Author Topic: My Story with GYNO  (Read 4285 times)

Offline blueturtle80085

• Posting Member
Hello Hello Hello.

I've been an observer to this site for quite some time, and I'd like to applaud everyone who contributes. It really is a wealth of knowledge and advice.

I too suffer from gyno. Here is my story:

Growing up I was really tall and skinny. I found sports at an early age and it always provided me with an outlet and thankfully kept me off drugs and out of trouble. I can remember being in maybe 7th grade so I'm guessing about 12 years of age when I first noticed a lump under both my nipples. I can remember thinking that for some strange reason I had breast cancer but I was too shy and scared to talk to anyone about it. Well, a year or so passed and it finally went away right before I entered highschool.. you can only imagine how relieved I must have felt, right?

So highschool past, and with it girlfriends and great memories. I was all state in three sports and was offered a football and track scholarship to a fairly large and competitive D-1 school, and best of all I was in great spirits and shape. No gyno symptoms whatsoever.

Man, those were the days. I used to spend so much time training for football and track. I loved being in the gym and working out all the time because I always noticed the results, no matter how small they were. I used to be in such great shape that at times I'd model for Abercrombie and Fitch at my local mall during the busy shopping season while I was in college. I'm guessing at this time in my life i was about 6'5" and 210lbs, roughly 9.0% body fat.

Then things started to go downhill. Our coach left after my junior season in college and because of some off the field incidents my new coach decided to take my scholarship away. Losing football really started to make me depressed so I started to drink a lot. I was referred to a counselor/psychologist who put me on Effexor XR for anxiety and depression. While I was taking this and spending a lot of my time locked up in my apartment i gained about 30lbs of weight and noticed the sensation again that i had first experienced under my nipples as a teen.

I again decided to ignore it however this time it didn't go away and over the last few years its only gotten worse. I'd say the mass under each nipple is roughly the size of a tennis ball cut in half. The sad thing is it slowly continues to get worse. It discourages me from working out in the gym because I know no matter how hard I work, nothing will make it look better or go away and because of this, I'm just plain out of shape. I prefer baggy heavy clothes, because I feel like if I'm in anything tight it's like putting a sign on my chest that says "HI STARE AT MY MAN BOOBS"

I'm not really that vein though. I've lived with it for almost 3 years now, and although I can't say it's gotten any easier to live with I've gotten better at being okay with it.

Now i just need help steering myself in the right direction. I'm a little disappointed that insurance companies are taking the stance that men are only having the procedure done for cosmetic reasons. However, I've read about a few people who have had success with getting their PPO to cover at least the excision part of the surgery. I guess it's all in how persuasive you can be to the insurance company and convince them that if they don't cover the surgery they'll be covering years of counseling and medication for the physical and physiological pain this condition causes you.

Then, regardless if my insurance company decides to cover the cost I have to consult with my doctor right? I've had some bad experiences with this because almost all physicans I speak with aren't very understanding and assume this condition has developed because of drug or steroid abuse which is sooooooo far from the truth. No matter how i explain to them that I've never used steroids and this is a condition I first noticed after being on anxiety/depression medication they continue to accuse me of lying and say they can't resolve anything till I tell them what steroids I've taken. That's maybe the hardest part of having gyno is having the public think it's because of steroid abuse, although I've honestly never ever taken any sport supplements you can't buy at GNC mostly because they're banned by the NCAA and I would never risk my eligibility.

The next frustrating part is finding a competent and experienced PS. I mean, I've seen soooo many pictures of patients with indented nipples it's sad. I think that's almost as bad if not worse then having gyno. I still don't' understand why surgeons are insistent on making an incision on or below the nipple to remove the gland when so many other Plastic Surgeons are having great success at making an incision in the armpit that is hardly noticeable and leaves the nipple/chest looking much better and natural. It almost makes me feel like the PS cares more about getting the surgery done fast then the patients satisfaction. If anyone could explain to me when PS's continue making the incision on the nipple and leaving it scarred and indented I'd be amused in finding out why this is the best procedure for them.

