Author Topic: Question about gyne  (Read 3510 times)

Offline mm11

Since I am about 20-30 pounds overweight(I'm 5'9 190), and if I lost most of the fat that is in my chest, wouldn't the "moobs" be less prominent because the gland is usually only the size of a golfball? I would do only cardio and no weight lifting, so I won't be building muscles in my chest. The moobs do really bother me lot psychologically a lot, but  I don't think risking my health and paying a lot of money for the surgery would be a good idea.  I am fine with my weight, and I'm not to concerned about it, so I don't want to go on a strict exercise and diet program if it won't do any good for my moobs. Also, I've been at this weight for a year, so I'm not gaining anymore weight.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
The most common experience in this area is that weight reduction usually has only a small effect on the breast area.

The breast area would seem to be one of the first places where many of us have fatty deposits and then the last place where we are likely to lose it.

Rarely does the breast consist of either fatty tissue or glandular tissue exclusively. Most commonly there is both fatty and glandular tissue. Weight loss, even to an unhealthy extent, would have no effect upon the glandular tissue present.
Grandpa Dan

Offline mm11

I meant that if you lose most of the fat in your chest it would go down a good amount because your "moob" cannot all be breast tissue, and the breast tissue is usually not that large.(well not in my case because I am overweight)

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Having been overweight at anytime in your life is a double whammy.  First, you have put fat on your chest-- that is one of the first places it lands and one of the last places it leaves.  Second, when you are heavy, your metabolism shifts and you produce estrogen, which then stimulates  your own breast tissue (every man has some breast tissue) to grow and enlarge. Thus, you will have both fat and breast tissue on your chest. The result is gyne. 

When/if you lose weight, the fat component of your chest may diminish (as will the surrounding areas of your body) but the breast tissue remains.  The net effect is that your gyne will diminish somewhat -- but in comparison to the rest of your body, it will still be prominent.

Sorry.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Dr. Cruise

• Supporting Doctors
  • Gold Member
  • Dr. Cruise
    • http://lagynecomastia.org/
Getting closer to your ideal weight is always a good idea. This will help the fatty component causing gynecomastia, however the breast tissue contributing to the problem is almost always greater than the size of a golf ball. It's often the size of a flattened tennis ball and sometimes as large as the size of a flattened softball. Unfortunately, this component of gyne is minimally affected with weight loss. Do not be afraid to increase your pec muscles. I found this to be a fallacy. While it may increase the size of your chest, it will always improve the contour/tightness of the chest and improve the overall look.
Dr. Cruise
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
2081 San Joaquin Hills Road
Newport Beach, CA 92660
949-644-4808
Before and After Pictures
Types of Gynecomastia

DrBermant

Since I am about 20-30 pounds overweight(I'm 5'9 190), and if I lost most of the fat that is in my chest, wouldn't the "moobs" be less prominent because the gland is usually only the size of a golfball? I would do only cardio and no weight lifting, so I won't be building muscles in my chest. The moobs do really bother me lot psychologically a lot, but  I don't think risking my health and paying a lot of money for the surgery would be a good idea.  I am fine with my weight, and I'm not to concerned about it, so I don't want to go on a strict exercise and diet program if it won't do any good for my moobs. Also, I've been at this weight for a year, so I'm not gaining anymore weight.

Actual gland in the male breast varies greatly in size. I have seen men with only a thin layer of gland under their nipple such that essentially 100% of the contour problem was fat alone. You can begin to see the assumption that male gland is a "typical size" is just way off base by looking at this Gynecomastia Gland Gallery. Firm tissues in the male chest can be gland or firm fat. Here you can see some of the wide variations of Gynecomastia Anatomy and Puffy Nipple Anatomy with different size glands.

What happens to the chest with weight loss varies from individual to individual. Weight Loss can help with the fat component of gynecomastia, but you cannot pick where the fat comes from the body and residual gland and fat can still be an issue. In that case the residual gland were nowhere the size of "golf balls."  Surgery is not an alternative to losing weight. Someone with global fat will still have that global fat covering the muscles contour. Such compromise surgery results in smaller breasts, but still breasts. The main factor is that weight loss feels so much better for most. That is why I recommend my patients get to a weight they are happy with. Weight loss becomes the coarse tool. Surgery can then be for refinement if needed. And many, especially those with a small gland element, may feel just fine with the weight loss alone avoiding the surgery altogether.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
In my late teens, early twenties, I was approx 240 lbs with G. In an effort to rid myself of 'THE CURSE', I dropped my weight down to 148 lbs. At six feet tall, that is very thin. However, the G remained... :(   My m(o)(o)bs were 'somewhat' smaller, but still remained none-the-less... Needless to say, I was devastated that all the hard work that I put into getting down to 148 lbs trying to get rid of the G was for naught...  :'(   Actually, dropping all that weight made my G much more noticeable...  An overweight guy with boobs is 'somewhat' socially acceptable. However, a skinny guy with boobs just looks downright ODD....

For most of us, dropping weight through diet/exercise, will not help...

Sorry dude...   :-\

GB...
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024