Author Topic: needing some info  (Read 2963 times)

Offline Finrod

• Posting Member
A question for everybody. Today i picked up the test that my ps told me to do and the ones i'm supposed to take to the endo next week (actually i have appointments with two different endos to get at least two opinions) and the thing is that it's not what i though it was. It's just something about hemoglobine and i cant's see what the endo can do with that info.

My question is, what are the specified blood studies i should tell my endos to write me down to do ?? Testosterone levels and strogen levels?? What are the specific names of the blood studies

pd: My quirurgic risk studies went great, i'm a perfect candidate for the operation.

pd2: Spleen, sos de arg en caso de que si, de que parte??

Offline hypo

Typically hormone investigations in the US should involve;

Total/serum testosterone- free testosterone or both
LH
FSH
Estradiol
Prolactin
May include SHBG
TSH (hopefully)
Estrone (would be nice)

Other tests may be taken but the above are the bare bones/important ones.

In the UK or Europe it is more likely to look like this;

Total testosterone
LH
FSH
SHBG
Estradiol
Prolactin
TSH (hopefully)
Estrone (would be nice)

Free testosterone is a great guide to male hormonal health if the assay can be relied upon, but it is not used at all in the UK/rarely in Europe.  The use of free testosterone has to a certain degree negated some of the need for SHBG.  

In all instances where total testosterone is used and free testosterone not tested for SHBG is very important and should always be tested for.  

Estradiol is a must given that it is the most potent estrogen in the male endocrine system.  

It would be nice if Estrone was tested for given its implication in certain diseased states.  

LH and FSH are vital to help diagnose the nature of hypogonadism if it is indicated via the other biochemical parameters.  

TSH can help diagnose those who have thyroid problems or at least point to additional tests to help diagnose thyroid problems.  This is helpful given that 2% of all gynecomastia sufferers have hyperthyroidism and hypothroidsm can cause obesity and indirectly cause gynecomastia.  

LFTs Liver function tests can be useful given that 8% of gynecomastia suffers have liver function problems.  That said these are usually carried out only when symptoms dictate.

ABCs/general pathology and biochemistry is also sometimes ordered.

Dynamic test and where a stay in hospital is required and MRI scans are sometimes ordered by endocrinologists, usually to ascertain the cause of diagnosed hypogonadism where the origin is not obvious.

Genetic tests are something that endocrinologists order if general pathology or examinations indicate the need.

What is tested for depends upon the endocrinologists and his suspicions.  For this reason it is always good to see an endocrinologists who specializes in dealing with reproductive issues.  

Offline Finrod

• Posting Member
Wow, you lost me at "Typically hormone investigations..."
jaja just kidding. It's just that between the fact that i'm not very well informed in the subject (working on this one) and that i'm argentinian, i really don't understand many of the words like LH, FSH, SHBG, TSH, etc. I'll look for them in the google though, and i will also take note of the studies you mention and take them to the endos this week to see what they think.
Again, thanks a lot for the info hypo.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024