya!

Modification of the hormonal system is best deferred to an experienced Endocrinologist.  Most Endocrinologists I have worked with do not feel comfortable modifying the delicate balance of hormones during puberty unless there is an underlying specific problem. 

Being patient helps, in most cases puberty gynecomastia goes away on its own. Gynecomastia that has not resolved by two years typically does not go away.

"How old should you be before considering Gynecomastia Surgery" are very common questions.  What age depends on many factors.  You can find many examples of Picture Gallery of Teenagers before and after Gynecomastia Surgery here.

We have many patients, family members, and parents who have raved how a compression garment can really help while waiting for surgery or until stabilization of a problem.

Body shaping garments are a good temporary contouring solution.  They do not help remove or treat gynecomastia.  When the garment is removed, the gynecomastia is still there.  They can provide an emotional band-aid for the stress of contour issues and bouncing tissues.

There is a theoretical advantage for the person losing weight.  Scars that evolve under pressure do better than scars without pressure.  These garments are designed to help with pressure and scar evolution.  With weight loss, there is the issue of skin shrinkage.  Pressure may help.  However, there are no studies to evaluate such issues.  Trying to design such a study is difficult if not impossible.

You can see actual examples of Compression Chest Contouring Without Surgery for different types of gynecomastia here:

Compression Contouring After Massive Weight Loss

Body Shaping for Puffy Nipples

Body Shaping Compression Contouring for Overweight Male - This one shows the Black Vest in use.

Body Shaper Compression Garment for Severly Obese Male

Check out the multiple views for each patient. Clink on the links to see other views of the garment and features of this design I prefer.  We have tried many other brands and none seem to come close to what this one offers.

After surgery compression garments do not do well in pool water or sea water.  The salt or chlorine can damage the fabric.  There are Sun Protection Clothing Options designed for water use. 

A wet suit can also help.  Using a thin neoprene like Microprene can flatten the chest in water like a compression garment can help on land.  The after surgery garments do not work well in water, the wet suits do.  Both can be hot to wear, that is why I prefer a very thin garment.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024