Author Topic: Still puffy nipple after gynecomastia surgery ??!!  (Read 40542 times)

Offline MsA89

Still puffy nipple after gynecomastia surgery ??

I had gynecomastia surgery before a month, but now my nipple is puffy ??

Is that going to stay like that or it will reduce ??

DrBermant

Still puffy nipple after gynecomastia surgery ??

I had gynecomastia surgery before a month, but now my nipple is puffy ??

Is that going to stay like that or it will reduce ??

1 month can be very early after surgery with some techniques.

Posting Standard After Gynecomastia Pictures can help other better understand your concerns.

How Soon Do You See Results After Gynecomastia Surgery depends on many factors, we tend to see instant results for my patients.  However, I prefer to optimize Healing After My Male Chest Surgery such that early results are possible.

Firm tissues after surgery can be residual gland, but also can just be healing tissues or scars.  Different surgical techniques injure tissues to different degrees. Time to tissues softening can vary depending on the original problem, what was done, after surgery care,
Scar Care, After Surgery Compression Garments, and many other factors. Options depend on the problem to be treated. Time can range from 6 months to a year but can vary depending on many issues best explored with your doctor.

I see many patients who complain of residual Puffy Nipple Gynecomastia after another doctor's surgery.  There are many possible problems causing such a deformity.  The most common is remaining gland behind the areola as seen in these Anatomy of Puffy Nipple Drawings.  Check out the images with the link for remaining gland after surgery to see what I mean. 

Liposuction is great for fat, but does not do well for gland at all.  As shown in the anatomy link, there are usually fingers of gland between fingers of fat.  Liposuction no matter what technique (sharp cutting cannula, specially designed cannula, ultrasonic, laser, or "smart") targets the fat first.  Remove the fat and the gland remains behind condensing the fingers making a firm mass.

Even if the doctor achieves a flatter chest, that firm mass does not look like fat, move like fat, or compress like fat.  It just does not move well or look good (especially on animation).  That is why few doctors will show results with chest muscles tightened or arms up over the head or movies showing the tissues in motion.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Revision Gynecomastia Surgery

Offline MsA89

Thanks alot dr.Michael for ur replay

so if it is a gland that is causing the puffy nipple, what it could be done ? or would the nipple be normal in a while ?

cheers

Offline lighting506

• Posting Member
The only way to cure the puffy nipples is to remove the gland part.

- Tom

Offline WolfParade

• Posting Member
"Removing the gland" ? Is this what my norwegian doctor (I do live in Norway after all) were so afraid of dealing with, because of danger of what in norwegian is called "innsøk"? you know, that the nipple after such a surgery would point INWARDS instead of OUTWARDS, and thus making my chest look even more horrifying?

You see, I've gotten comments from friends that my puffy nipples shows through my shirt, thus making me feel terrible. Thus I guess I want to take the risk. Or do I?

:'(

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
It is possible to remove excess tissue beneath the nipple/areola and not have an inverted nipple or crater deformity.  Experienced gyne surgeons know just about how much tissue (gland) to remove and how much tissue to leave -- that is the art of this operation.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

"Removing the gland" ? Is this what my norwegian doctor (I do live in Norway after all) were so afraid of dealing with, because of danger of what in norwegian is called "innsøk"? you know, that the nipple after such a surgery would point INWARDS instead of OUTWARDS, and thus making my chest look even more horrifying?

You see, I've gotten comments from friends that my puffy nipples shows through my shirt, thus making me feel terrible. Thus I guess I want to take the risk. Or do I?

:'(

I prefer to Target Gynecomastia Gland First with my Dynamic Technique and have yet to create a Crater Deformity in one of my own patients.  This is part of the skill of a surgical sculptor and why it is so critical in selecting a surgeon for this operation.

You can find many before and after surgery examples of Puffy Nipple Gynecomastia Photograph Gallery.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline WolfParade

• Posting Member
I see. Have you done the surgery on 18 year olds, or do you think that is too soon? (my doctor seems to think so, but he's norwegian, and norwegians are know to be cowards so...). I made a topic about this just now, please check it out :)

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I have done gyne surgery on selected patients as young as 12 to 13 years of age -- no problem.

In your case, you have already had gyne surgery (correct?) and are concerned about a residual puffy nipple one month after the operation. Best advice is to give it time to heal -- there are many factors which may result in what appears to be residual puffiness after the operation.  Over time, many of these problems may resolve by themselves.

Would recommend you wait until about 6 months after surgery, when you should have your final results.  Then, if the problem persists, you should visit your surgeon to discuss.  It may only be some scar tissue, which could respond to some kenalog injections.  If there is residual breast tissue present, then perhaps re-operation to carefully remove the excess tissue may may be considered.  Your surgeon is the person who would best know which is which.

Dr Jacobs

Offline WolfParade

• Posting Member
In your case, you have already had gyne surgery (correct?)

Well, they only took out fat from my chest. (Think its called a liposuction?) My doctor said that there could be complications with a normal removal of the gland, so we "agreed" on not doing that. But I'm very certain, as was he to be honest, that the gland is the problem here, so I dunno why we even bothered with the liposuction, I mean I'm sure it helped in some way, cant really remember, but still my areola-area is mostly like it were before I think - sticking out from my chest noticably (even with a t-shirt on). But I'll call up my doctor tomorrow and talk with him :)

DrBermant

I see. Have you done the surgery on 18 year olds, or do you think that is too soon? (my doctor seems to think so, but he's norwegian, and norwegians are know to be cowards so...). I made a topic about this just now, please check it out :)

Yes, I have operated on many young patients for gynecomastia surgery. You can find several examples here in this Teenager Gynecomastia Before After Picture GalleryHow Old Before Gynecomastia Surgery is a common question.

Male Breast Reduction in 16 year old Teenager

Male Breast Reduction in 17 year old Teenager with Klinefelter's Syndrome

Gynecomastia Male Breast Reduction in 15 year old male with Klinefelter's Syndrome

Well, they only took out fat from my chest. (Think its called a liposuction?) My doctor said that there could be complications with a normal removal of the gland, so we "agreed" on not doing that. But I'm very certain, as was he to be honest, that the gland is the problem here, so I dunno why we even bothered with the liposuction, I mean I'm sure it helped in some way, cant really remember, but still my areola-area is mostly like it were before I think - sticking out from my chest noticably (even with a t-shirt on). But I'll call up my doctor tomorrow and talk with him :)

Yes, as discussed in my earlier post in this tread, liposuction is great for the fat but does not work well on the gland component. Revision gynecomastia surgery is an art form. You should carefully check to see what your surgeon's results look like before risking another misadventure.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Revision Gynecomastia and Chest Surgery

DrBermant

The only way to cure the puffy nipples is to remove the gland part.

- Tom

Actually, I have seen puffy nipples caused by recent hormonal gland swelling resolve itself without any surgery. Stop the stimulation and the gland swelling resolves. If residual fibrotic gland (burned out gland) is still a contour problem, then surgery may be warranted. So many adolescent men have transient gynecomastia. Scars from even the best surgery cannot match the look of the chest that resolves on its own. What gynecomastia that has not resolved by 2 years typically does not go away.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, M.D.
Board Certified
American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member: American Society of Plastic Surgeons and American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons
Specializing in Gynecomastia and Surgical Sculpture of the Male Chest
(804) 748-7737

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024