Author Topic: Surgery in US vs. Europe?  (Read 2095 times)

Offline ReadyToDoThis

I currently live in Georgia, and I will be moving to Germany in a few months. 
I really would like to get my situation taken care of, I have really bad gynecomastia.

I know there are a couple good doctors in GA, but am I risking trying to squeeze a surgery in, and moving overseas at the same time? 

Would I be better to find a doctor in Germany when I arrive there?  Or does that seem even more risky?

I also read some posts on here where people are going to Poland, because of price (although have received good results), but the idea of having a medical procedure in a country I'm not familiar with, Poland or Germany, scares me.

I'm looking for any suggestions anyone may have.  It seems as though the one advantage of US vs overseas is that it's cheaper overseas (in Poland anyway).  But is the procedure, and post-healthcare up to par with what I can expect in the states?

Offline Xavier

• Bronze Member
I live in Europe and my first plan was to undergo surgery in the US with one of the doc's on this website as they are very experienced in the field. But the hassle of traveling 9 hours by plane just for surgery including the high costs made me decide to find a decent surgeon in Europe. Germany definitely has good surgeons, but only a few are familiar with gynecomastia. So you might have to travel within Germany to see the surgeon. The best thing to do is search on Google for surgeons who you think have experience with it. This is the way I found my surgeon as well. I will be paying around 3000 Euro's (around 3700$ I believe) which is quite a good price compared to the US.

Anyway, if you are moving in the next 5 weeks I would definitely do surgery in Germany. But if you can get surgery at least 5-7 weeks before your departure, you can do it in the US.

Offline ReadyToDoThis

Thank you for the reply.  I sent you a private message.

Offline ReadyToDoThis

Can anyone point me to some doctors in Germany who perform this procedure?  The few that I have found on Google seem to have very little information, and perform only lipo.

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
You don't mention your line of work, or whether you are in the military, perhaps headed to a German base?

One thing to consider is the amount of downtime you'll have after the surgery. Will you be starting a new job in Germany? If so, will you be able to take off sufficient time to heal? If you are moving in a few months, there is plenty of time to have the surgery in the U.S. and heal before your move.  But if you think you can save money by having the surgery in Germany, and you can take off enough time to heal, you may prefer that.

Dr. Pope, MD
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024