Lastly is the cost. I see threads on here all the time about this subject; But for a recent college grade with 20,000+ USD of debt I can get surgery for less then 3,000USD in India including airfare and a week of hotel versus staying in the United states and paying up-wards of 5-8k not including airfare, travel etc. I know it's all based on the surgeons experience but I've yet to see before and after pictures that i was amazed by and made me say that's the surgeon for me. I also hear lots of posters say how important it is to be realistic but I don't understand why asking for my chest to look like it did before gyno as being unrealistic? I mean we've got Plastic surgeons performing facial reconstruction surgery on burn and car crash victims that look amazing, why should I have to believe that operating on a gland and some fat on the chest, an area that's not even as delicate or tough to operate on as the face, should be so difficult?

I don't know. These are just some questions that lead me to be extremely frustrated with not only my gyno, but gyno in general. I'd thought I'd let everyone else on the board know where I was coming from and hopefully I can find the time to continue posting.

Have a good day everyone

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Alcohol is toxic to both the liver and the testes which can be problematic. You mentioned prescription antidepressant medications, Some of them are also linked with Gynecomastia.

Dr. Bermants site has a list of medications that have Gynecomastia as a possible side effect. You may want to check it out.

Many of us here have similar histories, You are not alone.

Good Luck!
Grandpa Dan

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
If anyone could explain to me when PS's continue making the incision on the nipple and leaving it scarred and indented I'd be amused in finding out why this is the best procedure for them.

Almost no scarring and no indents...  ;)

The skill of the surgeon, and how the patient heals, plays a big part in end results....

When I was researching PS's for my GRS, there were 2 local doctors that I was considering. Dr. John Craig Fielding and Dr. Frank Lista. JCF uses the periareola incision technique and Dr. Lista uses PAL only. As money was a factor, I decided to go with Dr. Fielding. Dr. Lista's fee at the time was $5400 and JCF w/OHIP assistance, was $1280. That's a $4120 savings! I could live with possible scarring for $4120. As it turns out, one side you cannot detect a scar and the other, it's just barely visible. If you're not looking for it, you wouldn't notice it. I'm one happy camper!

However... I hear ya dude. You're probably thinking 'Why take the risk of ending up with unsightly scars' right? You have a very good point my man. It's really up to the individual tho and what they personally would be satisfied with. For a young man in his late teens/early twenties, I can fully understand how he could be concerned about periareola scarring.

Life is about choices dude... All you have to be concerned with is the best choice for you!  ;)

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Grandpa Bambu

I was all state in three sports and was offered a football and track scholarship to a fairly large and competitive D-1 school.

I have heard this many, many times... What exactly is 'All State'?

GB

Offline Noseguard

• Silver Member
  • You t*t, what's he gonna do nibble your bum?
In most state this refers to a newpaper rating.

In Massachusetts the Boston Globe after each season names a first team (and second and third) "All State" team.   It is an all star team that never actually plays a game.  The paper names the players,  usually by postion or in track by event, and then send them a letter or certificate to make it official.

Usually in each state there is on paper that is recognized as the leader.  Smaller papers will name teams too, but usually those are for a given county or league.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

So does that then mean that the Boston Globe is saying that the individual athlete is the 'best/most talented' in the entire state of Mass?

It's sorta like a 'Dream Team' then?

GB

Offline Noseguard

• Silver Member
  • You t*t, what's he gonna do nibble your bum?
Exactly.

For football they will name a first team quarterback, tackle, tight end.......and each can be from different schools/towns.

All State is not a designation that any state does itself.

In some states there is an interschoolastic governing body that names an official all state team too, but it works the same way as the Boston Globe example.  It is a dream team of sorts.

Again, they not only name the first team, but the second, third, and even honorable mention as well too.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

Thanks for the info dude...  ;)

GB

Offline blueturtle80085

• Posting Member
Thanks for the responses...

Quick questions to all my neighbors up North... Does anyone know when or if Plastic Surgeons in Canada are going to consider taking patients from the US?

Thanks again

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024